Corsair Community

what settings q9650 and dominator 2x2 1800

vgbaron

Received my new Dominator 2x2 ram and installed in Rampage Extreme mobo with q9650 running 450x9. With different brand ram system has been stable but I was overclocking 1600 ram to 1800. Figured the Corsair ram rated 1800 would run better.

INstalled and set 8-8-8-24 2T PL7 ram volts 1.8 - all other ram related settings at auto.

BSOD - changed PL to 8 - BSOD - increased volts to 1.83 - BSOD

Dropped fsb to 400x9 and changed nothing ese - booted fine but Everest bench shows 59.6 latency.

What would be recommended settings for a 450x9 FSB?

what puzzles me is that the ram is rated 1800 8-8-8-24 and that is the setting I used but get BSOD. WHy would they sell 1800 that won't run 1800? Obviously I don 't understand ram timings so some help will be appreciated.

Have you updated to the latest 1001 BIOS? This fixed a lot of high end DRAM issues for me. This board IS as touchy a board as I have ever used.

Here's a 69 page post on this motherboard. Study it and the issues people are having and the fixes they have found.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196683&highlight=rampage+extreme

If you still want to blame the DRAM, then I advise you to return it and purchase something else.

WHy would they sell 1800 that won't run 1800?

I read the above and thought you were asking why Corsair sells 1800Mhz DRAM that will not run 1800Mhz.

Corsair tests by both IC level and module level. They do not sell 1800Mhz DRAM that will not run 1800Mhz. However, on new boards, the BIOS's are not yet mature and it takes time for the BIOS engineers to optimize for memory. I advise you to update to the newest BIOS. The earlier BIOS's were quite hard on memory. Even now, it's not an easy thing as you will find in that link. Look at all the people running with 2 X 1024 and not 2 X 2048. Look at all the people with Quad Core CPU's complaining.

ok - can understand your remark. Damn written word issues! :) My question was rhetorical - why would they sell 1800 that doesn't run 1800? ( of course,they wouldn't) SO obviously I don't understand something. :)

figured out my problem - had board set up for other ram at 1800 and figured the settings wouldn't apply to Corsair so reset them except for 8-8-8-24-2t and got a BSOD.

Just set everything up the way I had it before and have been running memtest86 for 3 hours with NO errors. I know the cpu is stable at that clock so now I'll try a blend test and see how things work together.

I will update the BIOS too.

Sorry about the misunderstanding - even if I were unhappy with the product, I'm not the type to go t their own forum and insult them. I jut throw it away, buy another and if anyone ever asks I give my honest opinion.

Bought the Corsair because it was highly recommended - knew the product was fine - stupid user problem.

Thanx and have a great day!

ok - can understand your remark. Damn written word issues! :) My question was rhetorical - why would they sell 1800 that doesn't run 1800? ( of course,they wouldn't) SO obviously I don't understand something. :)

That makes sense. When I read it in that context, your post makes more sense. English is not my birth language and I still get some problems with context. So please accept my apology.

kI will update the BIOS too.

Keep in mind that you need to document your settings. When you update the BIOS be sure to load setup defaults, save setup defaults and then insert your custom settings and then save the profile. It's not a good idea to use a previous BIOS's profile.

Sorry about the misunderstanding - even if I were unhappy with the product, I'm not the type to go t their own forum and insult them. I jut throw it away, buy another and if anyone ever asks I give my honest opinion.

Bought the Corsair because it was highly recommended - knew the product was fine - stupid user problem.

My error for being a bit too touchy when I was not sure of your statement. I was confused a bit because it seemed as though you were blaming the DRAM in one sentence and then not in another. Now I see that you were not blaming it in either. Please accept my apology as well. Keep in mind that I am a simple member like you, and I make more than my share of contextual errors. :eek: :bigeyes:

That makes sense. When I read it in that context, your post makes more sense. English is not my birth language and I still get some problems with context. So please accept my apology.

Thought that might be the case. The subtleties of the English language can be confusing. My ex-wife was from Germany and we had some really funny conversations. :)

Keep in mind that you need to document your settings. When you update the BIOS be sure to load setup defaults, save setup defaults and then insert your custom settings and then save the profile. It's not a good idea to use a previous BIOS's profile.

