Corsair Community

overclocking dif parts

cliffie

Hi,

Im quite new to overclocking and would love some experianced help!

My questions:

1. How much is it "safe" to overclock the CPU? I have seen some go up to 3Ghz with the Q6600 using only fan-cooling, is that a "recommended" speed?

2. If i would like to overclock to that speed (or a speed u suggest), how should i start? What FSB should i set etc etc...

3. Will i need to upgrade the CPU-fan? In that case what can u recommend, (price don't really matter that much)?

4. To overclock the RAM, i only need to increase the voltage? How do i know when to stop! :bigeyes:

/The swede

I got a tip to change to TRUE. And so i have done, works just fine!

But i have some trouble with OC.

I start with increasing the FSB from the 1066 Mhz that it starts by to 1080 Mhz -> 1110 and so on. But the system gets unstable directly and restarts when i get asked if i want to start windows in safemode etc. So it gets past the POST (i think?).

I tried to increase the CPU V in bios, at the different FSB speeds. I have tried everything from 1.2 to 1.42 but it reboots still. Sometimes when it reboots the FSB settings returns to auto-settings on FSB etc. Seems almost like the bios resets itself, but not fully since some settings like date etc still remains intact.

Is there a setting that i should change or what? :confused:

Download CPU-z from

Download Core Temp

Download Prime95 for Quads from-->

Please post a screenshot of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs. Then post a screenshot of Core Temp. Finally, run Prime95 (Small FFT's) for 10 minutes and post a screenshot of Core Temp while Prime is still running. I need to see these values before helping you with an overclock.

here are the images you required :roll:

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/4456/cpuzmz5.th.jpg

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/152/prime95smallfft10minsstls8.th.jpg

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/4237/prime95smallfft10minsmc8.th.jpg

1. The strange thing now is, that from the BIOS it says my CPU is at 3.0Ghz after i raized the fsb to 1333, but when i get into windows it says im 2.4Ghz. Is that a bug?

2. And if i look at the CPU-Z memorytab it says my max bandwidth is 6400, but i have 8500 memory?!

3. And one more thing, it says my memory have a timing of 5 5 5 18, i would belive it should be 5 5 5 15...?!?!

I hope someone can help me out figuring out whats up :confused::(:

Firstly, overclocking a four DRAM slot population of the maximum capacity is not a good idea. Your on motherboard memory controller is already working at maximum capacity and I would increase the MCP/SPP +.2v to compensate for that heavy workload. You need to set the 8500(1066) to 6400(800) to deal with the four DRAM slot population. The reason for the drop in speed is that your CPU multiplier is dropped from 9 to 6 (6 X 333 ~= 2.4Ghz) when at at idle. When needed, the system will raise the multiplier to 9 for 9 X 333 ~= 3.0Ghz. I would look at the Thermaltake Ultra Xtreme 120 CPU Heatsink. You should be able to make 3.4Ghz or so with it.

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

Enter your BIOS. Load Setup Defaults. Save Setup Defaults. Set to these values:

Extreme Tweaker

CPU Level Up = Auto
AI Overclock Tuner = Manual
x Overclock Options = Disabled (Greyed Out)

FSB & Memory Config

CPU Level Up = Auto
FSB - Memory Clock Mode = Unlinked
FSB (QDR), MHz = 1333
MEM (DDR), MHz = 800

Spread Spectrum Control = All set to disabled
CPU Internal Thermal Control = Enabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal = Disabled
Enhanced C1 (C1E) = Disabled
Execute Disable Bit = Enabled
Virtualization Technology = Enabled
CPU Multiplier = 9 X
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Tech = Disabled
LDT Frequency = 5x

CPU Core 2 - Enabled
CPU Core 3 - Enabled
CPU Core 4 - Enabled

Memory Timing Setting

tCL: 4T
tRCD: 4T
tRP: 4T
tRAS: 12T
Command Per Clock = 2T
tRRD = Auto
tRC = Auto
tWR = Auto
tWTR = Auto
tREF = Auto
tRD = Auto
tRFC = 60T

Over Voltage

CPU Voltage = 1.35v
CPU PLL Voltage = 1.5v
CPU VTT Voltage = 1.25
Memory Voltage + 2.1v
NB Core Voltage = 1.45v
SB Core Voltage = 1.50v[/Code]

Run Memtest for two full passes, then (If Stable), enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs. Please post smaller screenshots and please edit the ones you have posted so they are smaller.

Ok i will do that ASAP.

I do have a question. You siad: WThe reason for the drop in speed is that your CPU multiplier is dropped from 9 to 6 (6 X 333 ~= 2.4Ghz) when at at idle."

But if u look at the first picture, there the speed have dropped to 1.6Ghz or something 6x266. Does it have many steps that it can drop, because i have never seen it at 3Ghz in cpu z.. even under load.

Ok i will do that ASAP.

I do have a question. You siad: WThe reason for the drop in speed is that your CPU multiplier is dropped from 9 to 6 (6 X 333 ~= 2.4Ghz) when at at idle."

But if u look at the first picture, there the speed have dropped to 1.6Ghz or something 6x266. Does it have many steps that it can drop, because i have never seen it at 3Ghz in cpu z.. even under load.

You have a 266Mhz stock CPU. 9 X 266 = 2.4Ghz and with Speed Step 6 X 266 = 1.596Ghz.

Now if you increase the FSB to 333Mhz, then you will get 9 X 333 ~=3.0Ghz and 6 X 333 ~= 2.4Ghz.

Set

Enhanced C1 (C1E) = Disabled

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Tech = Disabled

And you will not have the multiplier drop, but you will have a hotter running system.

I changed settings and volt to ur specification, it works ok into windows, it says 3.0 Ghz and it runs along. But after a while in windows i get a bluescreen where it says smt wrong with my hardware and i should contact support.

What should i do :s

Set your Northbridge to 1.50v and retest.

Download Real Temp from-->

Enter your BIOS. Load Setup Defaults. Save Setup Defaults. Set to these values:

To be certain of both CPU and Memory, use the Intel Linpack CPU/Memory test.

http://67.90.82.13/forums/showthread.php?t=197835

First post a screenshot of Real Temp while running Idle. Then, run Linpack for full memory (1) and use a 5 pass iteration. Run Real Temp and watch the temperatures. Let the Linpack program run for the full 5 passes. The output in the screen [ Residual (Norm)] will give you five sets of values. They should be identical for a stable CPU and DRAM.

Be sure to turn off your screensavers, display settings that turn the monitor off for this test. What are your highest temps (Real Temp) when running Linpack? Are the [ Residual (Norm)] values equal?

Please edit those pictures. Many people who come here are still on dial up.

I restested with NB 1.5v but the bluescreen kept coming, i tried it at 1.54v but no sucess. So i didnt get the time to do the linback.

What are ur suggestion for a next step, should i continue with trying the memtest iso? or up the NB even more?

I restested with NB 1.5v but the bluescreen kept coming, i tried it at 1.54v but no sucess. So i didnt get the time to do the linback.

What are ur suggestion for a next step, should i continue with trying the memtest iso? or up the NB even more?

Memtest first. Then, if you memtest fine, perform a fresh install of Windows and update. Then run linpack.

Archived