Corsair Community

System completely shuts down

csplayer089

Please see my system specs so you know what type of configuration we're dealing with here. For some reason, my system completely turns itself off after a few minutes of idling in Windows or playing any games. None of my components are overheating, I am 100% sure. All my voltages have been set properly, etc. So I guess it comes down to it...is my PSU sufficient for my system? And what would cause these completely random shutdowns? I am sure that none of my hardware is faulty (besides the power supply potentially). I have also tried the paper clip test, and the PSU is working.

Please help

Thanks, csplayer089 :sigh!:

yes, i am overclocking. i am running a 12x cpu multiplier and a 250 cpu frequency; cpu is at 3.0GHz and ram is at 500mhz, with timings of 5-5-5-12 2T, (vdimm = 2.05v, recommended by manufacturer) its default settings.

i can take off the overclock and test it. my voltages are all stock. I have read reviews about my CPU and it is stable up to 3.1GHz on default voltage (1.35v) which is what I have it set to. My CPU cooler is an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro. It keeps the system within range. I have not seen it break 40C at full load. Yes, it is possible for me to run one GPU. I will try that after I take off my overclock.

• Corsair Employees
yes, i am overclocking. i am running a 12x cpu multiplier and a 250 cpu frequency; cpu is at 3.0GHz and ram is at 500mhz, with timings of 5-5-5-12 2T, (vdimm = 2.05v, recommended by manufacturer) its default settings.

i can take off the overclock and test it. my voltages are all stock. I have read reviews about my CPU and it is stable up to 3.1GHz on default voltage (1.35v) which is what I have it set to. My CPU cooler is an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro. It keeps the system within range. I have not seen it break 40C at full load. Yes, it is possible for me to run one GPU. I will try that after I take off my overclock.

Based on what you have posted here, this is not a power related problem. The VX-550 is plenty of power for your setup.

well then what do you think it is? the only component i know of that would cause the system to completely turn off would be either the power supply or the motherboard. i highly doubt its my motherboard. perhaps there is some sort of problem with the power management settings? maybe i should update my BIOS?

arghh....

maybe some kind of grounding problem?

ok this has to be related to the power supply some way or another...i was using my system a few moments ago..then it randomly shut down on me...after it shut off i heard a buzzing noise coming from my PC...i moved closer and it was coming directly from the power supply. it was a faint buzzing noise that lasted about 20 seconds and then disappeared. any idea what that is? i've never heard my power supply do that before

yes, this occured with stock clocks but SLI still installed. i am going to run over to the TigerDirect outstore in my area and pick up another PSU (a Corsair VX650W) and install it; if the shutdowns still occur, then I can prove that the PSU isnt the problem. Plus I can return the PSU if I need to as well. :laughing:

• Corsair Employees
yes, this occured with stock clocks but SLI still installed. i am going to run over to the TigerDirect outstore in my area and pick up another PSU (a Corsair VX650W) and install it; if the shutdowns still occur, then I can prove that the PSU isnt the problem. Plus I can return the PSU if I need to as well. :laughing:

Let us know your results!

i may hold off on that PSU until tomorrow. anyhow i tried something to attempt to alleviate the problem. i flipped the PSU the other way, so the fan is facing upwards (i have a bottom-mounted PSU bay in my case). perhaps the PSU fan was being blocked and it was shutting down due to overheating? (althought this doesnt make much sense because it would do it when idling in windows, i.e. not much power draw).

oh well. ill let you know how it goes. so far so good. if it shuts down again, ill go out either tomorrow or friday and get that vx650w.

ill keep you posted.

Archived