Currently they've pulled the 1001 BIOS from the ASUS forum and seems ike 0901 has some issues also.

My error for being a bit too touchy when I was not sure of your statement. I was confused a bit because it seemed as though you were blaming the DRAM in one sentence and then not in another. Now I see that you were not blaming it in either. Please accept my apology as well. Keep in mind that I am a simple member like you, and I make more than my share of contextual errors. :eek: :bigeyes:

LOL! No problem, Apology accepted

I've attached memset and Everest reports of my stable clock.

cachememC8.jpg.aa10199cb53ad576e8095335af9c813d.jpg

MemSetc8.jpg.f536ba4fb58b409688a9c95fcb448253.jpg

ok several questions :)

1st - how did you get the uploaded images to display?

Between the two, (yours & mine) - which is more important to overall performance - the 1800 vs 1600 or 48 vs 44 latency?

Using the Q9650 with the Rampage Extreme board, I cannot change the multiplier. With the FSB set at 450 and exploring the strap settings, other than the 1800 setting only other options down are around 1540 - 1560.

Would it make sense for me to try to match your settings using that or should I stay with what I have?

Thanx ( and yes I still love Corsair) :D: sorry couldn't resist

Vic

Between the two, (yours & mine) - which is more important to overall performance - the 1800 vs 1600 or 48 vs 44 latency?

The lower the latency, the snappier the system. The faster the bandwidth Read is number one as your system performs reads more than any other procedure. Faster reads and lower latency is what you are looking for and not so much the pure bandwidth speed.

Using the Q9650 with the Rampage Extreme board, I cannot change the multiplier. With the FSB set at 450 and exploring the strap settings, other than the 1800 setting only other options down are around 1540 - 1560.

Would it make sense for me to try to match your settings using that or should I stay with what I have?

I would stay where you are. I was not comparing our two. I was just showing what I have found with 1600C7 and an E8500. You've got different DRAM and CPU and you have found a good spot. I would, work on the DRAM tightening at 1800Mhz. See if you can make 8-7-7-18 with 1.9v. See if you can set Performance level to 7. See if you can set the transaction booster to "Light". Not all at once. Try them singly and see what goes on. Tweak away.

OK, I follow you now. Since I'm already at PL7 and 1T I'll try the other settings. Now, the rated voltage is 1.8 - IIRC I've seen that 2.0 is still safe - is that about it for my RAM?

Just to show how much I don't undetrstand about ram timings - currently at 8-8-8-24 - I am assuming that the settings are individual so my first tweak might be 8-7-8-24, then 8-7-7-24, then 8-7-7-18, etc. OR would changing to 8-7-7-18 be a single tweak?

Obviously I can try it both ways and see what happens but I'm trying to understand the concept a bit better.

I did read the info that RAMGuy posted about latency, CAS, RAS etc and that is giving me a better handle on what I'm trying to do.

Thanx,

Vic

Just to show how much I don't undetrstand about ram timings - currently at 8-8-8-24 - I am assuming that the settings are individual so my first tweak might be 8-7-8-24, then 8-7-7-24, then 8-7-7-18, etc.

You do understand as that is correct. You might end up with 8-7-6-20. Use both Memtest and Linpack. Memtest a full 2 passes. Then enter windows and run linpack. Be certain that you have run Linpack and that your CPU is proven stable before you do the DRAM testing because you can pass memtest and fail Linpack on DRAM and with a stable CPU, but if your CPU is not Linpack stable, then you will have another variable to your overclock that will hold you back from achieving DRAM stability. You can not damage your DRAM with testing of timings. Voltage will damage the DRAM. I personally do not go higher than 1.9v and find 1.84 on my Micron 1600C7 is the sweet spot. Higher does not accomplish anything.

http://67.90.82.13/forums/showthread.php?t=197835

Run Linpack for full memory (1) and use a 5 pass iteration. Let the Linpack program run for the full 5 iterations. The output in the screen will give you five sets of values for residual(norm). They should be identical for a stable CPU and DRAM.

Set your DRAM low and test with Linpack to ensure CPU stabilty. Then move on to the DRAM timing testing.

Archived