Corsair Community

System crash randomly

bigstyle

Hi,

my computer is crashing randomly (BSOD).

I have an Asus P5QPro Motherbard with the latest BIOS version. I have the default settings in the BIOS.

It seems to be a memory corruption (sometimes this is what is written in my DUMP file).

I have 8Go of Corsair 2x [PC6400 4Go XMS2 Twinx DHX CL4 (2x2Go) ] (this model so: http://prixmateriel.com/images/Corsair_xms2dhx.jpg)

I have run Memtest 86 during all the night and it found 2 errors.

http://images.imagup.com/08/1230042826_IMAGE_032.jpg

What can I do now ?

Thanks

Nobody ?

I dont know what can I do ...

Indeed, I have launched a test on each memory individually on the first Dimm of my P5Q Pro during 1 hour (2 complete passes with memtest) and no error was found.

Then I have let a memory during 25 passes and I had an error during the 7th pass.

Does it mean I have found the failing memory ?

Thank you

You are advised to drop the bandwidth one bin and raise the memory controller voltage +.2v.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

There is a limitation of the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This limitation is across the board with both AMD and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues can arise in the longer term even though you have shorter term stability. The issues seldom damage the DRAM. They damage the on motherboard memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population.

Download Memtest Version 2.10 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Shut the system down. Insert a single stick of DRAM in the first slot closest to the CPU. Restart, Enter your BIOS and Load Setup Defaults. Save Setup Defaults and set to these values:

SoftMenu Setup

JumperFree Configuration Settings
AI Overclocking = Manual
CPU Ratio Control = Auto
FSB Frequency = 333
PCI-E Frequency = 100
DRAM Frequency = DDR2-800
DRAM Command Rate = 2T
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
CAS# Latency = 5
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 5
RAS# Precharge = 5
RAS# Activate to Precharge = 15
TWR = Auto
TRFC = 55
TWTR = Auto
TRRD = Auto
TRTP = Auto
DRAM Static Read Control = Auto

Transaction Booster = Auto
Boost Level = N/A
Clock Over-Charging Mode = Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

DRAM Voltage = 2.1
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
North Bridge Voltage = 1.35v

USB Configuration
USB Functions = Enabled
Legacy USB Support = Disabled

Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. If you pass, then enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Results?

The only DDR2 DRAM modules that are supported in a four module configuration are the Quad packages.

This does not mean that they will not work. It just means that there is no support for RMA of such configurations. Also, it is not advised to mix and match versions. Please post the actual full model and versions of the two kits. Because you are populating four DRAM slots, this changes the dynamic of the system in comparison to populating with two DRAM slots. You are advised to drop the DRAM bandwidth and raise the Northbridge Memory Controller voltage +.2v to achieve stability with a four DRAM slot population.You are advised to drop the bandwidth one bin and raise the memory controller voltage +.2v.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

There is a limitation of the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This limitation is across the board with both AMD and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues can arise in the longer term even though you have shorter term stability. The issues seldom damage the DRAM. They damage the on motherboard memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population.

Download Memtest Version 2.10 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Shut the system down. Insert a single stick of DRAM in the first slot closest to the CPU. Restart, Enter your BIOS and Load Setup Defaults. Save Setup Defaults and set to these values:

SoftMenu Setup

JumperFree Configuration Settings
AI Overclocking = Manual
CPU Ratio Control = Auto
FSB Frequency = 333
PCI-E Frequency = 100
DRAM Command Rate = 2T
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
CAS# Latency = 5
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 5
RAS# Precharge = 5
RAS# Activate to Precharge = 15
TWR = Auto
TRFC = 55
TWTR = Auto
TRRD = Auto
TRTP = Auto
DRAM Static Read Control = Auto

Transaction Booster = Auto
Boost Level = N/A
Clock Over-Charging Mode = Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

DRAM Voltage = 2.1
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
North Bridge Voltage = 1.35v

USB Configuration
USB Functions = Enabled
Legacy USB Support = Disabled

Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. If you pass, then enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Results?

