Corsair Community

yet another.. new XMS512-3200C2 added and system won't boot

MrFlibbles

Hi There, I recently purchased a second XMS512-3200C2 for my system which has been running a single XMS512-3200C2 for a year now. Adding the second stick in results in the system not even posting. Running only the new stick works fine. I've also run sticks in DDR slots 1/3 and 1/2 which also doesn't work. I read alot on these forums about relaxing memory timings when adding a second stick of ram and I've done this to no avail. MSI KT4 Ultra (latest BIOS 1.4) AMD XP 2800+ (333 FSB) XMS512-3200C2PT (version 1.1 - orginal stick) XMS512-3200C2PT (version 3.1 - new stick) [B]From BIOS "DRAM timing control" page:[/B] Current host clock: 166MHz Config SDRAM timing by: USER SDRAM freq: AUTO (boots as 333 MHz in synch with CPU) SDRAM CAS# latency: 2 row precharge time: 3T RAS pulse width: AUTO RAS to CAS delay: 3T Bank interleave: AUTO DDR DQS input delay: AUTO SDRAM burst length: 4QW SDRAM 1T command: ENABLED (also tried disabled) Fast command: NORMAL Fast R-2-R turnaround: DISABLED DDR voltage: 2.7V. I know not all of these are not normally changed to fix ram problems but I've included them just in case. Hoping someone can help me out :sigh!: Is the versions of the sticks causing problems or am I missing something else? Thanks in advance.

I'd run [url=www.memtest86.com]Memtest86[/url] on each module first, just to double check. 2 or 3 passes is sufficient. However, due to IC production, the new 3.x version is only rated to CAS 2.5 on AMD boards, CAS 2 on Intel boards. Try setting your CAS Latency at 2.5 instead of 2. You can also increase the voltage, but don't go over 2.8 volts. PLUR CK

Thanks for your reply CK, I'm away from my machine atm but will do as you suggest when I get back to it. The only comment I have is that if the 3.x version can only run CAS 2.5 on AMD boards, then why did it boot and run fine using only the new version 3.x stick at CAS 2.0?

That's one of those quirks of memory; you got lucky. Since no module is ever made exactly like any other, you will always find some that run faster than others. However, with these two modules, you'll probably need to run CAS 2.5 to get them to run together anyways. PLUR CK

OK, I tried both modules at CAS 2.5 but the system still did not boot - no post, in fact no video input at all. Ran 2 passes of memtest86 on the original v1.1 module and I got 63 errors on test 5 on each pass (from 505.7MB and up). The v3.1 module passed all default tests. This is the first indication I've had that there is a fault so I'm assuming that this is my problem? Ramguy to the rescue? :D Thanks in advance.

I'm having the EXACT same problem. When I first started reading your post, I thought that maybe I submitted my question and forgot that I had done it :biggrin: So, do you really think that the first module is bad? You said it always worked fine on its own, just not combined with the new memory. I haven't tried changing the latency on mine yet. I've never done that before so I have to figure out how to change this setting to see if it helps. I guess I should also run memtest on both sticks, but I haven't done this before either. Seems unlikely that we both have bad memory when they've been working fine on their own. Sure seems like it's a compatibility problem between the two different versions. I don't think NewEgg will take the older module back at this point because it's been about 90 days. Just wondering how you resolved this.

the problem is that the two module are different versions. since you bought the first one a year ago, the two are diffinitely different versions.i have the same problem. only way to solve it is get another of the new stick and throw out the old stick

If it's just the different versions that is causing the problem that's pretty poor :[pouts: I realise that ICs on memory modules are changed for various reasons but to me it seems logical that you should be able to upgrade your memory by buying the same make/model module. It was not cost effective to buy 1Gb ram when I first built this machine and upgrading later was always my plan :sigh!: Smitham - I did have a few problems with my machine running the v1.1 memory module but these were very few and far between and only happening in a MMORP game that I play. As it happened very rarely I never found the source of the glitch but it may well have been the bad memory addresses above 505Mb on the 512Mb stick. I'm hoping that someone who actually knows what the test results I got mean can feed me some more info. As for running memtest86 it couldn't be easier. Download it from [URL]http://www.memtest86.com/[/URL], unzip it and run the install.bat which will create a bootable floppy for you. Boot from the floppy and the default tests start immediately.

Thanks a lot for the info. There was another similar thread in which the RAM Guy recommended exchanging the CMX512-3200C2 v3.1 for CMX512-3200LL because it uses a Winbond IC like the older v1.1 C2. The new v3.1 C2 uses an Infineon IC. See original post from RAM Guy below. "With single XMS3200C2 modules, or mixing them the suggested settings would be Cass 2.5-3-3-7." "I would suggest that you ask the reseller to exchange this for CMX512-3200LL instead. The IC we used to make this module is no longer available from Winbond. And the new version of XMS3200C2 uses Infineon IC's. However, XMS3200LL still uses Winbond -5 Rev C IC's and should work with your old modules." I understand that sometimes decisions are made to make changes, but I have to agree with you that it seems reasonable to expect to buy the same part number less than 3 months after purchasing the original memory and be able to combine them at stock settings without problems. Now I wish I had just bought 1GB of TwinX from the start. I've always been able to add memory incrementally in the past as my budget would allow so I thought it would be the case when spending a lot more money on higher quality Corsair XMS memory. Now I have to go through the hassle of returning the memory and paying for shipping and a 10% restocking fee. :(:

• Corsair Employee
smitham, First off I understand your frustration! in addition, I am sorry that you are having trouble. However, Winbond announced last year of their intent to get out of the DRAM business and announced February before last they were changing to Rev C die of their IC's and announced Last September that All Rev B production had been halted. Then In December of last year announced they were planning to stop all DRAM production ASAP. Since then the IC's we used have been really hard to get. Sorry, but that’s beyond our control! In addition to this I have always suggested that you buy the memory that you plan on using as upgrades can sometimes be tricky adventure like you have found. We have never to my knowledge suggested mixing memory, other than if someone had asked about a specific configuration. More importantly, we are the only enthusiast module maker that publishes our revision #'s, as most never tell you something has changed till you find out the hard way! I know I have been there many times in the past! All that being said; I have no problem helping you with an RMA for both modules that you have, so we can try replacing them with a closer match! However, you would need to RMA both modules, would be the best I can offer!

It is a frustration but I can see why it can happen. Thanks for further info Ramguy. Any chance you could shed some light on the errors I got on my module? 63 errors on test 5 of memtest86 on my v1.1 module. Is this a fault worthy of an RMA? This module is about a year old. As is it I cannot run both modules even with relaxed timings.

• Corsair Employee
The Revision 1.1 module should run with out problems at these settings. I would suggest that we go ahead and replace it under RMA. That way the new module should be the same as your new module and solve both issues. Please follow the link in my signature and we will be happy to replace the module for you.

Thanks RAM GUY! I also understand the situation. I appreciate your help! I would just like to get the problem solved so that I can get 1GB of XMS3200C2 RAM working in my machine. I'm trying to play 'Far Cry', which is a great game, but seems to be a real RAM hog! Can I get an RMA directly from you/Corsair and have an appropriate twinx combination sent to me as a replacement? I don't think NewEgg will accept the module I bought in January. The RMA link in your signature outlines the RMA process for faulty parts. Would it apply in this situation as well? Is there any way you can help usher it through the process? Thanks again!

• Corsair Employee
I am not sure that we would be able to replace them for a Twinx set. However, I have no problem asking for you. Please email with your contact info, name address and phone# and the module part #'s and email it to me at [email]ramguy@corsairmmeory.com[/email] along with a link to this post and I will be happy to try!

Archived