Corsair Community

ASUS P4R800-VM MB - Memory problems

waaktaar

Hi, Ram Guy: I emailed you previously regarding this dilemma - but I never received a reply. Here's my problem: I purchased the ASUS P4R800-VM motherboard...I placed one module of 256 MB memory and the the board only recognizes 192 MB - could you please steer me in the right direction as to what module of Corsair memory I need to make the board utilize the full capacity of the memory? I would be most grateful. This is the system: ASUS P4R800-VM mainboard Intel P4 2.4 GHz processor The will not allow for any changes to the memory speed etc. This computer is for a customer of mine and I really need it to work soon. Please help. My email address is: [email]waaktaar944@earthlink.net[/email] Sincerely, Rick Latour

• Corsair Employees
I did answer your email, and I am sorry for the late reply. However, this is normal for this MB as it shares the system memory with the onboard Video. In addition, I would suggest 2 VS256A400 modules, as this will only support DDR400 with 2 banks of memory and an 800FSB CPU!

Hi, Ram Guy: Thanks for the reply...don't understand why I did not receive the first reply...no biggie. Ok...just so that I am on the same page as you... 1. If I want to utilize 400 DDR - I must have a 800 FSB processor? 2. The processor that I currently have is 533 FSB...what if I do not care about the 400 DDR - will the board accomodate 266 or 333 DDR speeds? I just need the board to recognize the full capacity of the module/s. Right now, it only sees 192 MB of 256 MB module (in the first slot) and only 490 MB of a 512 MB module (int the first slot). If I place a stick of 256 MB in the first slot and another in the third slot, will it recognize it as 512 MB or 128 MB in the first slot and 128 MB in the third slot etc. Or, does this board require an 800 FSB processor to recognize the full capacity of the RAM and all other instances will result in what I am experiencing - less than the full capacity. Please let me know, as I have a customer awaiting this computer and I really need to resolve something with this. I cannot give her a computer that I have charged for a 256 or 512 module that only recognizes less than that. Please help. I appreciate your time. Thanks, Rick

• Corsair Employees
1. If I want to utilize 400 DDR - I must have a 800 FSB processor? [COLOR=RoyalBlue]Yes that's correct, this is a limitation of the chipset![/COLOR] 2. The processor that I currently have is 533 FSB...what if I do not care about the 400 DDR - will the board accommodate 266 or 333 DDR speeds? I just need the board to recognize the full capacity of the module/s. Right now, it only sees 192 MB of 256 MB module (in the first slot) and only 490 MB of a 512 MB module (int the first slot). If I place a stick of 256 MB in the first slot and another in the third slot, will it recognize it as 512 MB or 128 MB in the first slot and 128 MB in the third slot etc. [COLOR=RoyalBlue]This is a limitation of the chipset as well! However, you can set the size that’s used for video in the bios. The only way you can totally disable sharing, would be to disable the on board Video and use an AGP video card![/COLOR]

[quote name='waaktaar']Thanks for the information...if I disable the onboard video...then I will be able to recognize the full amount of the memory I install? That seems the easiest to do.[/QUOTE] Remember, you'll have to have a completely separate video card in the AGP slot! PLUR CK

Archived