Corsair Community

CX400W does not power up 9600 GT from standby

foolmoron

Ok, this is doubly frustrating for me right now as I have already spent hours installing and uninstalling a whole bunch of graphic and motherboard and chipset drivers and BIOS, and especially that I bought this CX400W specifically to power the new 9600GT since it has the 28A on 12V.

When I start up my computer, everything is fine and perfect. When I go to standby, everything is fine (well, asleep). But then when I wake up the computer from standby, the screen remains blank.

The fan inside the 9600 GT still spins, as do the rest of the fans in my case. I try blindly navigating the computer to turn it off, but nothing happens, so I think the whole computer just locks up. I have to do a hard reset to get it working again.

I don't understand why this happens, as the CX400W is rated high enough to power my 9600 GT, and all else I power with it is my processor, one hard drive, and two tiny sticks of 512MB RAM. Why does it work from startup but not from standby? I would think the power requirements for both processes would be similar...

I don't know whether the CX400W is just defective, and so a replacement of the same kind would work, or if it's the 9600 GT that's defective. I will be entirely disappointed if I have to get a more powerful power supply, since this site's PSU finder recommends the CX400W to power the 9600 GT,...

EDIT: Also, the PSU works fine out of standby with my old Radeon X700 card

Dunno, the problem sounds somewhat ambiguous. If you can try the 9600GT in another rig to see if it behaves in a similar manner, or try another PSU in your computer, that'd rule out whether the PSU is the culprit or not.

If the PSU was insufficient, you'd experience problems in addition to waking from sleep mode. (Crashes, lockups etc). I've used inferior PSUs rated with the same amperage with my own 9600GT, and that has worked fine. A 9600GT requires about 60-70W for itself, and the 28A amperage required by the GPU manufacturer is for the entire system itself.

Usually, a mid range system won't ever require as much as 28A from 12V. The high requirement takes into consideration that there are people using very low grade PSUs with their systems, hence the requirements. In my experience, Corsairs do not qualify as such and thus the specifications are met even at the lower end spectrum of their product range.

My only other PSU is the stock one that came with my computer that is definitely not powerful enough to power up

I will try the 9600 GT in another computer though

EDIT: I don't have another computer to try it in, but do you think it's the card and not the PSU? The fan in the card runs, so I suppose power is going to it, but there is no display on the screen...

• Corsair Employees

JoeBob is right, if the problem were related to the PSU then you would more issues other than just waking from sleep mode. I would recommend that you make sure you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard (load defaults once the BIOS is loaded), and you may want to run http://www.memtest.org to make sure that you do not have a memory related issue.

You may also want to double check with Gateway and make sure that their system is designed to run with a standard ATX12v 2.01 or newer PSU. If its an older system then it may have been designed with a proprietary PSU, or possibly an older ATX12v 1.3 power supply.

• Corsair Employees
Thanks, RAMGUY, but I think I have determined that it's the 9600 GT that's causing the problem. Your power supply is working great with my old video card : D

I am working out the problem with XFX, but thanks anyways

Let us know if you have any trouble once you get the replacement card back!

Archived