Corsair Community

System Crashing/Memory Dump

Stugotz

EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1

TWIN 2X4096-8500CDF

Intel E8500

Geforce GTX 280

Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Updated bios and noticed it set memory at 800 instead of 1066. I am getting system crashes and blue screen memory dumps. I tried to find the correct timings and voltages in the forum by searching, but was unsuccessful.

Please help me with what settings should be for timing/voltage.

Windows boots up but then after a short while crashes/mem dump/restart.

I called EVGA to make sure bios and drivers were most recent, tech said sounded like my memory timing and voltage was off.

Please advise as to timing and advanced timing settings w/ voltages.

Memory Timing:

CAS - 5

tRCD - 5

tRP - 5

tRAS - 15

CMD - 2T

Advanced Memory Settings

tRRD - 4 (auto)

tRC - 31 (auto)

tWR - 6 (auto)

tWTR - 10 (auto)

tREF - 7.8uS (auto)

and I set the memory voltage to 2.1v

Many of those boards will not work easily with a four DRAM slot population to 8GB. As well, the only DDR2 DRAM modules that are supported in a four module configuration are the Quad Kit Packages. http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=77984

Worst case scenerio?

An RMA of the motherboard to the manufacturer due to a memory controller that will not accept such a population at all.

Best case scenerio?

Your system accepts the DRAM and works fine with it.

This does not mean that they will not work. It just means that there is no support for RMA of such configurations. Also, it is not advised to mix and match versions. Please post the actual full model and versions of the two kits. Because you are populating four DRAM slots, this changes the dynamic of the system in comparison to populating with two DRAM slots. You are advised to drop the DRAM bandwidth and raise the Northbridge Memory Controller voltage +.2v in an attempt to achieve stability with a four DRAM slot population.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

Download CPU-z from--->

Enter your BIOS and set to these values:

Advanced BIOS Features

System Clocks

CPU Freq. MHz = 3.16Ghz
CPU Muliplier = 9.5
PCIe x16, MHz = 100
SPP<->MCP Ref Clock, MHz = 200

nForce SPP --> nForce MCP = 5x
nForce SPP <-- nForce MCP = 5x

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled 
HT Spread Spectrum: Disabled 
PCIE Spread Spectrum (MCP): Disabled
SATA Spread Spectrum: Disabled

FSB & Memory Config

SLI-Ready Memory = Disable
FSB -  Memory Clock Mode = unLinked
FSB (QDR), MHz = 1333Mhz
MEM (DDR), MHz = 800Mhz

Memory Timing Section

Memory Timing Section = Expert
tCL = 5
tRCD =  5
tRP = 5
tRAS = 15
Command Per Clock = 2T

Advanced Memory Settings

tRRD: 4
tRC: 36
tWR: 6
tWTR: 11
tREF: 7.8us

CPU Configuration

Limit CPUID MaxVal = Disabled
Intel Speedstep = Disabled
CPU Thermal Control = Enabled
C1E Enhanced Halt State = Disabled
Execute Disabled Bit = Enabled
Virtualization Technology = Enabled

System Voltages

CPU Core = Auto
Memory Voltage = 2.1v
CPU FSB = Auto 	
nForce MCP = 1.55	
HT nForce SPP <-> MCP = Auto

After setting to these values, save them and boot to the Memtest ISO. Allow for two full passes and if stable, enter Windows. Run CPU-z. Post the CPU, SPD and Memory tabs.

I remembered reading that with 8GB would have to disable SLI and run at 800 so was expected.

Right now I only have TWIN2X4096CDF installed and still crashing. I have not received the other set as it was ordered by a relative as a gift and am waiting to arrive.

I will run above tests with what I have.

Here are the results of setting changes so far, everything is exactly the same as your settings except:

CPU Freq. MHz = 29998.8/ Current Value = 3000.0 < --- E8500 is supposed to be 3.16GHz!?

CPU Muliplier = 9x <--- it doesn't let me enter.5

tRC = 31 is the max number I can go to

CPU Thermal Control = I have to choose TM1, TM2, or TM1+TM2

Memtest is running now.

Here are PC Wizard voltage results:

PC Wizard 2008 Version 1.871

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owner: Microsoft

Organisation: Microsoft

User: Stugotz

Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate Professional 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1

Report Date: Sunday 28 December 2008 at 16:46

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< Voltage, Temperature and Fans >>>

> Hardware Monitoring : Winbond W83627DHG

>> General Information

ISA Address : 0x290

Support : 132-CK-NF78

>> Sensor Information

Sensor : Winbond W83627DHG

Mode : ISA

PECI Mode : Yes

Q-Fan/SmartFan Enabled : Yes

Chassis intrusion : Yes

> Voltage CPU : 1.24 V

>> General Information CPU

Voltage : 1.238 V

MaxVID : 1.238 V

MinVID : 1.101 V

> Processor Fan : 937 rpm

> CPU1 : 1360 rpm

> Processor : Thermal Diode

> NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 : nVidia Driver

> GPU Temperature : 48 °C

> GPU Ambient : 43 °C

***** End of report *****

Memtest ran two passes with zero errors!

