Corsair Community

Tw3x4g1600c9dhx + qx6850 + maximus extreme

robbowigster

hi all , after putting various components together for a watercooled build, i really wanted some compatibility feedback on the 3 items in the title of the post. i had quite a lot of doubt on this mobo after looking at al the posts on the makers site, there was a heck of a lot of memory issues etc etc...so things have slowed downa little with this project till im a little surer of things.

im sure i,ll be having to update to the latest bios on the board, this then allows use of the CPU, now...the thing im having doubts with is the memory..ive just looked through the memory, thats ok with mobo after using memory tool in the corsair site, i have the twin pack 2 x TW3X4G1600C9DHX 2gb modules.

now this is what is making me ask questions , the CPU has a FSB: 1333MHz...and am sure ive read some place over last wk or so while ive been having my doubts....that this CPU work better and is suited to a memory with 1333mhz....so with the type i have 1600mhz...will i be ok with this that i have already...its some of the techy stuff that mixes me up a bit....hmmm.

ok now down to basic info. i have with the build im on with upgradeability, at the moment i only want to run xp on this new build,this is why i only got the 4gb total has xp wont see more...then down the line no doubt will use vista..probly 64bit....this will then allow me to maybe up it to 6gb or 8gb max memory, i will not be overclocking memory at all..maybe the cpu...just want a stable system that performs, video editing etc and a bit of mild gamin...hope this post hasnt gone on too long for a 1st timer.

if any more answers from me are need...please ask.

thankyou.....regards....neil

This CPU will work at stock with a 1333MHz FSB. So, you need to overclock the CPU to 400Mhz FSB to attain the 1600Mhz of the DRAM. I would go with the 1333C9 on a non overclocked system such as yours.

You should be fine with 1600Mhz downclocked to 1333Mhz.

Regarding overclocking the CPU. You need to concurrently raise both CPU and DRAM. Hence the need for higher speed DRAM. You don't buy 1600Mhz DRAM to run at 1600Mhz. You buy 1600Mhz DRAM so that you can overclock the CPU and still find stability in the concurrently raised DRAM speed.

hi derek , thanks for getting back...gt stuff.

now let hope i got this right...if i change the cpu fsb setting to 400mhz it will run ok with this memory ? so what happens is i bring the cpu up to speed so to speak to better match the memory...just been doing some reading re this subject and am a bit wiser...is this what you mean ? so with this mem type i have...i would have to overclock the cpu anyway....do i have this right.

I would go with the 1333C9 on a non overclocked system such as yours.

are you saying use the above 1333C9 instead of the 1600C9 to save me from overclocking....im stuck with the 1600 at the moment as i have that already.

You should be fine with 1600Mhz downclocked to 1333Mhz

am i guessing right on this that i can change bios setting for memory to run at 1333mhz .... coz if thats not what you mean i am confused lol.

i was having a nosey around today and came across a review and one guy had the same items im talking about...this is the bits i picked out from his review......>>>>>

Pros: Great stable board. Its Expensive but very very good or say the best board. The external CLR CMOS button is great. Does everything you would expect in a top of the line motherboard. I have been using this board almost more than month no hangs no crashs nuthing it just works great. I use INTEL Core 2 Duo QX6850 3.00GHZ FSB1333MHz processor and CORSAIR TW3X4G1600C9DHX 4GB PC3-12800 total 8GB of Memory. I never Overclocked bec i dont have to bec its already too fast. This board will do anything you want. One OF the best board i have.

by the looks of it he,s running 64bit but the good thing is now i know things are looking good....im sure after i get your reply im goin to have more questions derek....thanks for your patience...so before more of those...have i got it correct with what you say.....thanks again.....neil

hi derek , thanks for getting back...gt stuff.

now let hope i got this right...if i change the cpu fsb setting to 400mhz it will run ok with this memory ? so what happens is i bring the cpu up to speed so to speak to better match the memory...just been doing some reading re this subject and am a bit wiser...is this what you mean ? so with this mem type i have...i would have to overclock the cpu anyway....do i have this right.

Yes

are you saying use the above 1333C9 instead of the 1600C9 to save me from overclocking....im stuck with the 1600 at the moment as i have that already.

Then just set to 1333Mhz and you will be fine. :D:

hi again derek, gt stuff...ok ive got my head around that now...ive been havin a good nosey round the bios in my max formula today, something i dont do that often...had to change some options to manual to see the option for settin the cpu and mem....all though some of the figure wernt the same as you said to use....A LOT MORE CONFIDENT NOW.

is ther anything else i need to look at...bios settings etc.

cheers......neil

Download Memtest86+ V2.10 from--->

Download CPU-z from

Enter your BIOS and set to these values:

Extreme Tweaker 

Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual 

CPU Multiplier = 9
FSB = 333
FSB Strap to NB = 333
PCIE = 100

DRAM = DDR3-1333
Command Rate = 2T
Primary Timings =  9 - 9 - 9 - 24
Secondary = 5 - 66 - 9 - 6
Set other Advanced Timings to Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Disabled
DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Disabled
AI Clock Twister  = Auto
AI Skew for Channel A = Auto
AI Skew for Channel B = Auto
AI Transaction Booster = Auto

Voltages

DRAM = 1.7v

Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes.

Results?

hi derek , thankyou , thankyou so much.....that just about cleared this up for me..me thinks. i now know the things i have to do on this new build when i start it after xmas , before i even install windows....be it 32/64 bit, the memery questions where the 1s i really wasnt sure about, so maybe with having the setting issues with the memory + all the other things that will be going on that i will have to be looking at...your help will put a major thing out of the way for me. i like to deal with , and find the answers before i get the problems while im doing stuff like this.....gt stuff......thankyou...and will pick this post up after im up and running to let all know how its went.....regards and thankyou...neil.

derek as an after thought, i think over last few days i may have seen post re issues regarding setting up raid options on this extreme board, is ther likely to be issues along the way ? my plan upon install is 1st job to update to latest bios so i can use qx6850. then see to settings for memory and raid etc...is ther an issue with being able to set up raid0 on this board...if ther is could you point me to the link please.....thanks again....neil

There is no issue that I can see with Intel Matrix RAID and that board. I have set it up with no issues before. If you are installing VISTA, then the RAID driver will install transparently. If you are installing with Windows XP, then you need to create a RAID driver to install and you will need a floppy setup for this installation.

Be sure to create an image of the RAID drive to forestall any issues and create fault tolerance.

Archived