Corsair Community

problem

intelified

im having the same problem using the same mb (msi x48 platinum) but im using TW3X4G1333C9DHX G.

i am currently using only one mem module in slot 1 and am not having any issues. but when i put the 2nd module in i get random errors and windows freezes at randoms times.

• 2 weeks later...

all the bios settings are set to default. and have the latest bios installed.

I should also mention that all the hardware listed (except the ddr3 ram) is known good to work in my other box which has an asus p5kpl M.b. that is using corsair 4gig kit xms2 ddr2. works perfectly.

I rma'd the msi m.b. thinking that this was the problem. its not.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Enter your BIOS. Load Setup Defaults. Save Setup Defaults. Set to these values:

Advanced BIOS Features

Cell Menu

DOT Control = Disabled
Intel EIST = Enabled
Adjust CPU FSB Frequency = 333MHz (1333Mhz QDR)
Adjust CPU Ratio = 10

Advanced DRAM Configuration = Manual
Memory Clock = 1333
Memory Timings = Manual
Configure DRAM Timing by SPD = Disabled 
DRAM CAS# Latency (tCL) = 9
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) = 9
DRAM RAS# Precharge (tRP) = 9
DRAM RAS# Active to Precharge (tRAS) = 24
DRAM tRFC = Auto
DRAM tWR: Auto
DRAM tWTR = Auto
DRAM tRRD = Auto
DRAM tRTP = Auto
FSB/Memory Ratio = 1:1
Adjust PCI-e Frequency = 100Mhz
Adjust PCI Frequency = 33Mhz
Auto Disable DIMM/PCI Frequency = Enabled
CPU Voltage = Auto
Spread Spectrum = Enabled
Memory Voltage = 1.7v 
NB Voltage = Auto
SB Voltage = Auto
FSB VTT Voltage = Auto

Shut the system down. Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. If stable, shut the system down and remove the first stick and insert the second stick into the third slot. Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. Finally, if stable, insert one stick in slot 1 and one in slot 3 and retest. If stable, enter Windows and post a screenshot of CPU-z CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

bios default;

all tests pass with 1 module in. tested both modules seperately in same slots and works fine, but when used in single or double channel mode i get lots of errors. using ubcd memtest86 both v1.65 & v3.2, errors on test 7.

loading bios settings you suggested; the system would not reboot.

here is default minus the cpu overclock.

2052533131_cpu-zmem.jpg.321c79060e4c25be63c4608143f700c0.jpg

1292213980_cpu-zcpu.jpg.27adb385733b729abf749e997c976f00.jpg

2089903206_cpu-zspd.jpg.4964fe8644df60b96a1f6204c612944c.jpg

memtest86 v2.11 the one derekt sent.

not as many errors as before with the older tests but failed test 5 and 6 on passes 2 and 3 with both modules installed in both single and dual channel.

Are you saying you have errors on both modules when tested alone? Only one stick in the system at a time?

• Corsair Employees
bios default;

all tests pass with 1 module in. tested both modules seperately in same slots and works fine, but when used in single or double channel mode i get lots of errors. using ubcd memtest86 both v1.65 & v3.2, errors on test 7.

This indicates to me that you may have a problem with the motherboard, specifically the memory controller or, possibly the CPU. Can you test the modules in another known working system?

ive had this mb rma'd twice and finally they replaced it on the third time around. what are the chances that the mb is the cause again?

I know the cpu works fine. ive tested the crap out of it on a different box with asus mb. Unfortunately i dont have another box here with ddr3 capabilities and i dont want to pay a competing repair shop $25 to test the ram. i guess i'll try and find a friend with a box that has ddr3.

Archived