Boots to Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit just fine. Shouldn't CPU be above 3.0 and DRAM speed be higher than PC2-6400 at 400mhz? Quad Kit Packages? I am a loyal Corsair customer and did not see those as an option.

Here are SS of the tabs from CPU-z:

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/529/cputabdb0.jpg

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4979/memorytabsg0.jpg

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/6130/spdtabob6.jpg

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4930/spdtab2gi0.jpg

Memtest ran two passes with zero errors!

Boots to Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit just fine. Shouldn't CPU be above 3.0 and DRAM speed be higher than PC2-6400 at 400mhz? Quad Kit Packages? I am a loyal Corsair customer and did not see those as an option.

You might have to upgrade the BIOS on your mainboard to gain the .5 multipliers.

Regarding the Quad Kits. There are no 8GB Quad Kits, just 4GB Quad Kits.

Your CPU-z Memory tab shows the memory speed halved. 400Mhz X 2 (DDR) = 800Mhz which means you are running with 800Mhz.

Here's a CPU-z Memory tab of 1066Mhz DRAM:

http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2008/04/10/popular_speeds_and_timings_compared/cpuz-ddr2-1066-55515.png

I called EVGA and had already upgraded to P08, which is the latest bios version, before running these tests.

P08 Here: http://www.evga.com/support/drivers/default.asp?switch=2

Also, why is 31 the greates number and not 36 ... any way to fix that?

From my results, what do you recommend me setting timing/voltage to or are the results I psoted ok?

You need to contact EVGA for such questions. Your DRAM timings and results are correct. I would stick with them.

I called EVGA and had already upgraded to P08, which is the latest bios version, before running these tests.

P08 Here: http://www.evga.com/support/drivers/default.asp?switch=2

Also, why is 31 the greates number and not 36 ... any way to fix that?

From my results, what do you recommend me setting timing/voltage to or are the results I psoted ok?

Hopefully from here on out no more crashes!

Oh, and thank you VERY much for your help. I do appreciate the fact that you took the time to educate me about my memory problems/settings.

Customer service is one of the main reasons I try to ALWAYS stick with Corsair!

Thank you,

JT

P.S. I will be unable to work on new rig for about a week due to work but will let you know if all goes stable and well when I get back!

You're very welcome and yes, keep us informed if any issues arise.

Hopefully from here on out no more crashes!

Oh, and thank you VERY much for your help. I do appreciate the fact that you took the time to educate me about my memory problems/settings.

Customer service is one of the main reasons I try to ALWAYS stick with Corsair!

Thank you,

JT

P.S. I will be unable to work on new rig for about a week due to work but will let you know if all goes stable and well when I get back!

One last question before I go!

After looking at your PC specs, and finding out I have an option to upgrade to a 790i board, is there less of a timing/voltage issue with DDR3 as there is with DDR2 that I read about and am experiencing?

This issue is across the board (no pun intended) with all chipsets. There is a better possibility with the higher end chipsets but still, it's a dice throw and it is advised to drop the DRAM speed with 790i and a four DRAM slot population. I wouldn't worry about it personally because all Intel CPU systems must have the CPU : DRAM ratio of at least 1:1 so even when the DRAM is twice as fast ie. 1:2, the difference in performance is 3 - 7% at best. Benchmark programs test theoretical speed, not actual use.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, have all 8Gb installed with the settings you gave me and so far so good!

Except, I still get this glitching when I open the Volume Mixer:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1447/volumeerrorxi1.jpg

Yes, I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for audio ... didn't fix.

Any ideas why the glitching on screen like that or how to fix?

Any ideas why the glitching on screen like that or how to fix?

Disable the onboard audio and install an aftermarket sound card. If you can afford such a system you can afford better sound. :D:

Just my 2 cents. When I come across issues such as this and the easy fix does not work, I look for workarounds rather than fixes.

I have a nice sound card I can install, just wasn't sure if those fragmented graphics O was getting was from the onboard audio or a messed up motherboard I should RMA.

Could mobo be glitched or something and cause that, or are graphics like that a software problem usually?

Oh, and what is the difference if I set the timing to 18 instead of 15?

Noticable difference or no?

I have a nice sound card I can install, just wasn't sure if those fragmented graphics O was getting was from the onboard audio or a messed up motherboard I should RMA.

Could mobo be glitched or something and cause that, or are graphics like that a software problem usually?

Oh, and what is the difference if I set the timing to 18 instead of 15?

Noticable difference or no?

A .9 kilo grapefruit in one hand and a 1.0 kilo grapefruit in the other hand. Noticeable difference? :): Bencharks will show a very slight improvement but in real life you'd be hard pressed to see any difference.

I can't say about the glitch. It's so minor I wouldn't bother about it personally.

Nice, thank u sir!

Wow, kinda in the mood for a grapefruit now. haha

Just found it odd that when I move volume up and down the screen flickers....hoepfully new soundcard/software will help.

I think it is a very very minor thing personally. But each to their own. :D:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived