Corsair Community

Errors on memtest with TWIN2X4096-6400C5

foxtrot9r

I currently have TWIN2X4096-6400C5 running dual channel on my Asus P5E-VM HDMI motherboard and I've tested it using memtest86+ v2.10 and it has shown a lot of errors. I was experiencing crashes while running windows. When I bought these Corsair dimms off Newegg.com I've tested them when I put them in with memtest and it has shown no errors. I have just recently been experiencing crashing. This computer has been built very recently and it seems that the corsair dimms have failed.

Any ideas?

• Corsair Employees

Can you please list all of the settings you have made in your BIOS for voltage, memory, and CPU? Additionally, please list your complete part number from the stickers on your memory.

Also, keep in mind that when running Memtest on ASUS MOBOs, you will need to disable USB Legacy Support as that setting can cause a false positive.

Here are the numbers on my corsair stickers exactly as I see them on both dimms

CM2X2048 - 6400C5

1.90V ver3.1

000178 08115030-0

5-5-5-18

800mhz

2048MB

XMS2-6400

CM2X2048 - 6400C5

1.90V ver3.1

000184 08115030-0

5-5-5-18

800mhz

2048MB

XMS2-6400

I have all my bios settings at auto, which is the default. I will try disabling the usb legacy support.

I have tested both sticks in dual channel and it gives me errors in memtest (usb legacy support disabled).

Testing them individually in single channel mode, gives no errors at all. I'm confused, how is it that single channel works and dual doesn't?

• Corsair Employees
I have tested both sticks in dual channel and it gives me errors in memtest (usb legacy support disabled).

Testing them individually in single channel mode, gives no errors at all. I'm confused, how is it that single channel works and dual doesn't?

Usually that would indicate a problem with the board. You may want to test a single module in each slot to see if you can isolate a failing DIMM slot. If that fails then I would test the memory modules together in single channel mode. You can normally enable single channel with a pair of memory modules by installing each one in a different color DIMM slot. Let us know your results!

I've tried it using dual channel with the other 2 banks. Still gives me errors.

I tried them both using single channel and memtest give no errors. Seems the 2nd bank on my motherboard has died. It sees the ram there but it cannot access it without giving errors. The Corsair sticks are fine, thanks for your help.

• Corsair Employees
I've tried it using dual channel with the other 2 banks. Still gives me errors.

I tried them both using single channel and memtest give no errors. Seems the 2nd bank on my motherboard has died. It sees the ram there but it cannot access it without giving errors. The Corsair sticks are fine, thanks for your help.

Glad to be of service but sorry to hear about your board. Good luck with a replacement and let us know if you need anything else from Corsair.

I ordered some new other brand ram from newegg and I tried memtest and prime95. Tests pass but when I put the Corsairs back in, It instantly gives me Fatal Errors. Do I have a bad pair? I've tested my system when I put the Corsairs in when I built my system and they've passed last time.

• Corsair Employees
Here are the numbers on my corsair stickers exactly as I see them on both dimms

CM2X2048 - 6400C5

1.90V ver3.1

000178 08115030-0

5-5-5-18

800mhz

2048MB

XMS2-6400

CM2X2048 - 6400C5

1.90V ver3.1

000184 08115030-0

5-5-5-18

800mhz

2048MB

XMS2-6400

I have all my bios settings at auto, which is the default. I will try disabling the usb legacy support.

When you are using the Corsair memory, are you manually setting the memory voltage to 1.9v?

• Corsair Employees
I ordered some new other brand ram from newegg and I tried memtest and prime95. Tests pass but when I put the Corsairs back in, It instantly gives me Fatal Errors. Do I have a bad pair? I've tested my system when I put the Corsairs in when I built my system and they've passed last time.

Just so I am clear here, are you mixing the 2 memory kits?

Also, when you ran Memtest, did you disable Legacy USB Support and also test each module individually?

Just so I am clear here, are you mixing the 2 memory kits?

Also, when you ran Memtest, did you disable Legacy USB Support and also test each module individually?

No I am not mixing 2 memory kits just using the Corsair kit by itself. Also I've disabled the usb legacy support. I'm going to do more debugging tonight i'll update.

Update: For some strange reason my Asus P5E-VM HDMI motherboard won't get a Tras of 18, the max it could go is a Tras of 15.

I've set the Dimm Frequency to DDR2-667mhz instead of the rated DDR2-800mhz and took the timings down to 4-4-4-12, set the voltage back to auto. Still stress testing, So far No errors yet, sadly its not the rated speed it was supposed to run at.

I've tested the timings and voltages without avail. Seems every test I've ran has failed. I'm clueless at this point why these corsairs are unstable. I also find it very strange that I can only achieve a tRAS of 18 only if I set the timings to auto in bios. Bios only has a max tRAS of 15 (very strange, this is the latest bios version for my motherboard too).

Archived