Corsair Community

Memory for HP a1130n Desktop

djmoll

I would like to add memory to my HP a1130n desktop computer. It is not listed in your compatibility tool. Details of the system are listed below.

I would like to bring the system up to the maximum of 4GB of RAM, i.e. 4 x 1GB. What Corsair DDR memory do you recommend? I am concerned about compatibility with voltage and timing.

Also, can I get maximum memory speed with 4 DIMMS installed? If not, how much of a speed hit will I notice. (I really need the full 4 GB.)

Hope I provided enough information for a good answer . . .

Thanks,

David

------------------------

Windows XP (64-bit)

Base processor

Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 GHz

2000 MT/s (Mega Transfers/second)

Socket 939

Chipset

ATI Radeon XPress 200

Motherboard

Manufacturer: MSI

Motherboard Name: MS-7093

HP motherboard name: Albacore-GL6E

Memory

Component Attributes

Memory Installed 1 GB (2 x 512)

Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1GB) requires the replacement of the installed 512 MB DIMMs

*Actual available memory may be less

Speed supported PC3200 MB/sec

Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM

DIMM slots Four

Open DIMM slots Two

You will find a speed drop from 400Mhz to 333Mhz. You are not advised to mix and match modules. There is no guarantee or support for mixed and matched modules. They may work, they may not.

Sorry that I can't be more illuminating, but with OEM machines it is always a dice throw when upgrading to differently matched modules.

I assume I can discard the 2x512 sticks in the machine and replace them with 2x1GB matched sticks. If I do that, which Corsair memory should I purchase?

If I then add two more m 2x1GB matched sticks to bring it to 4GB, I assume then the speed would drop to 333. Will my machine run with 4x1GB?

Thanks for your help.

David

Your board supposedly supports 4 X 1024 and yes, the DRAM speed will drop as well as the command rate. I would buy them all at once for you may find yourself in a likewise situation trying to mix and match different versions of DRAM.

I would purchase Corsair Value Select 1GB modules for that OEM Motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145579

30.00 after Mail In Rebate

I assume I can discard the 2x512 sticks in the machine and replace them with 2x1GB matched sticks. If I do that, which Corsair memory should I purchase?

If I then add two more m 2x1GB matched sticks to bring it to 4GB, I assume then the speed would drop to 333. Will my machine run with 4x1GB?

Thanks for your help.

David

Archived