Corsair Community

Brand New 750tx w/ problems

Apsolus

Good evening all, I am having a bit of trouble with my Corsair 750tx. Whenever opening any kind of 3D Program, I get a high pitch whine from the PSU, and yes it is coming from the PSU. I have read other posts on this, and I tried the Force VSync on option, which did help lowering the noise, but in some games such as "Last Chaos" which is a free RPG, and based off of graphics for Geforce 4 series at a minimum, the noise is still the same. Unfortunately I do not have another system to try the GPU and PSU in to test them. However I did try 2 different graphics cards, a 9800GT and a 6600GT, the 9800GT was worse that my current video card causing the power supply to make much louder and annoying noises, while the 6600GT caused none. I know the noise is coming from the PSU cause I listened for it and thats the directly where it is coming from. The noise also happens while I type or use my USB mouse/keyboard. The only other odd thing of note, is the BIOS is picking up the 3.3v line at 3.23 while everything else is either within .2 less to .10 above. Any help solving this would be much appreciated, I did have a 650tx before the 750 which did the same problem and I was told to get a new PSU. Just as another note, I did have a 8800GT do this to me, who's fan died shortly there after which is why I got the 9800GTX+.

Thanks for any help ^^

• Corsair Employees
However I did try 2 different graphics cards, a 9800GT and a 6600GT, the 9800GT was worse that my current video card causing the power supply to make much louder and annoying noises, while the 6600GT caused none. I know the noise is coming from the PSU cause I listened for it and thats the directly where it is coming from. The noise also happens while I type or use my USB mouse/keyboard. The only other odd thing of note, is the BIOS is picking up the 3.3v line at 3.23 while everything else is either within .2 less to .10 above. Any help solving this would be much appreciated, I did have a 650tx before the 750 which did the same problem and I was told to get a new PSU.

Just curious, who advised you to replace the PSU in this case?

We have had some users report that updating the drivers for their video card will resolve this. If you have used 2 different series Nvidia GPUs, I'd suggest you use a driver cleaner to remove all of the old Nvidia driver, and try the latest driver for your card+OS combo.

A majority of the users we see that cannot resolve this with drivers solve it with an RMA of the GPU. Since you are seeing the same behavior with 2 different PSUs, I would not suspect the PSUs as being the cause of the noise.

Asus tech support did, well 3 out of 5 techs said replace the PSU. The other two said replace the motherboard, which I did, and replace the graphics card, which again, I did. I've basically built myself a new system cause of this noise, I was running a P5E motherboard, an 8800GT, and my original Corsair TX650 and had this problem to a higher degree. The only thing that they agreed on was sayin that a 7x650 provided insufficient amps, sayin the 3.3v needed 28amps minimum, 5v needed 28amps minimum and the 12v needed a single 19v to run the motherboard. Thus saying that the motherboard and vga card were putting stress on the psu due to that, however the tx750 does meet the requirements they listed.

• Corsair Employees

This is strange as it seems you have eliminated almost every variable. Are you using a UPS or surge suppressor? If yes, try it without them in line.

Also, have you tried it on a different outlet or entirely different circuit in your home?

Interestingly enough, I turned on Triple Buffering + VSync (which was on previously) and it eliminated almost all of the noise, however it still does happen with some programs, so I am guessing it is the video card drawing too much power causing the psu stress, and not the psu's fault. Tho, this solution brought rise to another problem, before i turned on Triple Buffering, my 3.3v was reading 3.23, which is kinda on the low side, but w/ triple on it went down even further to 3.16

Archived