Corsair Community

TX650W not working with Dell Vostro 410

dougth

I've tried to install a new TX650W PS in my new Dell Vostro 410 computer. I can't seem to make it work. The PS passes all the tests - jumper black & green wires on 24 pin conn - fan works and some pins on all connectors have power. It will run a hard drive when jumpered like that.

Original PS works fine in the computer and has the missing pin on the 24 pin conn, like the TX650 (both new style). Everything on the TX650 is connected exactly like the original PS. Motherboard is a full size ATX - uses 24 pin conn and the 4 pin 12v conn. Attached is a PDF showing Dell's power connector pin assignments - I don't know if the TX650 matches those.

Support suggested resetting the BIOS and letting it reboot with the TX650 installed. That still didn't work. The LED on the motherboard lights up, but pressing (or holding) the computer on button doesn't start the computer.

Seems like pressing the on/off button doesn't tell the motherboard to start the power supply. Any ideas? Should I get my money back on the TX650?

Thanks!

Dell pinouts.pdf

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest that you contact Dell and make sure that this system will work with a standard ATX12v 2.01 or newer PSU. If the system is designed to use an older spec, or if the system uses a proprietary PSU, then our PSU may not be compatible, even if the pin-outs are the same.

Talked to Dell and they say their power supplies are proprietary! Guess that means that Corsair PSUs won't work in new Dell computers. I find that pretty hard to understand. They say that their 350W PS will handle anything that I need to add to the Vostro 410. Guess I have my sights set a little higher than they do!

• Corsair Employees
Talked to Dell and they say their power supplies are proprietary! Guess that means that Corsair PSUs won't work in new Dell computers. I find that pretty hard to understand. They say that their 350W PS will handle anything that I need to add to the Vostro 410. Guess I have my sights set a little higher than they do!

I know there are at least a few of the newer Dell systems which do not use a proprietary PSU, but unfortunately Dell (and other OEMs) tend to make it a little more difficult to find out their power spec.

Archived