Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-6400C5 SPD Error (Faulty?)

JasM

Hi,

I just purchased and installed 2 kits of TWIN2X4096-6400C5 for a total of 8GB of RAM.

When I start the computer, I receive the following BIOS error message:

'SERIAL PRESENCE DETECT (SPD) device data missing or inconclusive. Properly programmed SPD device data is required for reliable operation. DDR2 533 MHz memory assumed at slowest timings.'

In BIOS, SPD data shows that all 4 RAM modules have timings of 5-4-4-18 instead of 5-5-5-18 and I receive the SPD error with either configuration.

I know the RAM is compatible with my Intel D975XBX motherboard because the memory finder on the Corsair website states that TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX is compatible and this is the same as the TWIN2X4096-6400C5 but with a better heat spreader (see http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=67302 & http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62150)

I have tried each stick individually (and in different slots) and I still receive the SPD error that states that the RAM will only run at 533 Mhz. The RAM modules were all manufactured consecutively judging by the serial numbers (which are all 1 unit apart). My motherboard is not faulty as the computer runs fine with my old RAM (VS2GB667D2) and the BIOS is the latest available from Intel. From the information I have provided, are you able to confirm that the RAM I purchased is faulty?

Thanks.

PS: Printed on each module is ver3.1, if this is helpful.

• Corsair Employees

It looks like you may just need to manually set the settings in the BIOS with four modules. When populating all four slots on the board you will need to set the memory frequency to DDR667 due to limitations of the chipset. I would set the following:

Memory Votlage: 1.9v

Memory Frequency: 667MHz

TCL: 5

TRCD: 5

TRP: 5

TRAS: 15

Command Per Clock: 2T

Let us know if you still have problems!

• 2 months later...
I am thinking about doing this upgrade as well - did you ever get your system to recognize all 4 sticks of RAM? Would like to know what kind of BIOS adjustments are necessary to make this configuration work with a 64-bit version of Windows 7 beta.

• Corsair Employees

I have already posted the settings and if you have the 32 Bit version of Windows 7 Beta it will only see 4 Gig total.

Memory Voltage: 1.9v

Memory Frequency: 667MHz

TCL: 5

TRCD: 5

TRP: 5

TRAS: 15

Command Per Clock: 2T

Archived