Hello DerekT,

thanks a lot for your answer.

I have modified the settings in the BIOS but I am not sure to understand what do you want to mean by "You are advised to drop the bandwidth one bin and raise the memory controller voltage +.2v."

What does "drop the bandwith one bin" mean please ? and if I want to raise the memory controller voltage to +2V, it is the same parameter as the "DRAM Voltage" configured to 2.1V ?

I precise also that I have configured the NorthBridge Voltage to 1.34V (1.35V is not available. I can choose between 1.34V or 1.36V). 1.34V is the good value or 1.36V is better ?

P.S: As you ve asked, here are the exact specifications of my memory :

CM2X2048-6400C4DHX

XMS2-6400 -- 2048Mb -- 800Mhz -- 4-4-4-12 -- 2.10 ver 1.1 - 08421061

The four memories have exactly the same specifications.

Here is the print screen after two pass with no error and with the modified BIOS configuration :

http://images.imagup.com/08/1230232575_CPUz_CPU.jpg

http://images.imagup.com/08/1230232599_CPUz_Memory.jpg

http://images.imagup.com/08/1230232469_CPUz_CPD.jpg

What can I do now ?

Thanks

Dropping the bandwidth one bin is lowering the speed of the DRAM one level. For example, 2 modules of 8500C5 run at 1066Mhz. If you add an additional two modules of 8500C5, you are advised to lower the bandwidth from 1066Mhz to 800Mhz. As per my BIOS settings.

You have passed the Memtest on all four modules? Good. Now change your BIOS settings to reflect this:

And install all four modules. Run Memtest and post the CPU-z again.

Dropping the bandwidth one bin is lowering the speed of the DRAM one level. For example, 2 modules of 8500C5 run at 1066Mhz. If you add an additional two modules of 8500C5, you are advised to lower the bandwidth from 1066Mhz to 800Mhz. As per my BIOS settings.

You have passed the Memtest on all four modules? Good. Now change your BIOS settings to reflect this:

And install all four modules. Run Memtest and post the CPU-z again.

Hi DerekT,

thanks again for your help.

Here is the situation.

(1). I have checked the four modules one by one . One of them had 2 errors (tst 7) during the 7th pass (and I have let 12 pass so approx 12 hours of test).

(2). After that, I have modified the NB Voltage to 1.34V (instead of Auto) and I have manually configured the timing to 5-5-5-18. For the moment, after 10 hours of Memtest, I dont have error. I will tell you in few hours if only those modifications were sufficient or not ;-)

I am still having a question.

Do I need to replace the module that has failed during Memtest (cf point (1))?

Thanks a lot

P.S: Actually my module are configured to DDR2-800 (default value)

Errors that don't repeat are not due to the DRAM. I have and can create many errors with vMCH too low, timings too low, vDIMM to low, etc. Boards are known to overvolt, undervolt, etc. etc. With the advent of the new boards and all the settings for the DRAM, it becomes harder to make stability when populating with four DRAM slots unless you tweak. However, you have the chance to tweak and make stability.

The DRAM is guaranteed for life but keep in mind that if the issues are due to the memory controller and a four DRAM slot population, then you may find yourself in an RMA process that repeats and does not fix the issue, that being inability to run well at a four DRAM slot population.

I have found that vMCH helps with test 5 - 7 errors. If you pass sometimes and fail on others especially with test 5 - 7 then the issue can often be dealt with by setting vMCH higher and/or NB GTL raise of ~+50mV.

I always test the modules singly and as a dual pair. If they pass at their rated speeds singly and as a dual pair, then the issue is external to the DRAM and RMA will not give any better result.

