Corsair Community

Mixing TR3X6G1600C8D and TR3X3G1866C9DF

sunnyd

Hi,

I already have 6Gb of TR3X6G1600C8D (with i7 920 and Rampage II extreme) and was wondering if I can add 3 more GB by adding TR3X3G1866C9DF to it. Is there any compatibility issues?

Thanks

I would go with the same modules you already have and be certain to purchase the same version. The version numbers will be on your modules. Mixing and matching DRAM can often work but it is not supported which means you have no RMA recourse if you purchase different models or versions and they end up not working together.

So, it's a "You Pays Your Money, And You Takes Your Chances".

• Corsair Employees
Hi,

I already have 6Gb of TR3X6G1600C8D (with i7 920 and Rampage II extreme) and was wondering if I can add 3 more GB by adding TR3X3G1866C9DF to it. Is there any compatibility issues?

Thanks

These modules use different ICs and are also rated for different speeds. I would not suggest mixing them.

• Corsair Employees
Different size ICs. Similar issue.

Actually, in this case at this time it is the same ICs. However, mixing densities is not a tested configuration. This is not to say that it won't work and it probably will work. However, we cannot guarantee stability in this case.

Also, check your manual on the Memory Configurations page. If you install the 1GB modules mixed with the 2GB modules, each memory channel will be mapped to operate with ONLY 1GB per channel in triple channel operation. The remaining memory will be single channel.

The bottom line is, mixing memory is not advised.

Archived