Corsair Community

How to fix Coil shreak in vx550w

Klesk

Hello

I bought a vx550w power supply in november and it is squealing or shrieking.

The squeal was noticeable right from the start after the new system was assembled. I spent some time silencing fans and localizing the noise.

After browsing this forum i have tried stopping the power supply fan with a pencil, changing video cards etc.

The power supply squeal is louder than the fans and changes pitch slightly with the load so you can't tune it out.

What makes it bearable is that sometimes the PSU is completely quiet (about one out of four boots) and keeps quiet the whole time it is on.

It looks a lot like this thread.

I have been reluctant to opening the case and breaking the warranty I don't really was to send it for replacement and be without PSU for several weeks.

How long time would it take to get the PSU replaced?

Bear in mind that I live in Sweden and not the US and that it is holiday season.

Is it better to keep rebooting and turn up the music or should I get it replaced?

Best regards,

Klesk

There's an RMA depot in the Netherlands, so I'd imagine it should be pretty quick.

Sounds great, thanks.

Sometimes when the room is gets silent and the noise really obvious I've been sooo close to busting up the PSU and filling it with noncon-glue or something.

• Corsair Employees
Sounds great, thanks.

Sometimes when the room is gets silent and the noise really obvious I've been sooo close to busting up the PSU and filling it with noncon-glue or something.

If you would like to try a new unit then we can definitely replace the PSU for you. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

I would suggest first testing the unit in a different system just to verify that the noises follow the PSU and to rule out some other component which may be causing the issue.

Archived