Corsair Community

TW3X4G1600C9DHX or TR3X6G1333C9 @ Core i7 920 on P6T Deluxe

MrBird

Hi experts,

I have some troubles in choosing the best affordable ram for the Core i7 920. Now I am using the Corsair XMS3 DHX DIMM Kit 4GB PC3-12600U CL9-9-9-24 (DDR3-1600) (TW3X4G1600C9DHX G) which is recommended by ASUS in the P6T Deluxe users manual. The problem with this ram is that its specs are 1600 @ 1,8V (Core i7 should be under 1,65V). Although I overclocked the bus speed of the cpu to 190Mhz this ram works really great at 1,5V CL8-8-8-20 DRAM Frequency 570MHz (with Bios settings AUTO). I am wondering if I should use 12GB (3 x 4GB-Kit) of the TW3X4G1600C9DHX G or if I should use two kits of the new Corsair XMS3 DIMM Kit 6GB PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24 (DDR3-1333) (TR3X6G1333C9) for a better performance? Is it better for me to choose the newer or the older ram?

THX for any help!

Sorry about my English - I'm not a native speaker.

I'd go with the TR pack. It's designed for a lower voltage, and the TR3X6G1333C9 x 2 is cheaper than 3 of the TW3X4G1600C9DHX. If you go with 2 of the TR3X6G1600C8D, it's only slightly more than the 3 pack afforementioned. Note that I got all of these prices from Newegg, so it may vary where you're located.

I'd go with the TR pack. It's designed for a lower voltage, and the TR3X6G1333C9 x 2 is cheaper than 3 of the TW3X4G1600C9DHX. If you go with 2 of the TR3X6G1600C8D, it's only slightly more than the 3 pack afforementioned. Note that I got all of these prices from Newegg, so it may vary where you're located.

It's easy to tell that you're getting ready to buy Wired. :D:

It is only cheaper if I will buy all memory new, but I already have one kit of the TW3X4G1600C9DHX, so I will only need 2 more kits (about 167,-- each = total 334,--). The TR3X6G1333C9 x 2 will cost me about 460,-- where I live.

Overall there would be only a difference about 50,-- which I don't really care if the performance of the ram is better. So which memory will have the best performance under the circumstances of Core i7??? Is it still possible to overclock the Core i7 920 with the TR3X6G1333C9 up to cpu bus speed 190MHz or higher?

THX for your help guys!

Now I have both a TW3X4G1600C9DHX and a TR3X6G1333C9G kit at home. There is absolutely no difference between these two kits when I overclock the i7 920 to bus speed 190 (all other stuff is in AUTO mode in bios). Both show DRAM Frequency 570MHz and 8:8:8:20 @ 1,5V in CPU-Z and work stable. It seems that the i7 920 or the ASUS P6T bios is using the same values and speeds for both models.

That's why I think I will bring the TR3X6G1333C9G back and buy two more TW3X4G1600C9DHX. They are cheaper and look better - and maybe I will need some 1600 ram in the future...(although it runs at 1,8V with 1600)

Anything to add? Am I wrong with this point of view?

• 2 months later...

No, sorry - I brought everything back and bought the new TR3X6G1600C9, which works great, but there is absolutely no difference between the TR3X6G1600C9 and the TR3X6G1333C9 if you are using it with a Core i7 920 on the P6T Deluxe (except the price :D:).

The crazy thing is that I overclocked the i7 920 to cpu bus speed 191 with the boxed intel cooler and it works absolutely stable and is not overheating.

Great memory, great mainboard, great cpu!

• Corsair Employees

Glad to hear you got it stable.

Just FYI and with a 920, the 1600 version will allow a higher memory speed and produce more memory bandwidth. Extreme users may also be able to hit higher CPU OCs with the faster memory kits.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have just discovered this post too late unfortunately.I have a asus P6T deluxe with TW3X4G1600C9DHX. I have to look in file QVL of ASUS for my motherboard to parameterize the RAM. I applied the change and I thus damaged something. I suppose that it is the processor? Can you help me to diagnose the problem.

I have already make turned memtest all the night and I do not have an error. I think that the motherboard thus supports 1,8 volt I think of the CPU.

Asca

P.S.:Sorry for English, I am French user speaking.

Enter your BIOS and set to these values:

AI Overclock Tweaker

Ai Overclock Tuner = X.M.P.
CPU Ratio Setting = 20
BCLK Frequency = 133
PCI-e Frequency = 100
DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1600
All Else to Auto

Voltages

CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU Pll Voltage = Auto
QPI/DRAM Voltage = Auto
IOH Voltage = Auto
IOH PCIe Voltage = Auto
ICH Voltage = Auto
ICH PCIe Voltage = Auto
DRAM Bus Voltage = 1.65v

Advanced -> CPU Configuration

CPU Ratio Setting: 20
C1E Support: Enable
Hardware Prefetch: Enable
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch: Enable
Intel Virtualization Tech: Enable
CPU TM Function: Enable
Execute Disable Bit: Enable
Intel HT Technology: Enable
Active Processors: All
A20M: Disable
Intel C-State Technology: Enabled
   C-State = C7

Shut your system down, boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. Then, if stable, enter Windows and post screenshots of the CPU-z CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

I very much doubt any hardware damage. Be careful when setting voltages though. Set to the values and memtest BEFORE installing VISTA.

Thank you for the answer. I start by reinstalling Vista which is corrupted. I would make the tests after. I hope that the hardware is not damages.

Please try again but make these changes noted in RED:

AI Overclock Tweaker

Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual

CPU Ratio Setting = 20

BCLK Frequency = 133

PCI-e Frequency = 100

DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1333

All Else to Auto

Voltages

CPU Voltage = Auto

CPU Pll Voltage = Auto

QPI/DRAM Voltage = Auto

IOH Voltage = Auto

IOH PCIe Voltage = Auto

ICH Voltage = Auto

ICH PCIe Voltage = Auto

DRAM Bus Voltage = 1.65v

C-State = C7Shut your system down, boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. Then, if stable, enter Windows and post screenshots of the CPU-z CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

If this fails, try this:

AI Overclock Tweaker

Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual

CPU Ratio Setting = 20

BCLK Frequency = 133

PCI-e Frequency = 100

DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1066

All Else to Auto

Voltages

CPU Voltage = Auto

CPU Pll Voltage = Auto

QPI/DRAM Voltage = Auto

IOH Voltage = Auto

IOH PCIe Voltage = Auto

ICH Voltage = Auto

ICH PCIe Voltage = Auto

DRAM Bus Voltage = 1.65v

C-State = C7Shut your system down, boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. Then, if stable, enter Windows and post screenshots of the CPU-z CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Archived