Corsair Community

ATX12V Keyed Incorrectly?

hoot504

Hi all, I've been planning on building a system for a while now and the parts are starting to arrive at my doorstep. Power supply, mobo, and vid card arrived today. Anyway, I was examining my psu, which is a corsair tx750. As I'm examining the 8-pin ATX12V connector, I realize it is keyed differently than how it is displayed in my mobo and psu manual.

This may be difficult to comprehend unless you are familiar with these cables, but I'll do my best. The 8 pins in the connection come in two different shapes, square and hexagonal. The picture provided in my manuals show that it should look like this...

[Hex][square][square][Hex] <----- Top Row

[square][Hex][Hex][square]

But the only 8-pin connector provided with my psu looks like this...

[Hex][square][Hex][Hex] <------ Top Row

[square][Hex][Hex][Hex]

I'm quite confused about this, I highly doubt it is keyed incorrectly, as it seems like this would be a major manufacturing error. I know this connection is not the pci-express connection, as my psu doesn't come with a solid 8 pin pci connection (only the 6+2 ones). So if anyone could enlighten me, I'd be extremely grateful, thanks!

Ok, I've found pictures demonstrating the point I am trying to get across. The mobo manual/psu manual show a connector like this...

http://www.techaddicts.net/reviews/da750/da750.12.jpg

While the connector I actually have looks like the one at the bottom of this pic...

http://www.phoronix.net/image.php?id=926&image=corsair_tx750_cable2_lrg

Notice the subtle differences in pin shape? Now can anyone answer my question?

you need the EPS connector, 4 yellow and 4 black wire, nothing blue as in your pics that have PCI-e written on them, thats for the video cards.

see pic

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/eps.jpg

on your PSU you want the one to the left in this pic...

http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/attachment.php?attachmentid=4895&d=1230604891 and is wont say PCI-E on it.

good luck.

**edit**

ok, are there any other 8 pin connectors that came hard wired to the PSU, i do understand what you mean and i guess my pics are redundant but the bottom pis IS from a Tx750 and does have one hardwired to the PSU.

**edit/edit** i re-re read your post, if your PSU does not have one that is weird as hell and i would request an RMA ASAP :)

sorry if i was redundant, i gotta slow down when i read.

222.JPG.cab67cfc7382c6f4de41c6f5ca8a9c57.JPG

i re-re read your post, if your PSU does not have one that is weird as hell and i would request an RMA ASAP :)

sorry if i was redundant, i gotta slow down when i read.

The bottom pic I posted is from a review for the tx750, so I KNOW it isn't a manufacturing error now.

Also the 2nd pic you posted seems to have all hex shaped pins on the right side, just as mine does...

second pic, bottom right is a square.

http://www.corsair.com/products/tx/default.aspx

Go to the Resources tab, and compare each connection to what's listed there. By process of elimination you'll find the correct cable.

I don't know how much more clear I can be, so please listen carefully...

I only have ONE 8-pin connection, it's configuration of hex and square shaped pins DOES NOT match up to the pictures on the box of my PSU or to the pictures under the resource tab you linked me to. Instead it looks like the 8 pin connector on the bottom of the 2nd pic I posted.

Ok... I FINALLY found a website where someone went over the issue I've been dealing with.

Go here... http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

Go down to the 4th row of pics, you will see two 8-pin connectors. The one on the left is the one you guys keep telling me to find, the one on the right is the one I actually have. According the guy behind that website, both 8 pin connections will work the same...

"If you look carefully at the image above then you can see the polarization of the pins which prevents you from plugging the cable in improperly. Some of the pins are square and some of them have rounded off corners. The motherboard connectors have matching square and rounded off corners to prevent the cable from being plugged in the wrong way. But if you look really carefully at the right half of this particular cable and then look at the 8 pin 12 volt cable pictured above you'll notice that they don't match. A regular 8 pin cable has four square pins and four rounded ones but the 4+4 cable shown above has two square pins and 6 rounded ones. The left half of the 4+4 matches the left half of an 8 pin cable but the right half is different. Hmmmm... And this isn't some bizarre cable either. I've seen plenty of 4+4s which look like this one. And then there are other 4+4 cables which look just like an 8 pin cable split in two (which makes sense). Since rounded pins fit into square holes in motherboard connectors, this particular cable will fit just fine into an 8 pin 12 volt motherboard connector."

I can't believe so few people have noticed this, as I've found essentially nothing about it on the internet, save for the aforementioned site.

• 3 weeks later...
Go down to the 4th row of pics, you will see two 8-pin connectors. The one on the left is the one you guys keep telling me to find, the one on the right is the one I actually have. According the guy behind that website, both 8 pin connections will work the same...

Same situation here and very glad to find your post. Thanks for doing the leg work.

Did you verify that it worked? In other words, is your system smokin' or just a smoking ruin? :)

Archived