Corsair Community

How to keep my flash in shape and probability of something bad happen to my pendrive

Bushi

Well hello hope this is the right place to post my concerns if not then :D: and sorry if i make any mistakes (and i surelly do:biggrin:) since english its not my native language.

Yesterday I get my fist pendrive as a gift (corsair flash voyager 8GB) since i anyway wanted to by one it was just in time :cool: but i have a few question.

I have noticed that on several threads (not only on this forum) the same scenario repeats quiete frequent "after some time of using the flash stop being recognized by computer or its recognized but all files are corrupt " i assume that there is at least some simullar resons or actions taken by users that leads to it so i would like to know what my cause that my flash dont be recognized by the computer all of a sudden and how to prevent it since its quete frequent question i would like to know how often flashes corsair voyager doing so, you know just want to know should i prepare myself mentally to that scenario :laughing: so how big the probability it hapen?

The second question is, I read somewhere that under rubber there is no protection of flash (the metal envelop its only outside and not prolonged to the inside) so the chip is protected only by the rubber and no metal kascet inside that would reinforce it so it can be brocken with more ease than the flashes that envelops in metall boxes, just want to know do it have a metall box under the rubber or not, dont want to chek it by myself ;): by bending it or something.

And the third question, I read somewhere that every time you want to pul out the flash from the usb slot you have to right klick on it and choose 'eject' and it recomendet to do so even if i do have checked the option that allows me to not doing it (no cash ot something like that, dont know how to translate it in english) so is it relly maters do i eject it or not?

Well on last question i search but didnt find answer on that forum, so correct me if i wrong, FAT32 alows me to save more small files with less space lost, but there is bigger probability that files my be damaged somehow also its not alow me to save files more that 3 GB, instead NTFS alows me to save files bigger than 4 GB, Dont know is there is any difference in speed, and there will be more space wasteing on small files and that NTFS have some compatybillity isue and also shorten live of flash (not really understand this one is pendrive have some kind writing limitation, like it can be owerwriting by some specyfing number of times? )

Sry if question where noobish but i never have a pendrive before and not really know what to expect :D:

• Corsair Employees

The issues you speak of are common for all removable media like this.

I would suggest reading App Note AN803 as it will address most of these questions.

The second question is, I read somewhere that under rubber there is no protection of flash (the metal envelop its only outside and not prolonged to the inside) so the chip is protected only by the rubber and no metal casket inside that would reinforce it so it can be broken with more ease than the flashes that envelops in metal boxes, just want to know do it have a metal box under the rubber or not, don't want to chek it by myself by bending it or something.

A: Yes that is true if you want something more indestructible I would suggest purchasing our Flash Survivor.

And the third question, I read somewhere that every time you want to pul out the flash from the usb slot you have to right klick on it and choose 'eject' and it recomendet to do so even if i do have checked the option that allows me to not doing it (no cash ot something like that, dont know how to translate it in english) so is it relly maters do i eject it or not?

A: Yes you should stop the flash drive or any removable drive before you physically remove the drive to help and prevent from corrupting the drive.

Well on last question i search but didn't find answer on that forum, so correct me if i wrong, FAT32 allows me to save more small files with less space lost, but there is bigger probability that files my be damaged somehow also its not alow me to save files more that 3 GB, instead NTFS allows me to save files bigger than 4 GB, Dont know is there is any difference in speed, and there will be more space wasting on small files and that NTFS have some compatibility issue and also shorten live of flash (not really understand this one is pen drive have some kind writing limitation, like it can be overwriting by some specifying number of times? )

A: Fat32 or NTFS or any file system will not matter to the flash drive it is after all just a file system, however there is some truth to using NTFS will shorten the life of the drive. However, it is subtle and in 99% of users doing that they would still not use it enough to notice the drive failing before the warranty ran out. So use what ever file system you want and if the drive fails in ten years we will be happy to replace it.

Thank you very much for you help.

Just one more thing I forget to ask? I was searching is it posible but didnt find the solution when i want to watch movie from pendrive or listen to music the blue diode flashing and in dark room its rather distracting so is there a way to turn the diode off when reading from the flash "Corsair flash voyager 8GB"

Archived