Corsair Community

P5QL pro with 4 x 2GB Corsair DDR2 XMS2-6400 ?

Acronicta

I´ve a Asus P5QL pro Motherboard.

Actually 2x2 GB Corsair DDR2 XMS2-6400 is installed.

Would it be possible, to put another, same Corsair XMS2 DIMM Kit 4GB PC2-6400U CL5-5-5-18 (DDR2-800) Kit on it,

so I would have 8 BG Ram ( 4x2 GB) ?

Would this work fine?

(Vista 64bit)

• Corsair Employees
It should work fine but, you may have to lower the memory frequency to 667 to be stable with 4 modules due to the extra load on the memory controller. Also, you need to exactly match the current revision of your memory as mixing different revisions can be problematic and is not recommended.

It is advised to drop the bandwidth when populating with four DRAM slots. Also it is advised to raise the MCH (Northbridge +.2v).

Let me be clear here. The only memory Corsair supports in a four DRAM slot population is their Quad kits. This does not mean they will not work, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work. If there are problems with the DRAM modules, they are still supported via lifetime warranty, but that is for physical defects. Be sure that you get the same version DRAM. Be careful here, because there can be the same model but different versions that will NOT play nice together. Matched Quad sets are highly binned modules for a four slot population. The Dual sets are tested as a kit, not a Quad.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

There is a limitation of the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This limitation is across the board with both AMD and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues can arise in the longer term even though you have shorter term stability. The issues seldom damage the DRAM unless you raise the DRAM voltage too high. They damage the on CPU (AMD) memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Those who want to be secure in their system either purchase a single kit of the DRAM capacity that the four singles have or they move to a higher bandwidth DRAM and drop the bandwidth. I also advise it as I have personally seen the issues that can and often do arise with a four DRAM slot population running at the full speed of a single kit speed.

So, in summation, it should work, but you are advised to drop the bandwidth to 667Mhz and raise the MCP/SPP Memory Controller +.2v.

It should work fine but, you may have to lower the memory frequency to 667 ...

A Q9550 CPU, which works with a FSB of 1333MHz, is installed.

Everything in BIOS is set to default.

So the current set frequency for the RAM should be 667 MHz, isn´t it?

(Sorry for my bad english, I´m from germany)

Archived