In other words, if you test 800Mhz DRAM at single and dual channel and pass, then fail at 800Mhz with a four DRAM slot population, an RMA will not give any better results. You can attempt stability with tweaking but sometimes even that will not allow a full kit speed at a two kit population. In that case, you are advised to drop the DRAM speed from 800Mhz to 667Mhz and accept the system mainboard limitations.

In your case, I would move to a 667Mhz speed.

Hi DerekT,

thanks again for your help.

Here is the situation.

(1). I have checked the four modules one by one . One of them had 2 errors (tst 7) during the 7th pass (and I have let 12 pass so approx 12 hours of test).

(2). After that, I have modified the NB Voltage to 1.34V (instead of Auto) and I have manually configured the timing to 5-5-5-18. For the moment, after 10 hours of Memtest, I dont have error. I will tell you in few hours if only those modifications were sufficient or not ;-)

I am still having a question.

Do I need to replace the module that has failed during Memtest (cf point (1))?

Thanks a lot

P.S: Actually my module are configured to DDR2-800 (default value)

Hi Derek,

it is very very strange...

After the configuration of my NB Voltage to 1.34V, I tested again the 8Go memory (all together).

After 18h of test (14 complete pass), I had again an error on pass 9 but EXACTLY at the same Failing address ! (0016a289cb8 - 5794.5Mb)

Here is the picture : http://images.imagup.com/08/1230651370_IMAGE_041.jpg

What could it mean ?

Thank you !

Keep in mind that you are trying to run the four modules as a two module kit at 800Mhz so very likely you will find issues with such a population even with an RMA. It might well even be worse.

You need to drop to 667Mhz with four DRAM slots being populated.

You ask "What Could It Mean". Did you read the links and what I posted above? Do you not understand what I posted with regards to a four DRAM slot population?

I don't see why you are confused. It is not at all strange. You are trying to run a four DRAM module population at the speed of a two DRAM module population and I gave you more than enough information to understand this IF you actually read what I posted.

If such an error bothers you then you can determine the module, set the twin set to RMA. I personally don't worry about such an issue, but some do.

For me it doesn't matter if I dont have anymore some BSOD :D

Since I have defined the NB Voltage do 1.34V I am still waiting for a BSOD.

I will "re-open" this thread if I have one more BSOD.

What I dont understand is why did I receive exactly the same error during the test ?

For me it doesn't matter if I dont have anymore some BSOD :D

Since I have defined the NB Voltage do 1.34V I am still waiting for a BSOD.

I will "re-open" this thread if I have one more BSOD.

What I dont understand is why did I receive exactly the same error during the test ?

The DRAM is tested to run with 800Mhz in a two slot solution, not a four DRAM slot solution. They are sold as and supported as a "Kit of Two" unless you buy a "Quad Kit" which is supported and sold as a four DRAM slot solution. When the error occurs randomly it can be for a variety of reasons. Firstly, if you read the posts above, you would see that the memory controller can issue problems with load and access at two slot speeds when populated with four slots. If you look at your motherboard's specifics it will give a maximum capacity and a maximum throughput but NOT a maximum capacity AT that maximum throughput.

I advise you to drop your DRAM speed to 667Mhz as you could well end up with motherboard memory controller issues in the longer term. Very possibly after your warranty is over.

With regards to testing the DRAM for Warranty purposes, you can test the DRAM at 800Mhz with the required voltage and test single modules. If you find an error with a module, then you can send in the pair for RMA. If you find issues with two modules (Dual Channel Mode) then you have an issue with the motherboard memory controller. If you find issues with four modules, then you have an issue with the motherboard memory controller.

I think you will find that in time your motherboard memory controller will degenerate since you are already finding issues which is why I advise you to drop the DRAM speed.

You will always have a lifetime warranty for the DRAM if you find issues on Memtest on single modules. To find two modules erroring out almost always is external to the DRAM. Not always as there can be the anomaly where two modules are in error, but it is not likely.

At any rate, good luck if you continue to run with 800Mhz and four DRAM modules.

Archived