Corsair Community

HELP optimizing my CM2x2048-6400C5 and Q6600

theowl

OK, so: Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0, BIOSTAR G31-M7 TE motherboard, 2x2GB CM2x2048-6400C5 RAM, GeForce 9500 GT, 64-bit Vista...

First things first, I'm wondering why I only get a 5.6 in the Windows Experience Index for RAM? I ran it next to a very similar system - only it was a 3.0GHz E8400 Dual Core and ******** brand 4GB instead, and the RAM rating is 5.9. Both are DDR2-800, so why could this be? I know the WEI could be buggy, but is it more than that? Most dismiss this score but I merely wanted it for validation. Why would the Duo Core with 4GB ******** (brand) be 5.9 and my Quad Core with 4GB Corsair XMS2 be 5.6? It's driving me crazy! I originally thought Vista was using too much RAM - near 40% usage at "idle" desktop. Now I'm thinking I have some setting wrong. Though with CPUz, I do display 4096 MB at 398MHz.

So it got me wanting to make sure I'm optimizing my RAM. My timings were set to BIOS default at 6-6-6-15 but I changed it to 5-5-5-15 and then now 4-4-4-12. (None of these effect the WEI score.) Where do I want to be at with those timings? And, I don't see where I can change the voltage in my BIOS - which is currently at 1.8v. It displays voltages but I'm not able to select or adjust any. I've heard I want this as high as 2.1. Do I need to increase mine? If so, how?

Once that is settled, I think I want to overclock my CPU. I hear my Q6600 is very stable at 3.0GHz without having to add any cooling. If this is safe, why not? However, similarly, I don't know how I can change this or any relevant voltage. I believe this is an American Megatrends BIOS, version 080014 it looks like. Anyone familiar? My FSB is 1033, I believe, so the bus speed is set at 266. This I can change. I would have to change this to 333 (1333/4) to clock at 3.0, correct? What else would I have to change and can I do this outside of BIOS if my BIOS locks me out from changes?

So, I'm hoping for some answers and guidance to get the most out of this set up...

Thanks.

The reason for the lower memory index is the FSB speed of the 2 CPU's. The Q6600 runs at 1066MHz and the E8400 at 1333MHz. Because RAM runs at half FSB on a stock configured Intel CPU, the RAM frequency is 533MHz and 667MHz respectively. If you were to overclock the FSB to 1333MHz (core clock 3GHz), then theoretically your memory index should equal the E8400.

I have not heard of a Q660 that couldn't handle FSB1333 on stock voltage so you may as well go and change the FSB to 333MHz, no other changes necessary. Although if you do enounter any stability problems, bumping the voltage to the next step up will likely solve it.

Providing your motherboard is not from an OEM (Dell, HP), you should be free to change the FSB and voltage.

OK, so I tried changing the FSB from 266 to 333. When I did this, the DDR frequency option below it changed from DDR2-800 to DDR2-999. I changed this back to DDR2-832 (closest to 800?) and reboot. I got an error saying "Overclocking failed." So I went back in BIOS and tried this DDR frequency at "Default" and "999," and I get the same error.

As I said in the first post, I don't see how to manually change the voltage. But there is one option that says "CPU Voltage" with options of "Default," "+5%," "+10%," and ""+15%." I changed this to +5% and when I reboot I get a blue screen. I had to change the FSB back to 266 and voltage to "default" in order to get the computer to boot to Windows.

So, now what? I see voltages and CPU MHz listed but I cannot manually change them there. Everyone's telling me I should have no problem boosting the 2.4/1066 to 3.0/1333...

I would check with http://www.overclock.net. That's a great site for newcomers and many have the Biostar boards.

Keep in mind that you can not compare your board with one such as an ASUS board with regards to memory performance. You need to compare your board with another of your boards. The top tier boards are far more optimized than the lower end tier 2 boards.

