Corsair Community

TWINX512 PC4000 Dual channel crashes

Zeos

I have 2 motherboards that I've tried these chips (TWINX-512, PC4000) My asus A7N8X-Deluxe (Rev 1.06, Athlon XP 3200+, 200Mhz bus, memory @ 100% clock, latest BIOS) runs perfectly with one or the other installed, it also runs great with both installed in a single channel configuration, but If they are installed in the slots that enable dual channel support I get instant crashes in both windows (as soon as windows loads) and linux (sooner or later, but usually sooner) The other board, a Gigabyte GA-7VT600-L, runs the modules perfectly, but as it has a VIA chipset, there is no dual channel support. I bought these for the Asus board though, so I would really like to use them there....In single channel mode, and with one chip installed at a time memtest86 runs flawlessly, reporting zero errors after several hours. As soon as I install both modules in dual channel mode, memtest simply freezes after 5 minutes or so of operation :confused: If I lower my FSB on the board to 195 and set my memory to 100% it will test ok, but I still get issues with windows. Installing them in the same board with an Athlon 2100+ (133FSB) works great as well, but it seems as if these modules just don't want to work together in dual channel at 200/400 MHZ memory timings in BIOS are 3-4-4-8 @ 2.7v, I've also tried by SPD, as well as default voltage settings with no luck.

• Corsair Employees
If both memory modules test fine on there own and in single channel mode, the problem more than likely lies in another piece of hardware, mainly your MB. Being able to run a lower speed CPU and memory frequency also points to the MB as not being able to run dual channel at 400 mhz. Do you have any other memory that you would be able to test on the A7N8X? I have no problem replacing the memory, but everything that you have pointed out points to other problems besides the memory. Please let me know. Thanks!

Unfortunatly, I don't have 2 modules on hand that are capable of those bus speeds. I kind of had a suspision that it was the MB myself, I just wanted someone who knows more about memory than I do to confirm it, which you did ;) I'm running those 2 modules in my VIA KT600 based system right now at 200/400, and have been since i posted the original message without so much as a hiccup. I'm inclined to think they don't need RMA'ing. I'll be ordering a new DFI board in a week or two, I'll see how they work with that. Thanks again for your insight....

• 2 weeks later...
Just an update incase anyone else may be interested in this.... I downgraded my mobo's bios from 1007 to 1004 and it gets ALOT better. no errors in memtest running dual channel and windows runs great at 200/400 fsb. Sadly, the board just can't handle those speeds, the southbridge is overheating like crazy and causing instabilities in most 3d games. I just ordered a new dfi board to run all of this stuff:sunglasse, guess the old asus will get used with the 2100+ chip I've got here for something eventually :(:

Archived