Corsair Community

Crashes when running new 2x2GB ram

BoomSlang001

Update: See post #5. RAM won't run at 1066mhz only 800mhz.

I have a P5N32-E SLi and last night I installed TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF so 2x2GB sticks of Corsair Dominator RAM. I installed them in my mobo's 1st and 3rd slots. Before this I had 2GB set up 1x1GB of the same RAM and I removed them.

I also changed out a BFG 8800GTS 512MB graphics card for this one. I had to move some cables around to do so and ended up disconnecting a power cable which stopped my pc from booting. I went back, checked the cables, fixed the problem, and then it was fine. For a while.

So I had the 2GB version of the same speed and voltage working fine. The 2 1GB sticks worked perfectly after changing some settings. Now I have 2 2GB sticks and it locks up periodically. It has locked up before display the windows vista splash screen before desktop, once it has reached the desktop it has locked up, it has locked up opening steam, opening Left 4 Dead, playing Crysis Warhead, played Unreal Tournament 3, and it happens randomly. Infact, when I was trying to register for this site the stupid thing locked up. It's definitely not a cooling problem.

All of my specs are in my profile. I ran memtest and I don't think it even made a full pass. I came back from warming up some lasagna to a screen filled with alternating color patterns. Not good.

So, what should I do? I've tried going from 2.1v to 2.2 on my memory voltage. It seems that they run fine on 800 instead of 1066, but I don't want that obviously and there's got to be a way to fix this. Also, I read someone said to try and change the SPP Voltage from 1.4 to 1.45v but I'm unsure where this is in my bios. My system is used to running 1066 so I don't understand this issue.

I hope I can resolve this issue because Crysis ran silky smoothed maxed with no AA at 1680x1050 with this ram and my pc responds quicker... when it responds at all. Thanks.

Okay it seems this only occurs when running it at 1066. Doesn't matter if it's linked,unlinked,or auto it does it anyway. SLi memory has been enabled and disabled with no effect.

EDIT: I don't mean to spam. I just messed with my settings again at 1066 it crashed when it first reached the desktop. This is the first time it's given me a BSOD and it read "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". I don't know what caused this but it seemed to reset some of my settings in the BIOS.

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Perform a hard reset of your system.

1. Shut the system down
  2. Remove the power cord
  3. Remove the CMOS Battery
  4. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to On
  5. Press the power button for 10 seconds
  6. Let sit for 10 minutes
  7. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to Off
  8. Insert the CMOS Battery
  9. Insert the Power Cord
  10. Restart the system
  11. Enter the BIOS
  12. Load Default Settings
  13. Save Default Settings and Exit

Insert a single stick of DRAM in Slot 1 (Closest to the CPU) Shut your system down. Restart and enter your BIOS.

Set to these values:

AI Tuning = Manual
Nvidia GPU Ex = Disabled
LinkBoost = Disabled

Extreme Tweaker Screen

FSB & Memory Config[/b][indent]FSB - Memory Clock Mode = Unlinked
FSB (QDR), MHz = 266 (1066)
MEM (DDR), MHz = 533 (1066)

CPU Configuration
CPU Multi = 9
CPU Internal Thermal Control = Enabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal = Disabled
Enhanced C1 (C1E) = Disabled 
Execute Disable Bit = Enabled
Virtualization Technology = Enabled
Enhance Intel Speedstep Tech = Disabled

Chipset

Memory Timing Setting
tCL = 5
tRCD = 5
tRP = 5
tRAS = 15
Command Per Clock = 2 clocks

Advanced Memory Settings

tRRD = Auto
tRC = Auto
tWR = Auto
tWTR = Auto
tREF = Auto
tRD = Auto
tRFC = 60  
Async Latency = Auto

Voltages
Vcore  = Auto
Vdimm (DRAM Voltage)  = 2.1v
1.2v HT = 1.2v
NB Vcore = 1.45v
SB Vcore = 1.55v
CPU VTT = 1.35v

Shut the system down. Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. Shut the system down, remove the stick from slot 1 and insert it in slot 3 and retest with Memtest. If both sticks test stable, shut the system down and insert the second stick of DRAM in Slot 1. Restart the system and boot to the Memtest CD. Allow for two full passes. When assured of stable DRAM, then enter Windows and Run CPU-z and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Results?

