Corsair Community

New 3200 XMS v3.1 isn't compatible?

BoneYank

I have been running two sticks of XMS 3200 c2 512mb ram at 2-5-2-2 for almost a year. No problems on my ABIT IT7 Max2 Ver2...until today. I added another stick of what I thought was the same memory so that I had three sticks of 512, one in each slot. They shared the same part number and specs from Newegg.com as the previous modules I had bought. When I installed the new stick in slot 2, it would boot up to WindowsXP Pro startup and then it crashed back to BIOS, rebooted and kept doing the same. I would get a system protection error. I removed all three sticks and saw that my first two were v1.1 and the second is v3.1. Now, I replaced the originals and it still gives the same errors. It tells me to make sure video and system memory cacheables are not enabled in BIOS. I cleared my CMOS, set timings to stock and ran FSB at stock speeds...still won't boot completely into windows, even with the original sticks. Am I looking at a re-install of WindowsXP Pro here? Thanks for the help in advance...

well, i cleared my CMOS again, changed to default settings and i am back in business. got into windows fine. NOW, the real question...what do i have to do in order to get this 1 stick of 512 v3.1 to work with the 2 sticks of 512 v1.1? Which settings, which banks and what voltage for my ABIT IT7 Max2 Ver 2 mobo? or do i need to return this and locate another stick of v1.1 to return to my original timings of 2-5-2-2? thanks for any help or advice you may have for me... :sunglasse

update #2... I cleared CMOS again, installed the new stick of XMS3200c2 v3.1 in Bank 2, set timings at 2.5-6-3-3 and upped voltage to 2.6 but my IT7 Max2 Ver2 won't recognize it. my fsb is still at 133, no overclocking going on... :confused: i will try and up the voltage to 2.7 and see if it helps. in the meantime, anyone with other suggestions can feel free to chime in... :D: update #3 2.7v did nothing...still won't see it in BIOS or Windows... :[pouts: I'm going to bed and pray for the Ram Guy!

• Corsair Employees
With single XMS3200C2 modules, or mixing them the suggested settings would be Cass 2.5-3-3-7. However, I am not sure what you mean here. "I cleared CMOS again, installed the new stick of XMS3200c2 v3.1 in Bank 2, set timings at 2.5-6-3-3 and upped voltage to 2.6 but my IT7 Max2 Ver2 won't recognize it. my fsb is still at 133, no over clocking going on... " Please try the new module by it self and see if it will post! If so, but they will not run together. I would suggest that you ask the reseller to exchange this for CMX512-3200LL instead. The IC we used to make this module is no longer available from Winbond. And the new version of XMS3200C2 uses Infineon IC's. However, XMS3200LL still uses Winbond -5 Rev C IC's and should work with your old modules.

ok, i got the new stick to boot by itself in DIMM slot 1 at 2-5-2-2. i realize you don't suggest these timings so i relaxed them to 2.5-7-3-3 and set the voltage at 2.7, then i installed the 2 older v1.1 sticks in DIMM slots 2 & 3, cleared CMOS and rebooted but it will only recognize the sticks in slots 1 & 2. prior to this, i used slots 1 & 3 with no issues. in short, i can't get them all to work together. the two older sticks run fine together, the newer stick will run with one older stick, but not all 3 seem to want to co-exist. i am thinking the 845 chipset i have needs EXACT matching modules when going over 1 gig... any suggestions or do i need to get on the horn with Newegg.com? it doesn't seem to be their problem, unless i need to get another stick of something else to run with my older v1.1 modules.

• Corsair Employees
First thing is, No it's not Newegg’s fault at all! Nor do I think it’s our fault or any ones fault for that matter. Just one of these things that happen! In addition to this, we have suggested that you use a matched pair of modules with any MB when running more then one module. That's why we came out with Twinx sets. When I made that suggestion, it was to try to help you solve the problem not to point blame at any one! So please do not go there. If we could make a module and never have to change anything trust me we would be better off as well. However we cannot control IC manufacturers. They have their own agenda that more often than not; does not include us! We do not sell direct and would not be able to swap for or from a specific part# to another. I would be happy to issue you an RMA and replace the module. However, I would suggest that the module you add, be the same IC or as close as possible for best performance. Last thing, with 2-256 Meg modules and one 512 Meg the 2-256 meg sticks should be in slots 1-2 and the 512 Meg would be in slot 3, so you have Dual DDR on the full 1.0 Gig of memory.

Ram Guy, I'm not blaming anyone and I'm not going to assault Newegg or you over the phone... :D: I guess the 845 chipset requires all 3 match when you go over a gig. I already had a gig and added another 512 of the new stuff. I am not sure of the exact meaning you had in your post when you mentioned RMA'ing the module. If i sent you back my new one, it would be replaced with a new one that most likely would perform the same...thats a waste of your time. I don't believe you meant for me to RMA my older modules did you? If not, i guess my resolution is to sell and buy until I get all 3 the same. Thanks for your help, i understand it's not a Corsair problem or vendor problem. It just took me awhile to figure out it's more related to the chipset and the IC on the memory modules. :sunglasse

• Corsair Employees
I guess the 845 chipset requires all 3 match when you go over a gig. I already had a gig and added another 512 of the new stuff. I am not sure of the exact meaning you had in your post when you mentioned RMA'ing the module. If i sent you back my new one, it would be replaced with a new one that most likely would perform the same...thats a waste of your time. I don't believe you meant for me to RMA my older modules did you? [COLOR=RoyalBlue]No I am sorry I was not clear, If we RMA the module, you would likely get the same revision and have the same issue. So that’s why I suggested the reseller and a different part# that I feel would be more compatible with your configuration. As I said; but did not make it very clear for you. We do not sell direct and would not have a way to change to another part#. Sorry, but we have no way to process that type of transaction![/COLOR]

Archived