Corsair Community

constant crashes, BSODs & screen Flicker pls help

FuzzyRiley

A short background, just built my first computer researched the appropriate BIOS settings and are still having BSOD's, program crashes (games), and screen flickering. My CPU(9950 BE) is OC'd to 3.0 GHz through the Multi 15x and my HT is 200 10x. Ram is 8500 C5DF 8GB timings are FSB:DRAM 3:8, CL 5.0, tRCD 5, tRP 5, tRAS 15, tRC 22, CR 2T, DC Mode Ganged, NB Freq 2006.8 MHz and Volts 2.1. I am officially at a lose as to what to do to remedy these problems and will greatly appreciate any info that will point me in the right direction.

A short background, just built my first computer researched the appropriate BIOS settings and are still having BSOD's, program crashes (games), and screen flickering. My CPU(9950 BE) is OC'd to 3.0 GHz through the Multi 15x and my HT is 200 10x. Ram is 8500 C5DF 8GB timings are FSB:DRAM 3:8, CL 5.0, tRCD 5, tRP 5, tRAS 15, tRC 22, CR 2T, DC Mode Ganged, NB Freq 2006.8 MHz and Volts 2.1. I am officially at a lose as to what to do to remedy these problems and will greatly appreciate any info that will point me in the right direction.

OK let me just say I'm not a pro, I just also built my first computer, I experienced some of the same problems... I would look through at the post with Derek T and myself he has been very helpful to me... But If I were you I would bring the computer back to default settings and work on them individually. I don't know much about your system but each system has to be approached slowly and methodically, If you adjust many settings at once you will not know which setting is causing the instability... I start with The CPU, then the FSB, and finally DRAM...Then run Memtest 86. After you have Identified the specific setting were the computer is stable then start working on the next settings

Derek T could probably tell you just what to do, I don't know a lot about different brands I just troubleshoot to find the problem. because I don;t know the answers upfront... It is a learning process, I enjoy and I'm always out there looking to learn more...

Derek T has of links to special tests like

MEMTEST

LINPACK TEST

They both help to identify instability

Also it is a good idea to have CPUZ or SIW downloaded and running to watch temps and voltages...

Derek T I'm sorry if I went about this the wrong way. I just remember How I felt so thought I might be able to help or give him a place to start until you log on again, I'll look back Riley to see how your doing... Good Luck Follow his advice and you'll do fine

Thank you for the info. what makes this process so confusing is all the settings that the M3A79-T Deluxe mobo has I have never seen so many setting(possible erroneous settings). i have manually put my voltages in but they are within the specs of my hardware. the only voltage setting that I feel is set a bite high is my ram Volts but that too is well within EPP standards @ 2.1v. I do have CPUz but do not know how to post screen shots in a forum as this is the first forum I have used to try and solve a problem.

The only memory Corsair supports in a four DRAM slot population is their Quad kits. This does not mean they will not work, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work. If there are problems with the DRAM modules, they are still supported via lifetime warranty, but that is for physical defects ie. errors in a two stick kit mode. Be sure that you get the same version DRAM. Be careful here, because there can be the same model but different versions that will NOT play nice together. Matched Quad sets are highly binned modules for a four slot population. The Dual sets are tested as a kit, not a Quad.

So, in summation, it should work, but you are advised to drop the bandwidth to 800Mhz and raise the given voltages below.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

There is a limitation of the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller or On CPU (AMD, Intel i7) and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This limitation is across the board with both AMD and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues can arise in the longer term even though you have shorter term stability. The issues seldom damage the DRAM unless you raise the DRAM voltage too high. They damage the on CPU (AMD) memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population.

Download Memtest86+ V2.10 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Enter your BIOS. Load Setup Defaults. Save Setup Defaults. Set to these values:

Jumperfree Configuration

AI Overclocking: Manual

FSB Frequency = 200 
PCI-E Frequency = 100
Processor Frequency Multiplier = x13.0 2600Mhz
Processor Voltage = Auto
Processor NB-Voltage = 1.325v
CPU VDDA Voltage = Auto
CPU-NB HT Link = 2.0Ghz
DDR Voltage = 2.1v
NorthBridge Voltage = Manual
HyperTransport Voltage = 1.30v
Core/PCI-e Voltage = Auto
NB PCIe PLL = Auto
SouthBridge Voltage = Auto
Auto Xpress = Disabled
CPU Tweak = Enabled

Memory Configuration

Bank Interleaving = Auto
Channel Interleaving = Auto
MemClk Tristate C3/ATLVID = Disabled
Memory Hole Remapping = Enabled 
Unganged Mode Support = Disabled
Power Down Enabled = Disabled
Read Delay = Auto
DCQ Bypass  Maximum = Auto

Dram Timings Configuration

Memory Clock Mode = Manual
Memclock Value = 800 Mhz
2T Mode = Enabled
DRAM Timing Mode = Both
CAS Latency (CL) = 5 CLK
TCWL = Auto
TRCD: 5 CLK
TRP: 5 CLK
TRAS: 15 CLK
TRC: 22 CLK
All other Set to Auto

Restart and boot to the Memtest CD allowing for two full passes.

Results?

Also, please peruse this thread for some valuable information regarding your mainboard.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201154

• Corsair Employees

Try resetting your BIOS and test each pair of modules for stability.

If you still have issues, disable Legacy USB Support, clear the BIOS again, manually set the RAM timings and voltage, and test each individual module for 3-5 passes each.

Well it has been 2 days of constant testing with every conceivable configuration and one RAM Module consistently fails in MEMtest leading me to believe that it is defective. ALL other Modules in any configuration pass with no errors but as soon as the said bad module is added to the test there are errors. My next move is (maybe I am jumping the gun) RMA?

• Corsair Employees
Well it has been 2 days of constant testing with every conceivable configuration and one RAM Module consistently fails in MEMtest leading me to believe that it is defective. ALL other Modules in any configuration pass with no errors but as soon as the said bad module is added to the test there are errors. My next move is (maybe I am jumping the gun) RMA?

Just so I am clear, did you test all 4 modules individually?

Yes, I started by testing all 4 Modules together, then each one separately, then tested 2 modules at a time in in the A slots and then the B slots, after that i tested the three modules that passed. The only errors I received was when I introduced the failing module into the tests. I made sure to run each test 5 times to ensure it wasn't erroneous readings.

Yes, I started by testing all 4 Modules together, then each one separately, then tested 2 modules at a time in in the A slots and then the B slots, after that i tested the three modules that passed. The only errors I received was when I introduced the failing module into the tests. I made sure to run each test 5 times to ensure it wasn't erroneous readings.

I would look to RMA of the set with the bad module.

• Corsair Employees

Please RMA the pair with the bad module. You can use the TSX Express link in my signature below to begin your RMA.

Archived