Corsair Community

Two pairs of TWIN3X4096-1600DHXIN - XMP greyed out !

godzich

Hi,

My mobo is ASUS P5E3 DELUXE/WiFi-AP.

I have been using with great success a matched pack of (2 x 2 GB) TWIN3X4096-1600DHXIN G modules. The Intel extreme memory clocing profile is active and selectable in the BIOS. The memory runs at this extended profile at 1600 with no problem. The system is rock solid.

I spent more serious money and bought another twin kit (exactly the same), to increase to a total of 8GByte memory (max what this mobo supports). Im running on Vista 64 bit Ultimate, SP1.

However, the BIOS Intel Extreme clocking profile is GREYED OUT and not selectable, after I had installed the two new modules (all 4 slots are occupied with same X.I.M.P memory).

What is wrong here?

Cannot I use two sets of the TWIN 2 x 2 GB memory modules simultaneously and run at the full tested speed???

What a waste of money if that is not possible...

So my question is - how do I achieve the full 1600 speed with all the fours dimms (8GByte total memory) installed??? Why is this bios setting greyed out? What can be done?

Any help or hints is more than appreciated. I know that there is somewhere a guru that has an answer to this dilemma,

Thanks in advance :)

Sincerely,

Christian

• Corsair Employees
You can use the 2 sets of memory but you will need to set the BIOS settings manually. XMP is not intended for use with 4 modules so that is why the BIOS will not allow you to select that option when 4 modules are detected.

Hi RAM GUY,

Thanks. I appreciate highly your kind help!!!

Can I run these two twin packs on this mobo at the same speed (1600MHz) as I could do with only one pair?

It is still unclear for me what are the settings to use to achieve this...

Still I feel a little fooled by the fact that Corsair highly advertized the Intel extended profile, but nowhere mentions that it cannot be used if you want to populate all 4 slots with this very expensive memory...

Grateful for any help you can provide for me to be able to run att full speed!

Christian

The packages are kits and are sold as kits. So, you buy two kits and are feeling fooled that the two kits do not perform as one kit?

This is not Corsair, this is the Intel standard and for that matter, Nvidia's SLi-Ready does not work with four modules either.

The only memory Corsair supports in a four DRAM slot population is their Quad kits and they do not have any Quad Kits in DDR3. This does not mean two dual kits or even worse two dual kits of different versions will not work together, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work together. If there are problems with the DRAM modules, they are still supported via lifetime warranty, but that is for physical defects and errors in a two stick kit mode. Matched Quad sets are highly binned modules for a four slot population. The Dual sets are tested as a kit, not a Quad and warranted as a dual kit, not a Quad setup. You need to Memtest them as Kits (2 modules, not as a four DRAM slot population). If they fail as a kit or singly, then you have RMA. Keep in mind that there is no support for mixing and matching different versions of DRAM either since different version are of different fabrications and/or manufacturers. They might work, they might not work, but you have no support if they do not work.

You are advised to drop the bandwidth to 1333Mhz and raise the Northbridge/MCH Memory Controller +.2v.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

There is a limitation of the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller or On CPU (AMD, Intel i7) and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This limitation is across the board with both AMD and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues can arise in the longer term even though you have shorter term stability. The issues seldom damage the DRAM unless you raise the DRAM voltage too high. They damage the on CPU (AMD) memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population.

Hi RAM GUY,

Thanks. I appreciate highly your kind help!!!

Can I run these two twin packs on this mobo at the same speed (1600MHz) as I could do with only one pair?

It is still unclear for me what are the settings to use to achieve this...

Still I feel a little fooled by the fact that Corsair highly advertized the Intel extended profile, but nowhere mentions that it cannot be used if you want to populate all 4 slots with this very expensive memory...

Grateful for any help you can provide for me to be able to run att full speed!

Christian

totally, completely jealous. green even.

i have the same ram, same cpu and i have the p5e3 premium wifi and i cannot for the life of me even get my ram running at 1600 and maintain stability but is working for you with xmp profile selected. i can only get stability running at 1333 with 9-9-9-24

dayum. u think you got problems?? lol :laughing:

totally, completely jealous. green even.

i have the same ram, same cpu and i have the p5e3 premium wifi and i cannot for the life of me even get my ram running at 1600 and maintain stability but is working for you with xmp profile selected. i can only get stability running at 1333 with 9-9-9-24

dayum. u think you got problems?? lol :laughing:

I have the same issue. I can only get my Rampage Extreme to run 2 X 2048 of 1600C7 at 1500Mhz with 7-6-6-16. I can get 4 X 2048 to run fine at 1600Mhz with a pass of memtest and linpack but it crashes in games immediately. The only way I can game, is to remove two sticks and drop the DRAM speed to 1500Mhz. And this is with the X48 chipset.

Archived