Corsair Community

GA-MA78G-DS3H + TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX = ? Stability

Zyxmon

About a month ago my son and me have assembled a new computer. The main components are

Gigabyte mb - GA-MA78G-DS3H

Processor Athlon X2 5200+ Brisbane G2

Memory TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX

HDD Hitachi HDP725050GLA360

The system is not very stable - it randomly freezes (need to push reset button) and randomly reboots. This does not depend on cpu load. The system can be stable for a week (24/7) and can halt 3 times a day afterwards.

All the problems are with windows xp sp3. It may be a software problem. There were no problems with Mandriva one 2008.1 free 32 bit. It is a dual-boot system. (We needed some tweaking to solve linux logout problem with ati drivers)

It may be a processor, motherboard or even PSU problem.

There are no problems when running tests (memtest, stability test in AMD Overdrive, 3Dmark'06 run, HDD tests (victoria or MHDD).

In case it is a compatibility problem with Corsair memory I've tried some bios tweaking (using advices on different forums).

1. I have disabled Q'n'Q (in bios and power scheme).

2. I have disabled EPP (It works, the voltage is set 2.1 automatically, the timings in SPD (4-4-4-12) and in CPU-Z are identical. Now I have disabled EPP and set the timings and voltage manually. There are some values that are not listed in SPD, acording to the bios they are the same as set automatically. This did not help - I had a computer freeze in 2 days.

3. Now I'm testing the stability with MEMCLOCK tri-state - Enabled (as it was adviced somewhere in the internet).

I'll post a bios screen with memory setting later. Any advice on these settings to improve stability would be appreciated.

Sorry for my spelling and mistakes. English is not my native language.

PS I have found some timings for TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX on this forum. But the names used look different from my bios names.

PPS I have already updated Southbrige and Video drivers.

Your settings look correct.

Download Memtest86+ V2.10 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Shut the system down. Insert a single stick of the DRAM in slot 1 (Closest to the CPU) and boot to the Memtest CD. Allow for two full passes. Shut the system down, remove that stick and insert the second stick in slot 3. Restart and allow for two full passes. If both sticks pass, shut the system down and insert the sticks in Slot 1 and Slot 3. Retest.

Results?

Thanks for the advice. I have already done tests (Memtest86+ V2.10) with 2 sticks in slots 1 and 2 (dual chanel mode). The test passed. I'll try more passes. Do I need to test seperatly and in single chanel mode (slots 1 &3)?

Thanks for the advice. I have already done tests (Memtest86+ V2.10) with 2 sticks in slots 1 and 2 (dual chanel mode). The test passed. I'll try more passes. Do I need to test seperatly and in single chanel mode (slots 1 &3)?

No, if you've tested and passed in Dual Channel mode then that's enough. Testing singly is to isolate a bad from good stick. The issues you are having have been isolated from the DRAM. Can you install a fresh OS? Have you tested the Hard Drive(s). Video Card issues? Have you checked your event viewer for the blue screens?

• Corsair Employees

Based on what you have posted, you have run Memtest correctly and it does not sound like the memory is the issue. Your system will run the best with the modules in the proper slots for dual channel operation so, refer to the manual and insert the memory into the correct slots.

Do you have the most recent BIOS version from Gigabyte?

Yes, I have the latest BIOS from Gigabyte. I have the latest drivers from ATI(AMD). I have the latest drivers for integrated NIC (Realtek). I have not yet updated drivers for integrated audio (Realtek).

My memory is in dual chanel mode (acording to Everest, CPU-Z and bios splash screen). It is inserted in the slots acording to the m/b manual for dual channel mode.

I have tested an HDD, I have tested integrated video with 3dMark'06 (it is not a long test).

I'll try a long memtest run, I'll also will reinstall OS. (At least I'll start with uninstalling firewall and antivirus - they can cause problems. But there are no problems with this firewall and antivirus on 2 Intel computers at home.)

As I've written in the first post there are no problems with linux. The computer is on 24/7 but mostly with windows xp. Linux is used several hours a weak for my son learning programming.

I had no time to reinstall OS. But I had time to run memtest for a longer time - no errors in dual mode.

After some internet searching I've decided to raise trfc from 105 to 127.5 in the memory slots with RAM.

The system seems to be stable for several days now. It is not a long enough period.

Today I've noticed that everest shows tWR value 8, while the mobo set it to 6.

Who is wrong Everest or mobo BIOS? Is there another program that can read EPP profile on the mobo with AMD 780G chipset?

I'm attaching a screenshot of everest

http://www.zyxmon.org/tmp/everest.jpg

BTW As far as I remember the revision of TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX is 5.something or 6.something!

You are looking at the EPP. That's a profile, not a report on actual timings. This is the area you need to check out.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/DerekT2008/everest-1.jpg

I had no time to reinstall OS. But I had time to run memtest for a longer time - no errors in dual mode.

After some internet searching I've decided to raise trfc from 105 to 127.5 in the memory slots with RAM.

The system seems to be stable for several days now. It is not a long enough period.

Today I've noticed that everest shows tWR value 8, while the mobo set it to 6.

Who is wrong Everest or mobo BIOS? Is there another program that can read EPP profile on the mobo with AMD 780G chipset?

I'm attaching a screenshot of everest

http://www.zyxmon.org/tmp/everest.jpg

BTW As far as I remember the revision of TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX is 5.something or 6.something!

You are looking at the EPP. That's a profile, not a report on actual timings.

Yes I know. The EPP profile shows 8, BIOS and memory timings show 6!

What is the number in profile. That is the question. Probably mobo does not set correct timings from EPP.

BTW Here are the timings. I did not post it before

http://www.zyxmon.org/tmp/chipset.jpg

Can I check the EPP profile with Memset or RMClock? I am afraid RMClock does not support AMD 780G.

I have already posted the same question in Russian on Gigabyte support forum here

- http://gigabyte.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=28337

I'll became a spesialist in RAM soon ;D

I am studing EPP specification from Nvidia and Corsair now. There is a field in EPP:

Byte Number 126 Bit Field 7:0 Profile 1 Value Write Recovery Time (tWR). But the mobo seems to set timing from SPD part.

But the mobo seems to set timing from SPD part.

Yes. Often the motherboard manufacturers tweak their BIOS to allow for board translation idiosyncrasies and will create setting resets to different valuations ie. If found 6T, set to 8T. :eek: I just set to Auto and read the given values from BIOS when I want to know the extended values. However, I have found that it matters not in anything I have needed to either know or use. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Finger crossed, but the system seems to stable now for about 10 days.

I have set manual timing (4-4-4-12) with change

1.trfc 105->127.5 (not sure it is needed)

2. tRC 22->24.

I am using new BIOS F5H, that also sets tWR to 6.

There is a new bios F5 on Gigabyte site. F5H was probably beta. I'm not in harry to flash it.

Probably these settings will help to gain stability for GA-MA78G-DS3H owners.

Archived