Corsair Community

Possible Incompatible or bad Ram Error?

kenalcock

<sigh> Okay, I'm a novice PC builder. I work in IT, so this hardware stuff usually doesn't go too far over my head, and I did read up before I started building this new system. Still, I assume I know nothing, and I've tried my best troubleshooting here to no avail. My Situation: I'm building a new system out of brand new parts (all parts are unproven except the monitor). Upon assembly and boot-up, I don't even get to a BIOS screen, I keep getting a single beep of about three seconds, then a continuous beep out of the motherboard speaker (Award BIOS). I powered down and removed everything. I then took the motherboard out of the chassis and placed it on a none conductive surface (to eliminate any shorting possibilities. I then connected only the: CPU with active heat sink, RAM, PSU, chassis power switch, led, and speaker. I also plugged a working hard drive into the PSU for load, but didn't connect it to the motherboard. I still get the same beep sequence. The best I can ascertain, from various sources, is that this beep sequence might mean incompatible, poorly seated, or bad memory. Or, one source suggested it might be a faulty power supply. When everything was connected, the PSU lit up led's, spun up hard drives and Cd Roms, all system fans worked well, etc. Since all of these parts are brand new (and I don't have a compatible system nearby to test them in individually), I have to assume it could be anything, so that my bases are covered. My Questions I'm wondering if I purchased the wrong RAM for this system? Or do you think I could've received faulty RAM? Can you confirm whether or not I made a design mistake here? Any ideas how to troubleshoot this better? My system specs are below. What I wanted was a 1GB matched set (2x512MB) of PC3200 DDR RAM with ECC. (NOTE: I will subsequently be building a second system based on the same motherboard, but I want 2GB matched set (2x1GB) of PC3200 DDR RAM with ECC for that one.) Below are the specs of the Motherboard, CPU, PSU, and the RAM I purchased. Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8KNXP Rev 2.0 Intel 875 Chipset, Socket 478 Pentium FSB 800, supports ECC Supports up to 4 GB of RAM. CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.0C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512KB L2 Cache PSU: ThermalTake Silent Purepower 480W RAM: Corsair Part#: TwinX1024RE-3200LLPT Lot#: 0408053 UPC: 8 70584 00217 8 NOTE: I also tried various RAM placement in the motherboard, and even without dual channel arrangement. All generated the same beep sequence. Please help, and thanks in advance.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry! However, this MB or chipset will not support registered memory. I would ask your reseller if they can exchange them for a module with no "r" or "RE" in the part# like Twinx1024-3200 would be a good choice for this MB!

[QUOTE]I am sorry! However, this MB or chipset will not support registered memory. I would ask your reseller if they can exchange them for a module with no "r" or "RE" in the part# like Twinx1024-3200 would be a good choice for this MB![/QUOTE] The following I've taken word-for-word from the GA-8KNXP User Manual: [list] [*]Supports Dual Channel DDR400/DDR333/DDR266 DIMM [*]Supports 128MB/256MB/512MB/1GB unbuffered DRAM [*]Supports up to 4GB DRAM (Max) [COLOR=Lime][*]Supports only 2.5V DDR DIMM[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow][*]Supports 64bit ECC Type DRAM integrity mode[/COLOR][/list] I read the line highlighted in [COLOR=Yellow]Yellow [/COLOR] above to mean that this motherboard supported ECC RAM. Can you explain to me why you believe it doesn't? Also, I noticed that a lot of your RAM is listed 2.6V and this states the GA-8KNXP [COLOR=Lime]supports only 2.5V DDR DIMM[/COLOR]. Does this limit the field of compadible modules? Thanks again for your help,

• Corsair Employees
This chipset will not support Registered memory! No matter what Giga-Byte or any one else says. There is no way they can change the properties of the chipset just because they touched it! It will support ECC, but not registered memory. ECC and Registered is not the same thing! That is clearly listed in the Data sheet for this chipset from Intel!

