Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-6400C4 won't post/BSOD

First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I'm stumped. I have two different sets of XMS TWIN2X2048-6400C4 and I can't get either of them to boot up my computer. I bought the first set in June '07, and the second set June '08. I had no issues when I initially installed the first set (v2.1). In June '08 I decided I wanted to upgrade to 4GB, so I ordered a second set (v6.2). It worked fine after installing it. Earlier this week, I was in the middle of browsing the internet, when all of a sudden, my computer locked up on me. I didn't think much of it, but the next time I booted up, it did the same thing. So I took out the second set of memory I had purchased this past summer and turned the computer back on. No problems. So after a few system boots, I decided to put the second set back in. It worked fine, again, no issues. Then this morning, the computer locked up again, this time during a game. So I decided it was about time to run Memtest86. I ran it but it wouldn't even get past 15mins before it too, locked up. I have tried mixing and matching both sets, in 2gb and 4gb combination's, to no avail. Here's what I've been able to come up with so far. Just v2.1 installed: computer posts, but I get a BSOD during boot and it restarts. Just v6.2 installed: my system will not even post, nor will the screen turn on. Any combination of the two different versions: system will not post, nor will the screen turn on. What are the chances that all FOUR sticks go bad at once? Any help would be much appreciated!

if you can get it to boot even with 1 stick go in the bios and make sure the RAM voltage is correct and that both the ram versions voltages and timings are the same.

I tried this w/ the v2.1 and still get the same result. BSOD and instant system reboot. v6.2 still won't even post.

• Corsair Employees
I tried this w/ the v2.1 and still get the same result. BSOD and instant system reboot. v6.2 still won't even post.

Have you tested the memory modules one at a time? Do both v2.1 modules give you the same results? Likewise with the v6.2? If you have not tried it yet, I would test each module one at a time in the slot closest to the CPU and see if you can isolate a single failing module. If all the modules fail in the first slot, then I would test a single memory module in each slot on the board to help rule out a problem with a DIMM slot. Let us know your results!

Have you tested the memory modules one at a time? Do both v2.1 modules give you the same results? Likewise with the v6.2? If you have not tried it yet, I would test each module one at a time in the slot closest to the CPU and see if you can isolate a single failing module. If all the modules fail in the first slot, then I would test a single memory module in each slot on the board to help rule out a problem with a DIMM slot. Let us know your results!

With either stick of v2.1 in the first mem slot, it posts, starts to load windows, then BSOD and restart. With either stick of v6.2 in the same slot, it will not even post, nor will the screen turn on. A friend of mine suggested that my MB may be bad. :(: So i'm trying to get a hold of someone who has another board w/ ddr2 support that I can test my ram in. I'll let ya know what happens.

• Corsair Employees
If you are having problems with all four modules when tested individually then there may be some other problem, and I would agree that the MB is probably the next most likely culprit. If you get the same results in a different motherboard then let us know and we would be happy to replace them for you, however if your problems go away then I'd suspect the motherboard.

If you are having problems with all four modules when tested individually then there may be some other problem, and I would agree that the MB is probably the next most likely culprit. If you get the same results in a different motherboard then let us know and we would be happy to replace them for you, however if your problems go away then I'd suspect the motherboard.

Ok, here's the update: I tested all four sticks in a friends computer, but this time I was able to boot w/ the 2 v2.1 sticks. When I tried v6.2, it would not even post, again. So our conclusion is that somehow the v6.2 sticks went bad and fried the memory slots on my mb. Where do I go from here?

• Corsair Employees
Ok, here's the update: I tested all four sticks in a friends computer, but this time I was able to boot w/ the 2 v2.1 sticks. When I tried v6.2, it would not even post, again. So our conclusion is that somehow the v6.2 sticks went bad and fried the memory slots on my mb. Where do I go from here?

Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Ok, this may seem a little out of the question, but i'm going to cover my bases. Is there any chance I could send in all four sticks and get a 2x2GB set of the same speed/timing settings? Now I know this is probably really far-fetched, but here's my next question. What is your policy concerning my situation, i.e. the corsair ram I bought fried my motherboard? Does the corsair lifetime warranty cover my mb since it is safe to assume the memory is what caused my mb to fail? I'm not trying to cheat you out of anything, as I have been a loyal corsair customer for quite some time. This is the first time I've ever had corsair memory fail on me. Thanks for your help.

4x1 -> 2x2 is out of the hands of tech support, as they strictly only do like for like. HOWEVER, once you get an RMA # call up to customer service. They may be able to help you out.

As for the motherboard, memory is a passive device. It can't damage the motherboard unless it was installed improperly, which is pretty much impossible, because if it was installed improperly, then it wouldn't run at all due to not being in contact with the slot correctly.

Ok, are you able to confirm if I am able to send in all four sticks, or just the two that are bad? Also, I will be heading back to college next week, which means if I send the ram in for RMA replacement, it will be sent from my home address, and I would like the new set shipped to my school address. Which address do I use for the form?

• 3 months later...
So I've been really busy recently and I haven't had a chance to send in the memory to get replaced. I was just wondering if there was anything I need to do besides just go to http://www.corsair.com/warranty/rma_form.aspx and fill it out. Does it matter that it's been over 4 months since I was 'going' to do this? I apologize if this is newbish or a stupid question. Just wanted to make sure before I sent off my ram. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
If it has been 4 months you will need to resubmit and get a new number of call in and talk to our customer service before you send them in at 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext 3

Did you mean 'resubmit and get a new number' OR 'call in and talk'? I've got some free time this week and would like to get it taken care of.

Archived