Hard time with 12GB TR3X6G1600C8D....

McDaniel

Hi

I think I am a step further....:roll:

Now I run the following settings and in shortterm view it looks stable:

1T

QPI/Dram 1.35 V

Dram 1.65 V

Can anybody comment something about this setting? Is it safe?

Thanks for any feedback!

Cheers

McDan

I can't see any issues with those settings as they are within operational parameters. Have you memtested the setup?

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Boot to the Memtest ISO. Allow for two full passes and if stable, enter Windows and post a screenshot of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Hi

I think I am a step further....:roll:

Now I run the following settings and in shortterm view it looks stable:

1T

QPI/Dram 1.35 V

Dram 1.65 V

Can anybody comment something about this setting? Is it safe?

Thanks for any feedback!

Cheers

McDan

Hello all,

I realize this is a duplicate post on another thread but here goes. I can run the dominator sticks (2gb each), 6 of them at 1600 C8D memory, at 1.25uncore, 1.30core, and dram 1.65 completely stable. In fact, I was having a horrible time with 3 sticks at 1333 until I switched power supplies. You MUST have a good psu with a clean and stable voltage output or you will crash/blue screen/fail to post. I spent 3 weeks trying to get it to work when I read somewhere that someone else had the same problem and switched psu. I purchased the HX1000 and absolutely love it. Immediately saw the voltage stability in the bios, and with minimal settings changes, running vista x64 for 3 weeks with 12GB, 9-9-9-24 settings. I have not pushed the timings up because I wanted to see how stable this would be first. Also, running the 965 at stock speed with HT on, and the machine absolutely screams. 27k with sisoft memory bandwidth is just amazing.

Peace,

Noushy

With the new nehalem chips (core i7) basically there is voltage to two parts of the chip. The core (cpu/processing) and the uncore (qpi/memory controller). Very simple way to understand it. Some motherboards refer to this as qpi or memory controller voltage, all the same. Just do not confuse it with dram voltage which is what powers the memory chips. Also, intel designed this setup with qpi/uncore to run at 1.2v, and the memory not to exceed 1.65v or a differential of .45v. Keep it under .5v, and you should be safe.

Peace,

Noushy

Very good explanation and caveat noushy.

Thanks

With the new nehalem chips (core i7) basically there is voltage to two parts of the chip. The core (cpu/processing) and the uncore (qpi/memory controller). Very simple way to understand it. Some motherboards refer to this as qpi or memory controller voltage, all the same. Just do not confuse it with dram voltage which is what powers the memory chips. Also, intel designed this setup with qpi/uncore to run at 1.2v, and the memory not to exceed 1.65v or a differential of .45v. Keep it under .5v, and you should be safe.

Peace,

Noushy

It's a good idea to create your own thread as then a search of this issue by others will find it faster. :):

I realize this is a duplicate post on another thread but here goes. I can run the dominator sticks (2gb each), 6 of them at 1600 C8D memory, at 1.25uncore, 1.30core, and dram 1.65 completely stable. In fact, I was having a horrible time with 3 sticks at 1333 until I switched power supplies. You MUST have a good psu with a clean and stable voltage output or you will crash/blue screen/fail to post. I spent 3 weeks trying to get it to work when I read somewhere that someone else had the same problem and switched psu. I purchased the HX1000 and absolutely love it. Immediately saw the voltage stability in the bios, and with minimal settings changes, running vista x64 for 3 weeks with 12GB, 9-9-9-24 settings. I have not pushed the timings up because I wanted to see how stable this would be first. Also, running the 965 at stock speed with HT on, and the machine absolutely screams. 27k with sisoft memory bandwidth is just amazing.

Derek,

It seems everyone had the same problem, and multiple threads were created. It would be great if we could consolidate these down to one or two, I think it would really help out. All I can say is I know the frustration these guys are dealing with, I had the same issue for 3 weeks, not knowing if it is the board, the cpu, the memory, or another component.

Peace,

Noushy

If you post a thread with the title being the issue, then those who search will find it far easier than one thread with multiple posts. As well, those who search via google and spyder will find the title and would not find the thread so easy if you had just posted in the thread.

Derek,

It seems everyone had the same problem, and multiple threads were created. It would be great if we could consolidate these down to one or two, I think it would really help out. All I can say is I know the frustration these guys are dealing with, I had the same issue for 3 weeks, not knowing if it is the board, the cpu, the memory, or another component.

