Corsair Community

New RAM will only register "single bank"!

choochoo

:brick: I've been running a matched pair of Corsair DDR2- 800 Twin2X1024-6400C4 sticks since I set this 2.4 GHz system up. They've run fine.

I just purchased, I thought, a new pair of Twin2X1024-6400C4 sticks to upgrade my system. This is how the sticks are labeled but the product ID# on the package says Twin2X2048-6400C4.

I don't know if there's a difference but as soon as I installed the 2 new sticks along side the older sticks I got a BEEEEEEEEP until XP was finally up and running. Slowed my machine down like crazy!

After checking things out with PC Wizard I discovered that my CPU speed had dropped to a little over 1 GHz (the BIOS changed my multiplier) and the new sticks were only registering as "single bank" while the old owns still registered "dual bank". I removed all RAM and inserted just the new sticks and they still registered "single bank". I can't get them to register dual bank. I took the new ones out and re-installed the old ones and everything is running well as before, registering "dual bank". Are these new sticks bad or different? :thinking:

• Corsair Employees

Please install just the new modules and post a screen shot from CPU-Z of the SPD tab.

And when you install them please load setup defaults and then set the tested settings manually. It is not suggested to mix memory so they may not run together.

It does report the same SPD reading for all 4 of the sticks when they're installed in pairs.

My main concern is the older pair showing "dual bank" and the new pair showing "single bank". Also, the new pair alone effect my multiplier and slower the CPU freq.

• Corsair Employees

I am not too familiar with PC Wizard, but I would assume that single and dual bank is referring to single and double sided modules. Its likely that your new modules are only single sided.

Whenever you change your hardware configuration you will want to load setup defaults in your BIOS. There are no settings programmed into these modules that could change your CPU speed.

Archived