Corsair Community

CMPSU-650TX - New system shuts down while booting

nealbialos

I'm putting together a new system consisting of the following components

EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm 2-ball UFO Bearing / Transparent CPU Cooler

XFX PVT98WYDDU GeForce 9800 GTX+ XXX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

I have everything assembled

but I'm having a weird problem with boot up. I get a single beep, the

chassis fan and the CPU cooler fan both come on, CPU, memory, disk are

all recognized but then I get a couple of error messages

Warning! Case did open

Warning! CPU has been changed. Please re-enter CPU settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before quitting

And then the system shuts down

If I turn it back on immediately it shuts down again pretty quickly

before it even gets to the error messages. I have to wait awhile before it goes back to the symptoms above

I'm wondering if this could be related to the power supply or perhaps I have made a mistake in the power connections. It seems like it is shutting down because of a voltage problem. This is the first system I have tried to build by myself.

Thanks, Neal

• Corsair Employees
I think that this issue may have more to do with the BIOS/motherboard. Have you tried resetting the BIOS via the CLRTC jumper on the board? There should be detailed instructions in your motherboard manual if you have never done this before. Its probably a good idea to reset the BIOS and then update it, just to rule out the possibility that this is a configuration issue.

I did reset the BIOS from the motherboard and that didn't change the symptoms. The system won't stay powered on long enough for me update the BIOS. I can get into the BIOS menu briefly before it shuts down but thats all. I can change a setting if I'm fast enough.

Also the system will stay powered up longer when I first turn it on. After the first time it shuts down if I try to power it up again it shuts down right away. If I power it off and wait awhile to turn it on it will stay up long enough to get into the BIOS menu and then shut down.

Thanks for your reply

• Corsair Employees
To see if its the PSU powering down on its own, I would suggest that you try this simple functionality test. If the PSU turns on and stays on, then there is likely some other component which is causing these shutdowns. If the PSU turns on then shuts down on its own when doing this test, then lets get the unit replaced! Let us know your results!

Archived