Corsair Community

Sufficient power?

soloLArch-

I currently have a Core i7 920 system @ 3.4Ghz (stock voltage i think), as well as one XFX GTX 260 216 Black Edition (stock), as well as 2 400GB SATA HDDs, a MSI X58 Eclipse SLI, 3GB of Corsair XMS DDR3-1600, one DVDRW and 4 fans total (2 of which on cpu, 3 120mm 1 80mm) on a Corsair 620w Modular Power Supply.

EDIT: The peripherals I have attached are my Razer Tarantula and Lachesis, Inner Ear Earphones, and occasionally my phone

Will the power supply be able to handle a 2nd GTX 260 216 as well as a watercooling system? (I'll be overclocking the 2 cards after i get my wc)

I have heard opinions from both sides of the argument, where some people say "NO WAY LOL" and others who take out their calculators and say that 50A on the 12V rails is enough.

Also, I've seen this from http://forum.ncixus.com/forums/index.php?mode=showthread&forum=100&threadid=1420116&pagenumber=1&msgcount=11&subpage=1&product_id=19831

Disagreing is cool. Keep in mind that the HX620 is a conservatively rated unit.

And, the ones in the lab are doing just fine but, that is not the same as true long term 24/7 usage for say.....2-3 years. But, the cards listed here only use about 30w more than and 8800GTX MAX. They don't each pull 200w continuously. Our retail PSUs have run demo rigs using OCed QX CPUs, Strikers, 8800 GTX SLI, RAID array, 4gb of memory, an Nautilus, and some pretty lights and never broke a sweat.

Perhaps we'll have some different choices soon

Also, guru3d says

GeForce GTX 260 | 280 SLI

* A second GeForce GTX 260 requires you to have a 700 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 50 Amps available on the 12 volts rails.

I'm pretty confused now. Is the 620w model enough?

Archived