Peace,

Noushy

There's no reason to make a new thread, as noushy is only posting what problems he had and how he fixed it. This of course can help the original poster. Now if he was posting his own questions in the same thread, THEN it would indeed be better to create a new one instead of hijacking someone else's thread.

Ok back to topic :D:

I can run it very stable now with 1.65 dram V and 1.35 qpi/dram V !

As you can see on the Printscreen I was a bit surprised about the voltage drop I get under load!

http://users.quick-line.c

h/mcdanielson/Test1.jpg

The qpi/dram drops from 1.35 to 1.32

The dram V drops from 1.65 to 1.63

Is this normal?

I think I have a decent psu Tagan PipeRock 1300W, should it hold better?

Thanks for feedback. :biggrin:

Cheers

McDan

There's no reason to make a new thread, as noushy is only posting what problems he had and how he fixed it. This of course can help the original poster. Now if he was posting his own questions in the same thread, THEN it would indeed be better to create a new one instead of hijacking someone else's thread.

I understand what you're saying. I am saying that noushy's post is far too valuable to stick in the middle of a thread and that as a titled post, it will get far more search responses and help far more people than it will hidden in here.

But, if you want it here, then you're the admin. :D:

I'll just bow out.

Ahh, gotcha. I see where you're coming from now.

noushy, if you want, feel free to make a new post detailing how you got 12 GB to run A-OK and what issues you had to deal with along the way.

McDaniel, those drops can come from the SW just being flaky, or it could be from the load. Multimeter's the best way to get to the bottom of it, however I wouldn't be too concerned about a 0.03v under a load, but I'm no expert on the Core i7s.

BTW guys, what ARE you using 12GB of memory for anyway?

BTW guys, what ARE you using 12GB of memory for anyway?

:D::D::D::D::D:

Good question? I also asked me this today.......:roll:

I think its one of this, I have the bigger "Beeeep" issue!!!! :eek::D:

Thanks for the input!

Cheers

McDan

• Corsair Employees

With a 64 Bit O.S. and runnig a 64 Bit application with more memory would be an advantage. So there is some situations where the size does make a difference excuse the pun. :D::o:;):

And McDaniel you are verry close to getting a warning with statements like that!

Hello Guys,

I am happy to make a new thread if you guys think it is important. I just want to try and help all those who are going through the same frustration that I did with the board, memory and cpu. It seems that voltage stability is really the big issue here, and the more stable the voltage, the less of it you need to get your system running 6 dimms. I would be concerned if the voltage drops under load, although 1.65 to 1.62 is not much of a drop, it still can cause the system to crash. Personally, even when pushing the machine to 60% cpu utilization (converting mpeg4 to mpeg2 video) the voltage does not change on my machine. I have to say, absolutely amazed by the corsair hx1000, and I purchased it for $200 plus rebate. I think the only psu line that is better would cost at least double that, and no need for it. I am about the upgrade the machine with new video cards (gtx 295) and then start to push the timings back to 8-8-8-24. If it runs stable, I will then start to move the multiplier up to get around 3.6 to 4.0ghz out of the cpu. Please feel free to email me with any questions or request.

Peace,

Noushy

Indeed, it is a worthwhile post and one in which you will find helps quite a few people. In the days of the AMD, the voltage to the CPU would also help boost the on die memory controller when overclocking and populating four DRAM slots. Intel users have not come across this phenomena before due to the legacy on motherboard memory controller.

Thanks,

D

Hello Guys,

I am happy to make a new thread if you guys think it is important. I just want to try and help all those who are going through the same frustration that I did with the board, memory and cpu. It seems that voltage stability is really the big issue here, and the more stable the voltage, the less of it you need to get your system running 6 dimms. I would be concerned if the voltage drops under load, although 1.65 to 1.62 is not much of a drop, it still can cause the system to crash. Personally, even when pushing the machine to 60% cpu utilization (converting mpeg4 to mpeg2 video) the voltage does not change on my machine. I have to say, absolutely amazed by the corsair hx1000, and I purchased it for $200 plus rebate. I think the only psu line that is better would cost at least double that, and no need for it. I am about the upgrade the machine with new video cards (gtx 295) and then start to push the timings back to 8-8-8-24. If it runs stable, I will then start to move the multiplier up to get around 3.6 to 4.0ghz out of the cpu. Please feel free to email me with any questions or request.

Peace,

Noushy

Archived