Corsair Community

Cannot overclock TWIN2X4096-6400C5 on msi p35 platinum combo board

arpan

HI everyone,

well, i've got these modules[ TWIN2X4096-6400C5 (version 1.1) ], and i have tried everything thats possible to overclock them on my MSI p35 PLATINUM COMBO board, but the maximum i can overclock is from 800mhz to 812mhz. the modules run perfectly at 800Mhz. Can someone help me out?

That's a hybrid board and they seldom clock memory very well because they have to have both DDR2 and DDR3 tables in the BIOS so the BIOS's are not very loosely set.

Also, there has been a transition to overclocking DRAM. It is now at the DDR3 level. Just as when DDR2 first came out, the high end overclocking DDR DRAM was dropped, DDR2 overclocking DRAM is finished as well. 2GB modules do not overclock all that well, usually gaining ~1100Mhz. Your hybrid board is probably holding you back from even that clocking.

Or, you could be one of the unlucky ones who purchased a set that just will not overclock well. This happens, it is the luck of the draw. Just as some very few will be able to make 1200Mhz on the PSC 1066 modules, some do not make any real headroom at all. I would personally say that your board is holding you back. test the DRAM on a good board, such as a P5K and see where it takes you. I bet you go higher.

@ derekt

Really appreciated for ur immediate reply!!!

So to gain more performance i need to change the motherboard as it will anyway not overclock the ram, be it a ddr2 or a ddr3. I wish i had googled these issues before i got the motherboard...:[pouts:

Now i'll hav to save up some money to get a new board !!

You should be able to overclock your CPU though and that is the major component to a fast system anyway.

Advanced BIOS Features

Cell Menu

DOT Control = Disabled
Intel EIST = Enabled
Adjust CPU FSB Frequency = 400MHz (1600Mhz QDR)

Advanced DRAM Configuration = Manual
Memory Clock = 800
Memory Timings = Manual
DRAM CAS# Latency (tCL) = 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) = 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge (tRP) = 5
DRAM RAS# Active to Precharge (tRAS) = 15
DRAM tRFC = Auto
DRAM tWR: Auto
DRAM tWTR = Auto
DRAM tRRD = Auto
DRAM tRTP = Auto
FSB/Memory Ratio = Auto
Adjust PCI-e Frequency = 100Mhz
Auto Disable DIMM/PCI Frequency = Enabled
CPU Voltage = Auto
Spread Spectrum = Disabled
Memory Voltage = 1.7v 
NB Voltage = Auto
SB Voltage = Auto
FSB VTT Voltage = Auto

This will give you a 3.6Ghz CPU speed and 800Mhz on the DRAM. Let me be clear here. The difference between 800Mhz and 1000Mhz is not very great on such a system because the DRAM is running faster than the CPU anyway. The difference would be ~3 -5% and a small CPU overclock would be more important anyway. I would just clock up the CPU and gain the performance that way rather than move to a new board. That's not a bad board and I would move to the CPU overclock. That's the lowest end of DDR2 and it may not clock well at any rate. Often hybrid DRAM boards do not clock DRAM well, but it also may be that that DRAM will not clock up well anyway.

thanks for the information ,,,it really helped!!

Well i just managed to Overclock the cpu to 3.8 Ghz and ram to 846 mhz. All Running stable!

I have listed my SETTINGS below.

Are the ram settings fine or should revert them to 5-5-5-18 from 6-6-6-12 .

Also i had to set DRAM trfc as 52 as it does not have an auto option.

And cant set the ram to 1.7 as the minimum i have to set is 1.8v ,,i have left it on auto,,works fine on auto anyway.

SETTINGS

Advanced BIOS Features

Cell Menu

cpu freq=3806

DOT Control = Disabled

Intel EIST = Enabled

Adjust CPU FSB Frequency = 423MHz

Advanced DRAM Configuration = Manual

Memory Clock = 846

Memory Timings = Manual

DRAM CAS# Latency (tCL) = 6

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) = 6