Corsair Community

Corsair Flash Voyager 16GB - Slow

Geministorm

I own 3 Corsair Flash Voyager USB sticks (2GB, 8GB, & 16GB) and only the 16GB one is ... *slow* ...

Flash Voyager CMFUSB2.0 16GB:

When trying to run PortableApps on the drive, it takes quite awhile for applications to load, and running two simultaneously returned me to the days of 14.4k modems, where things were happening at a snail's pace or unresponsive. As an example, if I try to open FirefoxPortable, the wait is approx. 60-70s. I have also tried transferring a 169MB .tar file to the drive and it was reporting 75minutes to do the transfer (after 15 minutes, I canceled the action). Subsequent file transfers take similarly long/extended periods of time. Transferring multiple files simultaneously is like waiting for plants to grow.

In the past, I've had issues with transferring many small files to flash drives, but its never been a big deal with large files. With the 16GB model, *everything* is slow. I've used the key on numerous systems; Sun Sunfire x4600, x2200, Dell Optiplex with 2.8GHz, Dell Latitude laptop with 2.0GHz duo 2 core, self made system with 3.0GHz D2C, etc...on each system its the same story, transfers are slow. Yes, I'm using USB 2.0 on each system. And, on each system I've previously used other Flash Voyager drives I own and had no issues.

Is this normal for this model/size Flash Voyager? Is there any way to improve its performance?

Note: Winzip won't decompress the hdbench .lzh files, but 7zip did.

Results:

(Size) | Read | Write | RRead | RWrite |

1MB | 28000 | 1674 | 28054 | 250 |

2MB | 28614 | 3192 | 29153 | 435 |

4MB | 29735 | 6918 | 29681 | 514 |

8MB | 29681 | 8007 | 30284 | 815 |

20MB | 29595 | 8737 | 30029 | 363 |

100MB | 29976 | 8606 | 30064 | 363 |

That's all I had time for, the 100MB run took about 6 minutes.

Do these values fall within the normal specs for the memory devices?

Thanks for the info.

I suspected as much for the MLC chips. I guess its better to use the larger drives for storage until the chip write speeds get faster and to use the smaller/older drives with the fast SLC chips for things like PortableApps?

BTW, I was going to use one of my Voyager drives as a bootable (persistant) linux drive, see http://www.pendrivelinux.com for example, to always have a LiveCD-like environment for travel, troubleshooting, personal files and settings, etc. However, a collegue of mine (also an EE) mentioned that the max number of writes to the memory is very limited (< 10k) and that running a kernel on the flash device was a bad idea (would shorten useful life span). Is that information accurate for this generation of device?

Archived