Corsair Community

smoke came out the back of hx520 psu

verve

Hi I was building my first computer. Motherboard evga 780i, intel quad processor, evga 9800 gt graphic card, and 520hx corsair power supply. As soon as I pushed the power button on the case, psu turned on and smoke came out the back. I immediately disconnected the power from the psu. I shorted out the green and the black wire and the fan ran just fine. I tried restarting the computer again and the motherboard turns on for one second and immediately shuts down. I talked to corsair customer service and they are issuing me a rma number.

However, this is my first build and i wanted to know if the faulty powersupply somehow fried my motherboard or not. How can i find out if the power supply caused any damage or not? Is this the reason why

ps. I talked to evga customer support and they said i should take out the motherboard from the case and try starting it. They said it might be a grounding issue. However, i dont want take further risk by using a faulty psu so i'm gonna wait until corsair sends me the replacement.

• Corsair Employees
I would agree with you that its probably best to get the unit replaced, just to be on the safe side. The PSU itself has overvoltage and overcurrent protection circuits built in, so if the PSU failed for some reason, its unlikely that any other components would have been damaged.

I would agree with you that its probably best to get the unit replaced, just to be on the safe side. The PSU itself has overvoltage and overcurrent protection circuits built in, so if the PSU failed for some reason, its unlikely that any other components would have been damaged.

thanks for getting back to me. So is that why my motherboard wouldn't turn on when i tried to to turn on the computer again for the second time with the same psu? Or does that indicate motherboard is also faulty? I'm wondering if the psu fried the motherboard too and if i should start a rma process with evga as well. Btw i mailed the psu today. I can't believe i have to wait another 10-14 days before i can set up the computer. This sucks :x

• Corsair Employees
It's hard to say at this point if the motherboard could have been damaged. If it was damaged, then there would likely be a trace of it. You may want to take a close look at it with a flash light and see if you can find anything out of the ordinary. You may also want to contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com and see if there is anything they can do to speed up the process.

It's hard to say at this point if the motherboard could have been damaged. If it was damaged, then there would likely be a trace of it. You may want to take a close look at it with a flash light and see if you can find anything out of the ordinary. You may also want to contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com and see if there is anything they can do to speed up the process.

What do you mean when you say "out of ordinary"? This is my first build and I don't really know that much about motherboards. What is it that i should be looking for? Thanks again for your help.

• Corsair Employees
What do you mean when you say "out of ordinary"? This is my first build and I don't really know that much about motherboards. What is it that i should be looking for? Thanks again for your help.
If the MOBO was damaged, you may be able to see scorched components or traces.

Archived