Corsair Community

520HX and clicking noise

rdr949

Hello,

I have a 520HX and it's a pretty wonderful power supply, but whenever I use graphics intensive applications or games, the PSU will begin emitting a clicking sound, as if a wire was barely touching the fan. But that's not the case obviously.

I've only noticed this noise when the CPU/GPU is under load.

Any ideas? Should I RMA?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees

If you stop the fan on the PSU (use something non conductive) does the noise go away? You may want to try loosening the 4 fan screws on the bottom of the PSU about a 1/4 turn to see if that will help align the fan. If nothing changes then lets get the unit replaced!

Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Thanks RAM GUY!

I tried loosening the screws on the bottom, clicking still going on during heavy CPU use :[pouts:

I'm only running a 7800GTX and a AMD 4400+...so it def. can't be maxed. I also notice that the frequency of clicking increases when using my Microsoft Sidewinder X5.

I guess I'll need to RMA this one...Will Corsair be sending me a "recertified" unit?

Thanks!

Is your video card near your PSU? It's common for NVIDIA cards to buzz during gaming. Try to make sure which component it is.

When I fired up a game, I can hear a buzzing noise from around my HX620. I tried to find out with certainty which component it is, and more and more I'm convinced it's my GTX 260. Still not 100% sure though.

• Corsair Employees
Is your video card near your PSU? It's common for NVIDIA cards to buzz during gaming. Try to make sure which component it is.

When I fired up a game, I can hear a buzzing noise from around my HX620. I tried to find out with certainty which component it is, and more and more I'm convinced it's my GTX 260. Still not 100% sure though.

Thats a good point. You may want to test the PSU in a different system, or test a different video card in your own system, just to make sure you have isolated the problem. As far as I know, we are still shipping new units as replacements.

Archived