[QUOTE]I am sorry! However, this MB or chipset will not support registered memory. I would ask your reseller if they can exchange them for a module with no "r" or "RE" in the part# like Twinx1024-3200 would be a good choice for this MB![/QUOTE] I've also taken the following word-for-word from the Intel® 875P Chipset Datasheet Intel® 82875P Memory Controller Hub (MCH) February 2004 [SIZE=2][B][COLOR=Cyan]System Memory Interface[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE] The MCH integrates a system memory DDR controller with two 64-bit wide interfaces. Only Double Data Rate (DDR) memory is supported; consequently, the buffers support only SSTL_2 signal interfaces. The memory controller interface is fully configurable through a set of control registers. [SIZE=2][B][COLOR=Cyan]System Memory Interface[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE] [list] [*] Supports one or two, 64-bit wide DDR data channels with 1 or 2 DIMMs per-channel [*] Available bandwidth up to 3.2 GB/s (DDR400) for single-channel mode and 6.4 GB/s (DDR400) in dual-channel mode. [*] [COLOR=Yellow]Configurable optional ECC operation (single-bit Error Correction and multiple-bit Error Detection)[/COLOR] [*] Supports 128-Mb, 256-Mb, 512-Mb DDR technologies [*] Supports only x8, x16, DDR devices with four banks [*] Registered DIMMs not supported [*] Supports opportunistic refresh [*] SPD (Serial Presence Detect) scheme for DIMM detection support [*] Suspend-to-RAM support using CKE [*] Supports configurations defined in the JEDEC DDR1 DIMM specification only [*] Performance Acceleration Technology support [/list] [SIZE=2][B][COLOR=Cyan]Single-Channel DDR Configuration[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE] [list] [*] Up to 4.0 GB of DDR [*] Supports up to four DDR DIMMs (two DIMMs per channel), single-sided and/or double-sided [*] [COLOR=Yellow]Supports DDR266, DDR333, or DDR400 unregistered ECC[/COLOR] or non-ECC [COLOR=Yellow]DDR DIMMs[/COLOR] [*] Does not support registered DIMMs [*] Supports up to 32 simultaneously open pages [*] Does not support mixed-mode / uneven double-sided DDR DIMMs [*] Does not support double sided x16 DIMMS [/list] [SIZE=2][B][COLOR=Cyan]Dual-Channel DDR Configuration - Lockstep[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE] [list] [*] Up to 4.0 GB of DDR [*] Supports up to four DDR DIMMs (two DIMMs per channel), single-sided and/or double-sided [*] Does not support double sided x16 DIMMS [*] SIMMS must be populated in identical pairs for dual-channel operation [*] Supports 16 simultaneously open pages (four per row) [*] [COLOR=Yellow]Supports DDR266, DDR333, or DDR400 [/COLOR] unregistered non-ECC [COLOR=Yellow]or ECC DDR DIMMs[/COLOR][/list] I read the lines highlighted in [COLOR=Yellow]Yellow [/COLOR] above to mean that this chipset supports ECC RAM. Can you explain to me why you believe it doesn't? Again, what I'm looking for is two matched sets of DIMMS (for two different machines based on the same motherboard): [list] [*]1GB (2x512MB) DDR 400 PC3200 ECC 2.5V [*]2GB (2x1024MB) DDR 400 PC3200 ECC 2.5V [/list] Thanks again for your help,

• Corsair Employees
LOL! You answered your own question my friend! System Memory Interface Supports one or two, 64-bit wide DDR data channels with 1 or 2 DIMMs per-channel Available bandwidth up to 3.2 GB/s (DDR400) for single-channel mode and 6.4 GB/s (DDR400) in dual-channel mode. Configurable optional ECC operation (single-bit Error Correction and multiple-bit Error Detection) Supports 128-Mb, 256-Mb, 512-Mb DDR technologies Supports only x8, x16, DDR devices with four banks [COLOR=Red][SIZE=4]Registered DIMMs not supported[/SIZE][/COLOR] Supports opportunistic refresh SPD (Serial Presence Detect) scheme for DIMM detection support Suspend-to-RAM support using CKE Supports configurations defined in the JEDEC DDR1 DIMM specification only Performance Acceleration Technology support

[QUOTE]This chipset will not support Registered memory! No matter what Giga-Byte or any one else says. There is no way they can change the properties of the chipset just because they touched it! It will support ECC, but not registered memory. ECC and Registered is not the same thing! That is clearly listed in the Data sheet for this chipset from Intel![/QUOTE] I understand Registered and ECC are different; I wasn't contesting that, nor the fact that this motherboard doesn't support Registered RAM. However I still require the correct memory to meet my requirements, which is why I am still in the conversation. I need to find two matched sets of DIMMS [list] [*]1GB (2x512MB) DDR 400 PC3200 ECC 2.5V [*]2GB (2x1024MB) DDR 400 PC3200 ECC 2.5V [/list] Does Corsair make a suitable memory module to meet these requirements? Thanks for your help

Archived