Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF and Dell XPS 720

kfmurray

Hi,

According to the Corsair memory configurator these modules are supposed to work with the Dell XPS 720 but I'm having problems when I install them in my 720. If I install one module (either one of the two), everything works great but when I install two together, everything starts okay but eventually problems like BSODs, memtest86+ errors, memory failures trying to wake Vista out of sleep mode start happening. Could this be an overheating issue? I've run it with the cover off and the machine originally had a pair of Corsair 1 GB modules that ran without problems at 1066 MHz. I do have the AirFlow fan unit but I have no idea where I'm supposed to plug it in on this motherboard. Do you have any suggestions?

TIA,

Kevin Murray

Oakville, Ontario

Canada

Did you use Ntune to setup your 2 X 1024MB modules? If so, use Ntune again and set all default. Enter your BIOS and load Default settings. Save Default settings. Go to your DRAM speed and set it to 1066Mhz and DRAM voltage to 2.1v. Save settings (not default again) and reboot. You will then have your system set back to default and set your DRAM to 1066Mhz.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=19&dl=false&l=en&s=dhs&docid=2D49BCB34F93B73BE040A68F5B281E9B

Did you use Ntune to setup your 2 X 1024MB modules? If so, use Ntune again and set all default. Enter your BIOS and load Default settings. Save Default settings. Go to your DRAM speed and set it to 1066Mhz and DRAM voltage to 2.1v. Save settings (not default again) and reboot. You will then have your system set back to default and set your DRAM to 1066Mhz.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=19&dl=false&l=en&s=dhs&docid=2D49BCB34F93B73BE040A68F5B281E9B

Thanks for that info, DerekT. I'll try that when I get home tonight and see what happens. I did use Ntune but only to reset the voltage for the RAM. Unfortunately the Dell BIOS does not lend itself to this kind of procedure as the support link you provided shows. I thought this would just be a matter of installing the modules and away you go. Oh well.

I do have the AirFlow fan unit but I have no idea where I'm supposed to plug it in on this motherboard. Do you have any suggestions?

If your motherboard does not have an extra 3-pin header, then you can purchase a 3-pin to molex adapter. Connect the female adapter molex to the power supply male molex and the three pin male fan connector to the three pin female adapter.

http://www.pcsilent.de/ppic_MAXI__525molex3.jpg

I decided to return the modules. I've been trying to get them to work for a couple of weeks and I've decided that the Dell XPS 720 isn't well suited to this kind of upgrade. Tweaking the BIOS through software just doesn't cut it. I am still interested in upgrading to 4 GB of RAM but I think I'll buy the TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX kit instead. That should be a simple matter of swapping out the existing 2 X 1 GB of Dominator RAM with the new modules, right? Or do I have to turn off EPP/SLI support first?

I decided to return the modules. I've been trying to get them to work for a couple of weeks and I've decided that the Dell XPS 720 isn't well suited to this kind of upgrade. Tweaking the BIOS through software just doesn't cut it. I am still interested in upgrading to 4 GB of RAM but I think I'll buy the TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX kit instead. That should be a simple matter of swapping out the existing 2 X 1 GB of Dominator RAM with the new modules, right? Or do I have to turn off EPP/SLI support first?

When you go with such OEM (Dell) products and higher end DRAM it is not a given that you will have a simple solution. There's just no guarantee, especially when Ntune has been used to setup prior modules. You need to contact Dell and get them to advise you on what and how to do what you want. Considering the cost of such machines I would hope that their support is good.

I advise you to turn the machine off and remove the power cord. Then remove the small internal battery on the motherboard. Remove the DRAM. Then after a 24 hour period, install the battery, the new DRAM and insert the power cord.

Restart.

When you go with such OEM (Dell) products and higher end DRAM it is not a given that you will have a simple solution. There's just no guarantee, especially when Ntune has been used to setup prior modules. You need to contact Dell and get them to advise you on what and how to do what you want. Considering the cost of such machines I would hope that their support is good.

I advise you to turn the machine off and remove the power cord. Then remove the small internal battery on the motherboard. Remove the DRAM. Then after a 24 hour period, install the battery, the new DRAM and insert the power cord.

Restart.

Isn't 24 hours a bit long just to clear the CMOS? Of the countless times I've done this, 10 mins has done the stick. If you wanted to be safe, I'd say 30 mins max.

Archived