Corsair Community

Gigabyte 8KNXP (Non-Ultra) F10 BIOS and 1024 MB XMS 3700

KingMierda

I have a huge problem with my PC and it comes from either one of those components, I am sure of it. My system restarts randomly, when I am reinstalling windows, when I am formatting, when I am playing, on the net, etc... Memtest86 and Windows Memory Diagnostic don´t diagnose any problems, what is it then? Please Help Me. My System: P4 @ 3.06 GHz with HT Gigabyte 8KNXP (Non Ultra) Ver 1.0 - BIOS F10 1024 MB XMS 3700 @ 466 MHz Asus GeForxe FX 5950 Ultra with 256 MB Western Digital 200 GB Creative Audigy 2 Platinum

To Delayed Reflex: I've used 2 different kinds of power supply with different amounts of power and the problem goes on so I don't think that's the problem. About the heat - I have a Thermaltake V2000A Case with 5,000,000 fans :laughing: and my system runs at a Max of 30 degrees CELSIUS. I don't think the problem could come from there either, but Thanks. To RAMGUY: How do I do the CASS timings and voltage on a Gigabyte BIOS? I don't want to mess it up. UPDATE: I've been running my system with 2 256 MB Kingston Modules and it seems to run fine. BUT I WANT MY 1024 MB FROM YOU GUYS WHAT DO I DO if the CASS and voltage thing doesn't work? THANK YOU.

Ok I went to the Bios and hit CTRL + F1 and the extended menus show up but there's a little problem. I have AWARD BIOS. The menu for DRAM TIMING says auto or manual so I chose manual but.. CAS LATENCY TIME (2.5 OR 3) ACTIVE TO PRECHARGE DELAY (5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 OR 10) DRAM RAS # TO CAS # DELAY (2 - 3 OR 4) DRAM RAS # PRECHARGE (2 - 3 OR 4) REFRESH MODE SELECT (7.8 us - 15.6 us OR 64 us) AND IN THE MENU FREQUENCY/OVERVOLTAGE CONTROL DIMM OVERVOLTAGE CONTROL, THAT I CAN CHANGE TO 0.2V OVER. THOSE ARE MY OPTIONS, WHAT SHOULD I DO? THANKS.

• Corsair Employees
CAS LATENCY TIME (2.5 ) ACTIVE TO PRECHARGE DELAY ( 6 ) DRAM RAS # TO CAS # DELAY ( 3 ) DRAM RAS # PRECHARGE ( 3 ) REFRESH MODE SELECT (bios default or auto) Then if you still have problems please test the modules one at a time.

Well, for now I've tested the first settings you told me to me to try (3-8-4-4 and 0.2 Over Dimm Voltage) and something great happened, MY COMPUTER IS STILL ALIVE SINCE YESTERDAY NIGHT!!!!! Connected to the Net and running Warcraft 3 in the background!! However I don't want to yell VICTORY, just yet. I'll wait a little more and if it happens again i'll keep you up to news. Thanks.

Ok, I just installed The Dual Power Supply 2 that comes with the Motherboard, my Creative Audigy 2 Platinum and the PCI Slot Firewire and USB 2.0 connectors that also came with the motherboard as well as my Digital audio cable that goes from my DVD to my Soundcard and I have problems! It's doing the same thing as it did before (the system just restarts and tells me about the memory dump). The system is quite stable with (3-4-4-8, at least it doesn't do it right at the start of windows) but with (2.5-3-3-6) it does not even start up windows. Here is the exact message: STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000008, 0xF7AC6D70, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) Beginning Dump of Physical Memory Physical Memory Dump Complete Contact support bla bla bla.... What do I do now? Thank You.

• Corsair Employees
with XMS3700 you will need to set the timings to Cass 3-4-4-8 only. And I would not suggest over clocking this MB. So set the CPU freq. to 200. And make sure the Dim Voltage is at +.2 Volts.

What setting do you chose in the bios then? Optimized or Fail-Safe? I just chose Optimized and I am testing what happens. By the way I tested your settings and my system does not even start, I even had to clear my CMOS. Thanks. PD: 2 GB is a shitload, it must be a pimping rig.

• Corsair Employees
If you do find you have a bad module, we will be happy to replace them. However, this MB is suspect, and if you can test the modules in another system that would really help to isolate the problem. But we can try replacing your modules if you like. Please follow the link in my signature!

Well, I did test other modules from another system and my computer was completely stable, I think it´s the modules, maybe it´s just that kind that doesn´t work for my system since so many people have problems with that, how about you take my modules for replacement (I live in Europe by the way) and we try with the best PRO modules or something I´ll be willing to pay for the difference if that fixes my problem, could you please make sure it will work for my motherboard PLEASE. Thank You.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry, we do not sell direct so we would not have a way to process that type of transaction. Please talk to your reseller and see if they will let you replace these with Twinx1024-3200 would be what I would suggest with this MB!

What if I change my motherboard? What I would do then is use this 8KNXP with a new computer and 512 MB of RAM you recommend with it, something stable for win xp PRO. For my new motherboard which I would use for my current computer then, here is what I have: Intel P4 3.06 GHz with HT 800 FSB (Could use that for the 8KNXP and swap it for an Extreme edition) ASUS Geforce FX 5900 Ultra with 256 MB RAM Creative Audigy 2 Platinum XMS 1024 MB 3700 (the RAM I currently have from you) What is the ABSOLUTE BEST (no matter the cost, money is no problem) Motherboard I can get for all of this. Thank You.

• Corsair Employees
I cannot really suggest one MB over another, which really causes a conflict of interest for me. Sorry! However, I would start with the MB's we use to validate a specific module which you can get with in [URL=http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8048]XMS Qualification and Testing[/URL]!

I think I just found out the problem. Yesterday I gave it another try with 2 256 RAM modules from another brand which the last time were stable and it just kept on rebooting with all the settings (fail safe, optimized or performance) same thing as with the XMS modules. So I went ahead and tried to updated my BIOS through the live update from gigabyte's BIOS on the Net. (Something I had always done manually.) What happened is that it gave me a warning message that said something like this: "If you are going to update your BIOS to a newer version than F7 (I think) then you need the latest version of this BIOS updater if you have a P4 CPU with Hyper Threading Enabled." So I went ahead and disabled Hyper Threading and BOOM!!!!!!! Just kidding, it's worked continuously through the night, unbeliveable.

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest that you update the bios flash utility and reflash the bios again and see if you can enable HT. But that would suggest a bios issue to me! However, please let me know, as we will be happy to replace the modules if needed!

Ok, I am just waiting from an answer from gigabyte now, see what they say but think it won't be necessary. For the motherboard if I finally have to replace it I've checked out the: ABIT IC7-MAX3 Seems like a good motherboard to me, could I run into problems with that one and the memory that I have from you guys? Thank You.

Archived