Corsair Community

TR3X6G1600C8D - Asus P6T Deluxe - 920

PSharp

I am new to building a system and would like to get feedback as to the compatibility of the Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D with the Asus P6T Deluxe and Core i7 920.

Is this a very good match? My understanding is I would need to overclock the 920 to make use of the 1600. Is this correct? If so, I don't think that is a problem ... I just want to be sure I'm not overbuying what the cpu can use.

Is there a better Corsair product for my motherboard and cpu?

If compatible, I would like to buy 6 gig (3 x 2). Would I be able to add another set of 3 like it in the future to make 12 gig? Will the board support that?

I am concerned the TR3X6G1600C8D does not appear in the Asus qualified vendor list. Why is this?

Thanks in advance!

Hold up Ram Guy, the i7 can only support 1066 ram so why bother with the 1600, and also according to Asus's web site an Intel standard would limit any 1600 ram to one dimm per channel which would limit this config to 6 gig NOT 12 gig.

I got both of these items from Asus's site and the MoBo manual, am I wrong?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee
Hold up Ram Guy, the i7 can only support 1066 ram so why bother with the 1600, and also according to Asus's web site an Intel standard would limit any 1600 ram to one dimm per channel which would limit this config to 6 gig NOT 12 gig.

I got both of these items from Asus's site and the MoBo manual, am I wrong?

Thanks!

The i7 can and does support MUCH higher frequency memory than 1066. We have MOBOs in the lab running DDR2000 with 12GB. I have one beside me (Asus P6T Deluxe) running 12GB of 1600.

Ok, my bad, I'm a noob when it comes to this crap!

I would like a suggestion on the best ram to use on an Asus P6T with an Intel i7 920 with absolutely no OC'ing involved, I've never OC'd and the rig I want to build is way too many $$ to experiment, so can anyone make a suggstion?

Thanks!

Here's the think bertman. The high end products are made for overclocking and normally you need to overclock if you are going to reach the high end DRAM speeds. Intel processors need to be run at least as fast as the DRAM. For your choices.

Stock for the 920 CPU is 133 x 8 = 1066mhz memory (133 x 20 = 2.66 cpu).

It's still going to be fast. :):

TR3X6G1333C9

Ok, my bad, I'm a noob when it comes to this crap!

I would like a suggestion on the best ram to use on an Asus P6T with an Intel i7 920 with absolutely no OC'ing involved, I've never OC'd and the rig I want to build is way too many $$ to experiment, so can anyone make a suggstion?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

It's still going to be fast. :):

TR3X6G1333C9

I'm in the exact boat as the op. I have the P6T but need a 6GB memory kit for it. I don't want to OC, I just want out-of-the-box good clean stock fun. Will the kit that you posted work without having to adjust BIOS settings? Is this the right kit for my needs?

Thank you and Merry Christmas

I'm in the exact boat as the op. I have the P6T but need a 6GB memory kit for it. I don't want to OC, I just want out-of-the-box good clean stock fun. Will the kit that you posted work without having to adjust BIOS settings? Is this the right kit for my needs?

Thank you and Merry Christmas

These modules will default to 1066Mhz on a system where you do not enter the BIOS and set to 1333Mhz.

oh wait so even for 1333 speed i would need to do a slight overclock? are there some ready-set templates i can use that will tell me what values i need to enter into the p6t and will this damage the cpu?

You will not damage the CPU.

Download Memtest86+ V2.10 from--->

Download CPU-z from-->

Enter your BIOS, load setup defaults, save setup defaults and set to these values.

AI Tweaker

Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: 8
BCLK Frequency: 133 --> 166Mhz (Gives you 20 X 166 = 3.3Ghz)
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1066 --> 1333Mhz (Gives you 8 X 166 ~= 133Mhz)
UCLK Frequency:Auto
QPI Frequency: Auto

QPI/DRAM Voltage: Auto (This is where you would increase the DRAM voltage but I don't believe you will need it for 1333Mhz. If you do need to increase for stability, do not increase higher than 1.6v. You will NOT damage either your CPU or your DRAM with this overclock.

DRAM Timing Control: Manual

DRAM CAS# Latency: 9
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Latency: 9
DRAM RAS# to PRE Time: 9
DRAM RAS# ACT Time: 24
DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay: Auto
DRAM REF Cycle Time: Auto
DRAM WRITE Recovery Time: Auto
DRAM READ to PRE Time: Auto
DRAM Four ACT WIN Time: Auto
All The Rest Set to Auto

Boot to the memtest CD and test for two full passes. Then, if stable, enter Windows and post your CPU-z CPU/Memory and SPD tabs in screenshots.

Archived