Corsair Community

My girlfriend's build keeps locking up??? 8(

nikeportugal

Hey guys, I'd appreciate some insight into this if you can throw ideas my way. I'll try to keep it very short.

I built my gf a system several months ago now. It has been freezing since day one.

Initially it was even freezing (or seemingly freezing anyway) during Windows Vista installation. Later we reinstalled windows and it seemed to work without too much trouble.. although extreeeeemely slow in some sections. Maybe I was just impatient.

The memory is Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333mhz (actual code tw3x4g1333c9dhx). I have run memtest extensively on it and it comes back clean though?

This is odd because by default the memory goes to 10666 or whatever. It also wants to default to different timings and 1.8 volts it seems in BIOS.

If I leave at default settings in BIOS.. it definately freezes LESS OFTEN than when I set BIOS to 1333mhz.. 9-9-9-24 timing and 1.6 Volts as it states on memory chip itself.

This makes little sense if it came back clean at the manually set timings. I'm running memtest again.

My experience tells me that it's memory that is usually the culprit when systems lock up.

It has locked up like I said.. once it SEEMED on windows install.. or it could have been really slow and I'm impatient. Sometimes it locks up while booting up windows even (at the screen with the bar on the bottom and logo in middle). It has froze during random browsing and other applications, or just sitting at desktop.

Mostly she uses it to play Warhammer Online and it obviously freezes several times a day for her no matter what she does.

I'm a financial services manager and I just don't have the time to go insane trying to trouble shoot these things anymore like I used to. But I built the thing and it's obviously not working like it should.

I'm hoping you guys can help out with suggestions and expertise.

My other ideas are.. hard drive problem, in which case I have several spares I could try a fresh install on and see how that works.

Otherwise God Forbid it's something like a MOBO problem, in which case I don't know how to test that. I guess you can maybe help with that.

Like I said though, in my past experience.. it's almost ALWAYS the memory when a system randomly locks up like that.. although it's been memtesting ok.

I would very much appreciate any help you can give!! MANY THANKS!!

Ricardo

System Build:

- ASUS Striker II Extreme 790I Ultra LGA775

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 LGA775 2.83Ghz Yorkfield 1333FSB

- Corsair XMS3 TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB DDR3-1333MHZ

- Corsair 620HX Power Supply

- EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 280 FTW Edition GFX Card

- Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB SATA2 HD

- Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY PCI-E

- Samsung TruDirect 20X SATA DVD

- Noctua LGA 775 NH-C12P Heatsink

- VISTA Ultimate 64bit

Just to add to this.

Manually set my memory just now back to Linked/Synced with FSB. So 1333MHZ 9-9-9-24 @ 1.6 Volts... Saved Bios and restarted... it froze at F8 Screen (The boot selection screen).

Restarted comp and tried again. This time it went through and is currently in memtest 2.01.

But that gives you an idea as to how unstable it is. That didn't even have anything to do with windows or anything so wouldn't that indicate not HD or Operating System related right?

That's what I'm thinking. :confused:

OH.. just froze on MEMTEST .. sigh.. No errors show up but the clock stopped at 3:35 and there is several ****************** across the screen.

I'll set BIOS to default and try again.. this will revert my memory to 10666 instead, unlinked/unsynced, and it will want to bump voltage to 1.8 .. I'm sure it will work a lot longer.. even possibly make it overnight.. but I know for sure it will freeze again at some point like described above because this is how I leave her comp by default to at least SEMI RUN for a while.

Right now I'm really leaning towards replacing sticks just to see if it helps.. like I said.. experience tells me... Always try ram first.

TO answer some questions. I'm pretty sure Vista already had SP1 on it. Also seemed to have no problems recognising amount of RAM in system at any point. Again.. since it's freezing before having anything to do with Hard Drive or Operating System.. I'm a little worried here.. but then again that's when I try to run the RAM at specced speeds. Not default. Rebooting now into default!

Also, I updated the BIOS to latest almost immediately upon system build when it was giving me trouble. So that's up to date. All drivers are extensively updated in the hopes that it solved problems.

Thanks so much for suggestions so far guys. I might try removing sound card to see if that helps any but I'm doubting it considering it's freezing at boot level stuff. Like F8 Screen.. Memtest.. etc..

• Corsair Employees

Removing the sound card may not be a bad idea. I would remove anything that you do not absolutely need, just to simplify things until you can isolate the problem. I would agree that you likely have a hardware issue from what you have described.

I would recommend testing the memory modules one at a time in the same DIMM slot and see if you can isolate a single module which may be causing the issues. It would be extremely unlikely that you would have two modules which would fail at the same time with the same issues, so if its the memory causing the problems then I would suspect that you should be able to isolate a failing stick. If both modules cause the same issues when tested individually then I would test a single module in each slot on the board to see if you can isolate a failing DIMM slot.

If all else fails, then I would test the memory in a different system if thats an option, otherwise we can try replacing the memory for you if you would like to rule it out completely. Just use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived