Corsair Community

Likely bad stick TWINX2048-3200C2PT G

falsinator

First of all, this is my third set of this RAM. The first worked with this computer for about 2.5 years since from the time I built it. A few months ago one of the modules failed and I got the set replaced. The replacement parts immediately failed in the same way. One stick would not POST while the other was just fine. I sent for a replacement yet again and they arrived less than a month ago. I noticed that one of the modules had a crooked heatsink but I hoped that would not be an issue. I put the modules in and the computer failed to POST. I about flipped out. Then I had the idea that the crooked heatsink might have been interfering with proper seating of the module. I applied more pressure to it and it seemed to be all the way in. I booted and everything went fine. I ran memtest and there were no problems. The computer seemed to run fine for a few weeks.

Well, just this morning I think I had that crooked heatsink RAM module die on me. First, my computer froze up and required a hard reset. I figured there might be a problem but I should try again. After about a minute into the next browsing experience the computer froze again. I figured that the RAM was the problem and rebooted with the intention of adjusting the BIOS settings but the computer would not post. I once again got the dreaded RAM beep error. Thinking that the heatsink may be in the way again, I tried to wiggle the module, took it out and replaced it, changed slots with the other module, and tried to straighten out the heatsink with my hands. I still could not get the computer to POST if that module was inserted, even though I did straighten out the heatsink a little.

Since this is the third set of RAM I have had fail on this system I am under the impression that I may have some other problem. In fact, I suspected the motherboard after the second failure. One main reason for this suspicion was that the module in slot three (primary slot) of my ASUS A8N-SLI Premium was the one to fail both times. Because of this, I decided to place the crooked heatsink module of my third set in slot one and the normal looking one in slot three. Though I hoped that there would be no problems, I figured that if one of the modules failed it would be the one that seemed to be constructed shoddily. If the normal looking one failed while in slot three I would be almost certain that my motherboard was the problem. However if the shoddy one failed while in slot one then I would be consider that it was a bad module. Since the shoddily constructed one failed I am kind of unsure as to what my problem is. I am sure that the module no longer works but I don’t know what caused it.

Other things you might need to know:

I run the RAM at the specified 2.75 volts.

The RAM timings are 2.5-3-3-8.

The RAM is overclocked to a speed of 215 MHz which equates to 430 MHz for DDR.

At these settings both modules passed memtest.

The computer is currently working fine with only the good looking module inserted in slot three at the previously mentioned settings.

Please help me.

This is my only DDR compatible system, so I cannot test the RAM on another motherboard at this time.

I am curious as to how exactly a motherboard could fry the memory if the voltage was set within spec...Unless it is a faulty PSU at fault. Is that even possible? Could the power supply damage the RAM while seeming to cause no harm to anything else? Later I might check the voltage levels that the sensors report just in case.

• Corsair Employees
This is my only DDR compatible system, so I cannot test the RAM on another motherboard at this time.

I am curious as to how exactly a motherboard could fry the memory if the voltage was set within spec...Unless it is a faulty PSU at fault. Is that even possible? Could the power supply damage the RAM while seeming to cause no harm to anything else? Later I might check the voltage levels that the sensors report just in case.

It is not likely that the PSU could directly damage the memory. All voltage regulation for the system is managed by the MOBO. So, if you have a faulty memory slot or component failing it could supply an improper voltage to a memory slot.

OK that makes sense. I checked the voltages anyway and they were an acceptable 3.28, 4.89, and 11.84-11.90. Granted I got these numbers from the motherboard's readings in the BIOS, so if the board is faulty then these readings may be false. Anyway, I will assume for now that the PSU is fine.

Turning the attention to the MOBO, I was wondering why the issue does not seem to be contained to just one of the RAM slots? After all, the first two failed sticks were in one slot when they failed while the third failed stick was in the other slot when it failed. Furthermore the sticks that continued to work in those three sets seemed not to be affected no matter which slot they occupied. Perhaps this is simply due to my minimal knowledge of the workings of a MOBO, but I would have thought that the MOBO should have either fried both sticks per set, or only fried whichever stick was in the same specific slot each time. It just appears to be so inconsistent.

If I had purchased this from a walk-in store I would indeed go there for a check. Instead, I think I am going to pursue this issue further with the MOBO manufacturer, ASUS, since the reseller was Newegg and I bought this board almost 3 years ago. I believe Newegg covers items for 1 year at most. The board is still under warranty from ASUS. I will keep this thread updated with any significant information.

• 1 month later...
Alright, it has been a while but I have finally got around to getting some things done. First of all, I have tested my PSU on another MB that I purchased for a new build and it seemed fine. Then I received my RMA replacement MB from from ASUS. I rebuilt the old system using this board and inserted the RAM. Still only one of the sticks would work. The other one would not work no matter what I tried. It seems that the RAM is indeed malfunctioning and I will need to replace it.

Archived