I do need to tell you though, that board is not one I would overclock with. It is a low end board with minimal layers and low end capacitors, etc. I would not overclock it so I will not advise to overclock it either. Try Overclock.net if you want to see if you can get anywhere but I won't advise an overclock on that board. On the Biostar T-Power boards, yes, but not the ones like yours.

So did I screw myself with this mobo? I bought a pre-built system and the board worried me a little but I thought it'd be fine. So is my RAM technically underperforming because of this board? Is there nothing I can do about it then?

I thought the 2.4GHz Quad with Corsair XMS2 would be better but is their 3.0GHz E8400 Dual Core actually getting significantly better memory performance and all then? Both computers were being advertised as a 1333 FSB but it's apparently running at the 1066. Afterwards, they too told me it's an easy overclock on the Q6600... :[pouts:

So did I screw myself with this mobo? I bought a pre-built system and the board worried me a little but I thought it'd be fine. So is my RAM technically underperforming because of this board? Is there nothing I can do about it then?

I thought the 2.4GHz Quad with Corsair XMS2 would be better but is their 3.0GHz E8400 Dual Core actually getting significantly better memory performance and all then? Both computers were being advertised as a 1333 FSB but it's apparently running at the 1066. Afterwards, they too told me it's an easy overclock on the Q6600... :[pouts:

The Q6600 is older technology and runs on a 266Mhz (QDR 1066Mhz) FSB. The advertising was in error. The E8400 is newer technology and runs on a 333 (QDR 1333Mhz) FSB. But even so, the CPU is not the issue. The motherboard is the issue if you are trying to overclock. Yes, the Q6600 is an easy 3.0Ghz overclock if it is a G0 stepping. But not with that board. At least I would never advise such a thing. It's a 50 dollar board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813138125

I wouldn't even worry about it. It's still a fast system at stock.

Thanks. It is a G0, but I guess that's bad news about my board then. I'm not so worried about the CPU clock per se, as I am the memory performance, though that apparently goes hand-in-hand with the FSB. So changing the FSB to 333 would improve my RAM speed but it's not advised on this board - which is probably why I got an 'Overclocking Failed' when I tried doing so... is this correct? Disappointing to think my RAM and CPU would be so much better if stock used a better board...

Thanks. It is a G0, but I guess that's bad news about my board then. I'm not so worried about the CPU clock per se, as I am the memory performance, though that apparently goes hand-in-hand with the FSB. So changing the FSB to 333 would improve my RAM speed but it's not advised on this board - which is probably why I got an 'Overclocking Failed' when I tried doing so... is this correct? Disappointing to think my RAM and CPU would be so much better if stock used a better board...

You should be able to set the DRAM to 800Mhz. Under DRAM Frequency.

DRAM Frequency = 800Mhz

Then set the timings to 5-5-5-15. I would not set to 4-4-4-12 with that DRAM. You can try it and Memtest it but I doubt you can get those timings. If you could, the modules would be binned for 4-4-4-12. You are warranted for up to and including 2.1v on the DRAM. So you could set to 2.1v and test for 4-4-4-12 with Memtest, but I don't think your board has DRAM voltage settings. Don't expect much from it and don't try and treat it like an overclocking board as it is not one. Set to 800Mhz with 5-5-5-15 is my advice.

Admittedly I don't really know what I'm talking about but I saw some say elsewhere that it runs well at 4-4-4-12 and so I tried those settings, 800MHz, booted with MemTest86+ and had no errors (after 1 pass). I only now changed them back to 5-5-5-15 per help here and at that overclock.net. Both boot fine and I see no difference in behavior. You're right that I don't think I CAN set the voltage to 2.1, or up at all from 1.8v. The only voltage related option my BIOS gives me is "CPU Voltage" with the options 'Default,' '+5%,' '+10%,' '+15%.'

Per some advice on the other forum you linked me to, I was told to try 333 FSB, 832MHz, 5-5-5-15 with small boosts to voltage for RAM, CPU and North bridge. Again, I can't change the voltage but I tried once to boot with those settings, with default voltage settings, and that's where I am now. Booted once fine, haven't tried to boot again, not sure how to test if I am stable.