Just for the hell of it I tried those values before running through the steps of resetting my board and failed miserably. The memtest came up with 9 errors before even hitting 40% on the 1st pass.

However, after trying to find the jumper and messing with the battery for 15 minutes (tough to get out) I made it through all of your steps. I ran all the tests you told me to. I came up with no errors. Good deal!

I would recommend anyone having a problem with this board, this ram, or locking up after installing new RAM to give this reset a shot. I really appreciate it. Now the only thing I have to worry about is getting my XFX GTX 260 Core 216 "Black Edition" to stop overheating like crazy when it runs at 43*C on the desktop.

Here's the information from CPU-Z. I hope it all checks out. Thanks again!

http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4781&d=1228936825.jpg

cpuzmemfixed.thumb.jpg.906ff3e01129dd9f5606dc3e1cb20abc.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so I was actually wrong. I was wrong thinking that the problem was with my video card. I was wrong thinking the problem was Left 4 Dead. My videocard wasn't getting hot and Left 4 Dead was only 1 of many games that started crashing more and more. Using DerekT's settings I was able to get my PC stable... usually. It didn't crash much on the desktop but it crashed all the time in game. Especially left 4 dead.

I'm using Bios rev. 1205 on my P5N32-E SLI board and I could definitely update if needed. I have spent more than 12 hours troubleshooting my computer. Putting different RAM in setting and resetting, and the only thing that works is running the ram at 800mhz instead of 1066mhz. Then it's 100% stable. If I run memtest86 on all 4gb (2x2) at 1066mhz then I get ~277 errors in 2 passes with both stock bios settings and derekt's modified bios settings. I've tried a lot. I've even reinstalled Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit. Nothing seems to work.

If someone could provide me with exact settings for the bios like should I use Plug and Play OS? Spread spectrum? Speedstep? What should my memory be set at? It seemed halfway stable for a while at 1066mhz with SLi-memory set to enabled: CPUMAX0% or whatever.

Ever since I've installed this RAM I've had nothing with problems. Running it at 800mhz is definitely another problem. Please help!

BTW, remember that I had 2x1GB before of the same RAM and they ran at 1066mhz with 5-5-5-15-2T 22 set. Once I upgraded to 4GB with 2x2GB configuration it came to a screeching halt!

Did you Memtest?

Yes. In my posts I refer to memtest as memtest and memtest86. I did it several times with several different configurations and different RAM modules. The basic thing is that I used to run 2x1GB sticks of the same ram at 1066mhz fine without crashing. I had issues with them until i set the voltage to 2.1v then everything was fine. Then I bought 2x2GB to = 4GB of the same RAM and it crashes continuosly at 1066mhz with every setting I've tried and resetting the mobo cmos etc. It will run fine at 800mhz with any setting. It won't at 1066.

I'm really considering flashing my bios to a new revision since I know they've enhanced the compatibility with memory. I want to make sure there's no other option first though.

quick and simple solution for you mate, if your saying your mobo is P5N32-E SLI then better check your motherboard manual. if you dont have one

here a link http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5N32-E%20SLI/e2929_P5N32-E_SLI.pdf

read the part about the specification summary unto the Memory part. i think it says that the mobo can only support a DDR2 module with frequency of 800/667/533 Mhz. no more no less

In that case your new memory which runs at 1066Mhz, will definitely caused you trouble.

quick and simple solution for you mate, if your saying your mobo is P5N32-E SLI then better check your motherboard manual. if you dont have one

here a link http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5N32-E%20SLI/e2929_P5N32-E_SLI.pdf

read the part about the specification summary unto the Memory part. i think it says that the mobo can only support a DDR2 module with frequency of 800/667/533 Mhz. no more no less

In that case your new memory which runs at 1066Mhz, will definitely caused you trouble.

Well you make a great point and if you registered just to post in my thread I really appreciate that. But, here's the thing: I had 2GB (2x1GB) of the same RAM and they ran at 1066mhz 5-5-5-15 2T 22 at 2.1V with no problems whatsoever. Now that I upgraded to 4GB (2x2GB) it won't run at 1066mhz.

If you test both sticks singly and you have the same issues and errors running memtest, then the issue would seem to the the motherboard's memory controller. I would contact ASUS regarding RMA. Let them know you have tested more than one stick singly and have errors.

Archived