Corsair Community

GigaByte GA-EP45-UD3R and TWIN2X4096-8500C5D Problem

mcritic

Hi folks,

I am confounded on what to do. I always have problems when installing memory--I have in practically every machine I've ever built since 1998. It is frustrating to say the least.

I'm building a new computer (specs are listed in my profile), and it gets stuck in a reboot loop if I have both of the memory modules installed (regardless of socket location). The computer will boot with one stick and I can get into the BIOS. One user in another forum suggested I change the voltage for the memory and change some settings in my BIOS. I've changed the voltage to 2.10, but when I placed the other stick on the motherboard, the same reboot loop occurs.

If anyone can help me understand what needs changed, where I go to do it, and why these need to be changed, I would appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

Download CPU-z from

Enter your BIOS. On the main BIOS screen press Ctrl + F1. You will see the screen flicker. Next select the MB Intelligent Tweaker option. On that screen you will see many additional settings that were not there before. Load setup defaults, Save Setup defaults. Enter these values:

MCH Clock Skew (ps): 100ps

DRAM Performance Control
Performance Enhance: STANDARD
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).: Disabled
(G)MCH Frequency Latch: 333MHz

System Memory Multiplier: 3.2
Memory Frequency (Mhz): 1066
DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual

Standard Timing Control
CAS Latency Time: 5
tRCD: 5
tRP:5
tRAS: 15

Advanced Timing Control
tRRD: 3
tWTR: 3
tWR:. 6
tRFC: 62
tRTP: 3
Command Rate (CMD):2

Channel A
Static tRead Value: 10 
tRD Phase0 Adjustment:Auto
tRD Phase1 Adjustment:Auto
tRD Phase2 Adjustment.:Auto
tRD Phase3 Adjustment:Auto
Trd2rd(Different Rank).:Auto
Twr2wr(Different Rank):Auto
Twr2rd(Different Rank):Auto
Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank):Auto
Dimm1 Clock Skew Control:Auto ps
Dimm2 Clock Skew Control:Auto ps

Channel B
Static tRead Value: 10
tRD Phase0 Adjustment:Auto
tRD Phase1 Adjustment:Auto
tRD Phase2 Adjustment.:Auto
tRD Phase3 Adjustment:Auto
Trd2rd(Different Rank).:Auto
Twr2wr(Different Rank):Auto
Twr2rd(Different Rank):Auto
Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank):Auto
Dimm1 Clock Skew Control:Auto ps
Dimm2 Clock Skew Control:Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
Voltage Type: Manual

CPU
CPU Vcore: Auto
CPU Termination: Auto
CPU PLL: Auto
CPU Reference: Auto
CPU Reference2: Auto

MCH/ICH
MCH Core: 1.32v
MCH Reference: Auto
MCH/DRAM Ref: Auto
ICH I/O: Auto
ICH Core: Auto

DRAM
DRAM Voltage: 2.1v
DRAM Termination: Auto
Channel A Reference: Auto
Channel B Reference: Auto

Here's what you need to do. Isolate the DRAM sticks and DRAM slots. Test with a single stick. If it tests out fine, test it in all four DRAM slots to isolate a variable to the issue being a slot. Finally test the kit in slots 1 & 3. Run Memtest for two full passes, then (If Stable), enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Thanks, DerekT!

I tested out the board by switching out the RAM stick I was testing in slots 2, 3, and 4. That stick, by itself, produces the reboot loop. When I put in the one that worked back in, the machine booted fine again. So, it appears this is a problem with the new Corsair stick of RAM.

What could have caused this? Why would a new stick of RAM be bad?

Much appreciated!

This does happen, not often but it does happen. This is a site for tech support with issues so we see it happen here but the percentage is small.

RAM GUY will help you with RMA or you can return the modules back to the distributer.

Thanks, DerekT!

I tested out the board by switching out the RAM stick I was testing in slots 2, 3, and 4. That stick, by itself, produces the reboot loop. When I put in the one that worked back in, the machine booted fine again. So, it appears this is a problem with the new Corsair stick of RAM.

What could have caused this? Why would a new stick of RAM be bad?

Much appreciated!

Archived