Corsair Community

Dominator 6GB 1600 and Asus P6T Compat Issue?

Zigara

I have 2 kits of Dominator 6GB 1600 for a total of 12GB and am having troubles.

The problem is, sometimes it will run at 1600 and sometimes not. When it will run 1600, it passes memtest for hours. Other times, it just will not boot at 1600. And no matter what, it will not run 1mhz past BCLK 133.

Heres what I've tried:

XMP Profile + All stock settings otherwise. Up to 1.4v Uncore/QPI voltage. Up to 1.38V CPU voltage. Up to 1.72 volts on ram. Various voltages on ICH/IOH etc. I've tried settings UCLK and QPI multipliers to Auto and Manual.

I've also tried a second 920 CPU, as I figured maybe the one I was using had a really weak memory controller. Ive tried all BIOS available on Asus's FTP.

None of what I have tried has gotten me anywhere.

I've seen RAM GUY state that 12GB should run perfect, even at DDR2000. Any ideas why I can't even run Stock half the time?

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
1 pair at a time runs as expected, and passes memtest. Do I need to change some timings to get the 12GB to run at 1600?

12GB at this speed is not officially supported at this time so, it could simply be that your CPU, specifically the memory controller is not capable of running 12GB at this speed.

Please list ALL of the BIOS settings you have made for CPU, RAM, and voltages. The critical voltage in this case is the QPI/DRAM Core Voltage since you are running 6 modules. You may get good results from adjusting this up to the 1.35v to 1.45v range. Make sure you have GOOD CPU cooling as your CPU cooling also now cools the memory controller on i7 rigs.

12GB at this speed is not officially supported at this time so, it could simply be that your CPU, specifically the memory controller is not capable of running 12GB at this speed.

Please list ALL of the BIOS settings you have made for CPU, RAM, and voltages. The critical voltage in this case is the QPI/DRAM Core Voltage since you are running 6 modules. You may get good results from adjusting this up to the 1.35v to 1.45v range. Make sure you have GOOD CPU cooling as your CPU cooling also now cools the memory controller on i7 rigs.

Hello RAM GUY. Thank you for the reply.

I have tried up to 1.5 on the QPI/DRAM.

My settings are:

XMP Profile 1

CPU Vcore 1.32v

1.66 memory voltage (runs better at 1.58 or 1.62)

bclk 200

cpu multi 16x (low cpu speed, less variables)

QPI and uncore multi auto

stock ram timings, but have tried 9-9-9-24

I've also tried raising the ICH and IOH voltages. I also do not think it is the CPU. I have tried 2 920's.

RAM GUY, just to see if it was bad ram,I took the RAM and put it in a friends eVGA x58 today, and it booted right up past 1600. It was running at 825 8-8-8-24 1.625 V. CPU was at 3800mhz, 200bclk.

Is there something I am missing on my P6T board?

• 1 month later...

On the P6T Deluxe the XMP profile says that it automatically adjusts the bclock and a few other settings when set. On my bios it does not adjust any value other than the DRAM speed to 1600MHZ and the DRAM voltage to 1.66 volts. (Which is above recommended values)

Is this normal? I thought the XMP profile optimally OC'd your ram and cpu? (As the blurb to the right of the adjustment window in the P6T bios seems to indicate)

What is it the XMP profile supposed to adjust exactly?

Thanks again for the great forums.

XMP just clocks up the memory on the i7. On the previous CPUs there had to be a FSB overclock to make the CPU : DRAM ratio stable. This is not the case with i7.

On the P6T Deluxe the XMP profile says that it automatically adjusts the bclock and a few other settings when set. On my bios it does not adjust any value other than the DRAM speed to 1600MHZ and the DRAM voltage to 1.66 volts. (Which is above recommended values)

Is this normal? I thought the XMP profile optimally OC'd your ram and cpu? (As the blurb to the right of the adjustment window in the P6T bios seems to indicate)

What is it the XMP profile is supposed to adjust exactly?

Thanks again for the great forums.

Archived