Corsair Community

TX 650W + Radeon 4870 problem?

Nuelan

Hey everyone,

I just bought a Powercolor HD 4870 1G pcs+.

When I play 3D games the card is awesome and works like charm. But unfortunately the 2D display under Windows itself is unstable and produces intermittent screen "shaking" up and down. Its very brief, but very annoying. It seems to happen the most during navigation through folders.

I've read a good number of forums and saw that someone with the same Radeon videocard suffered the same problem. His setup was different than mine except that he got also a TX 650W power supply. Could it be that this problem could originates from the power supply? I don't have any other power supply to test it but maybe it's a know issue which allow an easy fix?

Regards

• Corsair Employees
I would first try booting up into safe mode to see if you still have the same problem. If the problem seems to go away while in safe mode, then you likely have a driver issue. If the problem is still there, then I would test the video card in a different system and see if you get the same problems. Let us know your results!

• Corsair Employees
If I recall correctly, the newest ATI driver is the 8.12. If you have not tried it, try that driver. If it is the one you are unstable with, you can revert to their 8.11 driver or search GPU forums for any beta drivers that may be available.

I tried every single Catalyst drivers from 8.6 provided with the videocard CD to the last 8.12 but nothing helped. I suspect that the problem could come from some other drivers installed by the videocard CD. I could try to use the card without installing it's original CD but I will miss some features like AVIVO or features specific to this particular card.

I'm trying to download the last Powercolor drivers but the server is very slow. Waiting, waiting...

Thx a lot for the help anyway, I feel less alone :)

That worked eventually. Actually it was very simple, I just had to install the last videocard manufacturer (PowerColor in that particular case) drivers. What is a bit misleading with videocards is that you never know if you have to install the manufacturer driver bundle, or the NVIDIA/ATI driver bundle, when to update them, in what order etc...

Anyway, thank you for the support and happy new year!

Archived