Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-6400C5 Memtest86+ errors

sticks435

Hey all, I recently purchased a set of these modules for my BloodIron T2RL. I usually run the windows version of Memtest as a quick test. I started off running both modules in slots 1 and 3. I was getting errors, so I decided to run the Dos version 2.01. Together both modules give errors at default timings/voltage in slots 1/3 & 2/4. Separately, they work fine for 2-3 passes in slot 1/2. (all I've tested so far).

Just as a test, I increased the bus speed to 400, and voltage to both 1.9 and 2.0 volts. One module worked fine at these settings, while the other also threw errors.

I did notice that these modules aren’t listed on the compatibility chart for this motherboard, but is that due to the speed of the modules, or actual issues?

Unfortunately, I don't have another board to try these in.

I also ran Intel Linpack/burntest, and get no errors when running the modules together. Is there anything else to try?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
I would load setup defaults in the BIOS and test a single module in each slot on the board to make sure you do not have a failing DIMM slot. If you only get errors when running with two modules in dual channel then there may be some other issue. You may want to try running both modules together in single channel and see if you still have the same issues. If you only have problems when running in single channel then there could be a problem with the memory controller. Let us know your results!

Ok, I tested the suspected module in all slots with a minimum of 3 passes. I got 1 error in slot 3, and the other slots 0 errors. I tested both modules in slots 1/2 with the suspected stick in slot 2, and over 8 passes recieved 21 errors. I'm currently in the process of testing both modules in slots 3/4, with the suspected stick in slot 4.

Update: I ran 5 passes in slot 3/4, and got 15 errors, all in test 6 & 7.

• Corsair Employees

Normally if you have a failing memory module, then the memory will fail in every configuration in which you test it and you should generally be able to isolate a single failing module. If the memory is passing memtest when tested individually then it may be a good idea to test them in a different system to make sure the problems follow the memory.

If all else fails, or if you would like to rule the memory out completely, then we can try replacing the pair for you. You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived