Corsair Community

Big performance drop for NTFS formatted Voyager 16G compare to FAT32

wkzvyx

I need to copy file which is exceed 4GB to my Flash Voyager 16G, thus I formatted it as NTFS. However, I get a very big performance drop when it is in NTFS format compare to previous it is formatted as FAT32.

The below are the steps that I have performed to do some tests.

FORMAT E: /FS:FAT32 /U

and the hdbench test result is:

Read 22059

Write 14465

RandomRead 21413

RandomWrite 2868

Then I created a batch file (.BAT) to record the time start & end for copying files to Voyager 16G and the result is:

Start 11:04:50.32 - End 11:12:05.23

( about 8 minutes for 1.2GB files copying )

I format it with the below 2 commands and then I run the hdbench test (at 100MB).

FORMAT E: /FS:NTFS /U

Read 21481

Write 6687

RandomRead 17198

RandomWrite 1822

Then I run the same batch file (.BAT) to record the time start & end for copying files and the result is:

Start 10:32:50.12 - End 10:50:57.39

( about 18 minutes for 1.2GB files copying )

Please advise me, whether NTFS has a big performance drop compare to FAT32 formatted Voyager 16G ?

My computer Specification:

DELL Latitude D820 Laptop with 2 GB memory

Intel CPU T2500 @ 2.00GHz

Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3

• 5 weeks later...
FORMAT E: /FS:FAT32 /U

Read 22059

Write 14465

RandomRead 21413

RandomWrite 2868

I can't comment on your NTFS rates, wkzvyx, but I can say that I am VERY IMPRESSED by your FAT32 "Write" and "RandomWrite" test results.

For my 16GB Flash Voyager (non-GT version), at 100MB, the HDBENCH 3.40 beta 6 test results, specifically the READ and RANDOMWRITE, were notably WORSE than yours at FAT32 (with 8192 block size) as follows:

Read 31801

Write 8444

RandomRead 31960

RandomWrite 357

Given your "Write" test result, 14465, is 6979 higher than my 16GB, over 71% faster, and your your "RandomWrite" test result, 2868, is 2511 higher than my 16GB, over 703% faster, I would gladly trade my 16GB dog for yours.

May I ask you a couple questions...

- when you formatted using /FS:FAT32 /U, did you use the default allocation unit size (block size) or specify another?

- is your 16GB Flash Voyager a non-GT version and if so, what is the model (e.g. CMFUSB2.0-16GB)?

- when did you buy your 16GB Flash Voyager?

Regarding default allocation unit size, refer to http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72440 for additional info, if necessary.

...I ask these questions because I know the GT version are faster, plus I have read that older non-GT versions are often faster. I bought mine November 2008 - too new, I am afraid, to be as fast as most 16GB Flash Voyagers.

Thanks,

T4USD

Please try and format the drive with the Format utility from the SD-CARD Organization.

WHAT? This software is dated to 5/21/2007 and specifically states, "Do not format recordable media other than SD/SDHC Memory Cards using SD formatting software."

First, please answer the following questions, RAM GUY:

1. Why format a Corsair 8GB Flash Voyager (non-GT version) USB drive with the format utility from the SD-CARD Organization?

2. Specify which "Format Option" settings:

- FORMAT TYPE = QUICK or FULL [Erase OFF] or FULL [Erase ON]

- FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT = OFF or ON

3. Explain what each SD-CARD Organization "Format Option" setting achieves. Specifically:

- type QUICK

- type FULL [Erase OFF]

- type FULL [Erase ON]

- size adjustment OFF

- size adjustment ON

Thanks.

T4USD

I understand you're still waiting on an official comment from Ram Guy, however since Corsair is closed on the weekends as it states at the top of the forum, he won't see this thread until tomorrow.

And you've just earned your self a 1 day ban for going around the forum filters for the second time in spite of the rules.

Archived