Corsair Community

Any (voltage) tricks for getting 12gb 1333 to work with P6T?

deadfones

I put together an i920 + P6T deluxe (1102 bios) + 2x TR3X6G1333C9 system. It initially posted fine with 12gb. It defaulted to 1066 speeds. I ran 2 passes of memtest+ 2.1 at 1066 and rebooted into the bios, set it to 1333, and ran 9 memtest passes overnight. I shut the system down, connected hdd power, and it wouldn't post.

I disconnected hdd power, reset the cmos, removed all sticks but a1, increased dram voltage up to 1.6, qpi/dram voltage up to 1.4, played with different bank configurations, and long story short, I'm waiting on an rma for 1 of the sticks. I can't run this stick by itself now, but the others work fine by themselves or with all 5 of them installed.

So, eventually I want to run 12gb @ the rated 1333. I don't want to OC the ram, just 12gb stable. Eventually I might want to bump the i920 up to 3.0ghz, but right now that's not important.

Any voltage tweaks I might need? I'm guessing that this stick just died after some memtest exercise and it didn't have anything to do with using Auto (ASUS term) voltage @ 1333.

I would not set the DRAM voltage to Auto. I would set the DRAM voltage manually and no higher than 1.65v. Very likely you just had a bad stick. Uncommon, but it does happen and since you have six sticks, you have twice the possibility of it happening.

I would not run with 5 sticks. Did you only send one stick back? :eek: That's not very common as you should send all three back so that you receive a matched tri-kit rather than take a chance of different fabrications.

The sticks were rated at 1.5. That's probably what Auto was. Should I try 1.6 when the new one arrives? Any consequences besides heat? Should I do anything with the qpi voltage?

I just yesterday placed the rma. I haven't sent anything back yet. I don't know which of the 2 sets the bad stick came from. If anything, I'd have to rma all 6 of them. Should I do that? But, since it's triple channel and I have 6 sticks, doesn't that mean each channel will have 2 sticks of ram, making one of the channels have to share the remaining stick from each 3 pack? Maybe I should've got 3 4gb packs. :/

• Corsair Employee
You may need a slight increase on the memory controller voltage, not the memory voltage. Each module still only needs its rated voltage in this case. However, you have doubled the load on the memory controller when you go to 6 modules.

Hello,

You should not need more than 1.25v on the QPI(uncore). The DRAM can be set all the way up to its rated voltage but do not exceed 1.65v. You may need to raise the core voltage (CPU voltage) up a little. Take them off auto and set them manually. Also start with loose timings and work your way up. Make sure you have a good solid power supply that is not overloaded.

Noushy

• 2 weeks later...
According to this review no extra voltage is needed to run 12GB of memory up to 1800MHz even - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/879/1/

You may need a slight increase on the memory controller voltage, not the memory voltage. Each module still only needs its rated voltage in this case. However, you have doubled the load on the memory controller when you go to 6 modules.

One article, testing one mainboard does not apply as a standard to either follow or be certain of and I would not take this article and apply it's singular finding across the board. If stability is not found at default voltages, then applying a bit more voltage is advised.

Hello guys, just my 2 cents here... I think the point Derek is making is not that you just disregard a review, it is just that each motherboard is unique (different engineering, different layouts and specs) and also each chipset production is different. Some X58 chipsets may require a little more voltage to gain stability than the next one. This is similar to how intel bins their processor chips (every i7 is essentially the same chip, the ones that perform better get to be 965 chips, and so forth). I would use the review settings as a starting point, and make adjustments as needed. I had to increase my QPI voltage to get it stable, but I am also running the C8 1600 dominators with 6 sticks at 12gb. 2Gb sticks usually need a little more voltage than the 1GB sticks. Less traces, less distance to travel, more stable in general (less devices on each dimm as well).

Peace

Noushy

Also, one instance of something does not prove the rule, it could just be the exception. He's just following the scientific method. Right now we have a theory that needs to be proved across multiple boards of the same model, and then across different models and manufacturers.

Archived