CPUz tells me my FSB is 334.4, RAM is 418MHz, Core speed jumps between 2000 and 3000 MHz (I guess that's because of SpeedStep?). That's all good, right? Everything appears stable. RAM is at 1.8v and core about 1.2v. CPU temps are all 30-40... Does this change your opinion or am I going to see a problem come up soon? What would I monitor for?

Admittedly I don't really know what I'm talking about but I saw some say elsewhere that it runs well at 4-4-4-12 and so I tried those settings, 800MHz, booted with MemTest86+ and had no errors (after 1 pass). I only now changed them back to 5-5-5-15 per help here and at that overclock.net. Both boot fine and I see no difference in behavior. You're right that I don't think I CAN set the voltage to 2.1, or up at all from 1.8v. The only voltage related option my BIOS gives me is "CPU Voltage" with the options 'Default,' '+5%,' '+10%,' '+15%.'

Per some advice on the other forum you linked me to, I was told to try 333 FSB, 832MHz, 5-5-5-15 with small boosts to voltage for RAM, CPU and North bridge. Again, I can't change the voltage but I tried once to boot with those settings, with default voltage settings, and that's where I am now. Booted once fine, haven't tried to boot again, not sure how to test if I am stable.

CPUz tells me my FSB is 334.4, RAM is 418MHz, Core speed jumps between 2000 and 3000 MHz (I guess that's because of SpeedStep?). That's all good, right? Everything appears stable. RAM is at 1.8v and core about 1.2v. CPU temps are all 30-40... Does this change your opinion or am I going to see a problem come up soon? What would I monitor for?

Download Prime95-->

Download Real Temp from-->

Be sure to turn off your screensavers, display settings that turn the monitor off for this test.

If you pass memtest with 4-4-4-12 and stock DRAM volts, then you are very lucky. Run them at 4-4-4-12 if you are Memtest stable. Run Large FFT's for ~ 8 hours. If you get no errors you should be fine. Run Real Temp while you do this and check your temperatures. No higher than 65C. What is your Real Temp at idle? What is your highest temps when running the 8 hour test?

btw, I still do not advise overclocking on that board but if you want to, then if it does go, you can always buy a good overclocking board. It's all a matter of luck with such a board.

OK, RealTemp had me at 37, 34, 29, 31.

I just tried a run, "In-place large FFTs" and it ran for about 10 minutes before stopping with this error: "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4" Highest temps were 60, 60, 56, 56

OK, I appear stable at 320MHz for the bus, 800MHz DDR, 5-5-5-15 and default voltages across the board - so only 1.8v for the RAM which is apparently what the error in prime95 referred to. I guess I would need a voltage boost to run at 333, and I can't do that. I'll let prime95 run longer but no errors thusfar. The RAM actually runs at 400MHz now, 2.88GHz, 1280 FSB.

Thank you very much Derek for the advice.

OK, I appear stable at 320MHz for the bus, 800MHz DDR, 5-5-5-15 and default voltages across the board - so only 1.8v for the RAM which is apparently what the error in prime95 referred to. I guess I would need a voltage boost to run at 333, and I can't do that. I'll let prime95 run longer but no errors thusfar. The RAM actually runs at 400MHz now, 2.88GHz, 1280 FSB.

Thank you very much Derek for the advice.

It sounds as though you are running fine. :): Your temps are fine. You just have to keep in mind that your board was not created for overclocking and might only last a year or two. You might get lucky and have it last more or you might get unlucky and have it last less. Since you are at default voltages, I think you will be lucky. :):

68 is a little high by me, I'd suggest some aftermarket cooling. The Zalman CNPS-9700 Cu LED is an excellent cooler which looks good too.

If you were running Linpack I would say that 68 is fine. For running Prime95 I agree with FEAR6655, it's higher than I would like. If I were you, I would look towards the Arctic Freezer 7 as it is a very good midline cooler that bring your temps down and is a good fit for the budget system.

Archived