Corsair Community

HX1000W and power distr. for 2 way SLi clarification pls

Hayze

Heya

I posted in another thread about this but figured it would be better to make a separate thread (old post deleted).

My question was basically the same as RickC asked in this thread:

http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=75043

Which plug should I use on the HX1000W to plug my second GTX 260 in?

And your response Ram Guy was:

I would suggest that each card be on a seperate rail:

So to understand this a bit better, 12V1 is 1 rail and 12V2 is the second, correct?

If that is correct then Im a bit confused tho, according to the diagram you linked in that post Ram Guy it says

at the top left corner: GPU 1 & 2 - 12V2 leading me to think you should plug gfx card 1 and 2 on 12V2...

Since english isnt my native language I might missunderstand something.

Anyway, I plugged my GTX 260 in using the fixed (hardwired) cables and my second GTX 260 arrived today so

what connectors should I use for the second one, Blue 12V1 or Blue 12V2?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I cant really understand :o:

Regards

Hayze

ehhh.. that wasnt very helpful since I didnt ask what rail the fixed cables was on...

My question was were to plug my second gfx card in since the pic you linked Wired state in the top left corner: GPU 1 & 2 - 12V2 and then Ram Guy said in another post:

So the correct answer would be a bit more informative and maybe even more simple like: Plug into 12V2 and your fine ;):

I apologize if you feel this is rude but, by my telling you that the fixed cable's that you are currently using are connected to 12V2 and Ramguy's suggestion to place each card on a seperate rail, it should have been simple enough for you to figure out that you should use 12V1 for your second card.

I apologize if you feel this is rude but...

If you are new to building PC's and come here for advice and you find this pic:

http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70317

were it says GPU 1 AND 2 - 12V2, were would you plug your second card in?

And then you come back a few days later and you find a post were Ram Guy says:

Wouldnt you start to think.. hmm.. this sounds a bit contradictory...

Anyway, this was only to educate myself in the wonderful world of PC building and the best would probably be if Ram Guy

answered the post since he was the one posting the pic (diagram) and posting the response in the previous thread.

and btw I didnt take any offense at all so its :cool:

• Corsair Employees

According to the diagram, the first GPU should be plugged into the fixed PCI-E cables (12v2). The second GPU should be plugged into the modular 12v2, and if you have a 3rd GPU, then you should plug it into the modular 12v1 ports.

The honest truth is that it should not make a difference whether or not you use 12v1 or 12v2 for your second card. The PSU is designed to use up to two cards on 12v2. The only thing that you would NOT want to do is to use a single cable from each 12v1 and 12v2 and plug both into the same graphics card. A PSU with two separate rails will have separate voltage regulation and the voltages on both rails will not be exactly the same, and some graphics cards can "bug out," but even then it would be unlikely that you could damage anything.

Archived